Per Daily News: Giants Eyeing Beasley as FA Target and May Trade for Gabe Davis

ChevyVanMiller

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He has in a playoff game.  The word "shown" is past tense.

No reason to move on with him yet.  Last year during offseason he worked on getting into best shape which he did.  This offseason he needs to find a mentor and work on other football skills.

They should probably start with catching a football

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

Gabe Davis is nowhere near the problem people are making out. Great chemistry with josh. We just need another early round WR and players on that side of the ball. 

So he's nowhere near "not an excellent WR2"?

The standard for WR2 on elite teams is much different.

The second receiving option on the final 4 teams was Tee Higgins, Devonta Smith, Brandon Aiyuk and Juju Smith Shuster.    

And before anyone tries to claim Juju isn't a better receiver than Gabe......let me know when Gabe has his 1400+ yard receiving season and gets to 70% completion rate for his career.  

Gabe is a near ideal WR3..........a cheap big play threat.........like a slower Marquez Valdes Scantling..........but as a WR2 that will leave a contender wanting for a lot more. 

So he is every bit "the problem" that most people are making him out to be.   He's simply not good enough to be the second option on a team that expects to win a SB in the current NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

With Gabe in the final year of his contract and set to be FA, if indeed he seems to be at his absolute best for this Bills by the FO then surely the best value he’s going to have in a trade is now. Have to believe his production can be replicated by a FA acquisition or a draft prospect. 

Think Gabe can definitely do better but the question becomes financial numbers for next year if he does ascend into the production that we all had envisioned going into this season… Maybe a trade is the best thing for both parties. Gabe will produce on the Giants which will lead to a contract they can likely offer. 

If Chase Claypool warranted a 2nd rounder then Gabe is at absolute worst a 3rd round pick. 

Extend now or trade?

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So he's nowhere near "not an excellent WR2"?

The standard for WR2 on elite teams is much different.

The second receiving option on the final 4 teams was Tee Higgins, Devonta Smith, Brandon Aiyuk and Juju Smith Shuster.    

And before anyone tries to claim Juju isn't a better receiver than Gabe......let me know when Gabe has his 1400+ yard receiving season and gets to 70% completion rate for his career.  

Gabe is a near ideal WR3..........a cheap big play threat.........like a slower Marquez Valdes Scantling..........but as a WR2 that will leave a contender wanting for a lot more. 

So he is every bit "the problem" that most people are making him out to be.   He's simply not good enough to be the second option on a team that expects to win a SB in the current NFL.

That's what I said, draft a WR round 1. For a 4th round pick Gabe Davis has been great. 

Just now, london_bills said:

That's what I said, draft a WR round 1. For a 4th round pick Gabe Davis has been great. 

Well then you've completely misunderstood the issue with Gabe Davis then.    You don't get a handicapped yards and touchdowns in the NFL because your skill players weren't highly drafted.   They put too much faith in Davis and got burned.   

2 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

What's your Madden tag name?

If anyone on here wants to get smoked in madden.  I'm on Xbox 1. 

Almost bought the updated Xbox but I only game 5 hours a week and only play Madden, UFC, Cod (only with friends) and Rocket League

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

The author said that Davis has shown “#1 ability”….. lol.  And he gets paid to write 

He did.

For one game, he was a #1A++ WR.  That game had people everywhere, including this board, hyping him up as a future #1 WR.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

He did.

For one game, he was a #1A++ WR.  That game had people everywhere, including this board, hyping him up as a future #1 WR.

And what a game it was!

Let’s say he does end up getting traded or not making a second contract… what would someone have offered after that game?!

20/20… 😔

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

And what a game it was!

Let’s say he does end up getting traded or not making a second contract… what would someone have offered after that game?!

20/20… 😔

It's an impossible proposition though.  We needed a good #2, which he was absolutely projecting to be.  Keeping him may look like a weaker decision in hindsight, but at the time keeping him was objectively the right move especially with him on a rookie contract.

3 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

It's an impossible proposition though.  We needed a good #2, which he was absolutely projecting to be.  Keeping him may look like a weaker decision in hindsight, but at the time keeping him was objectively the right move especially with him on a rookie contract.

Can’t disagree. It was the right move. I still think he can become the receiver we all projected after that game. Logically it’s going to be tough to see him doing that here long term on team friendly financials.

He is absolutely a starter in the league, a reasonable if not solid #2, I just feel if you can get some value in a deal that brings in another rookie wage on the books it may work out better long term. He’s going to get a reasonable contract, especially if he repeats last (“underwhelming”) season numbers. 

The bigger question that determines how valuable he is going into this season is what production will you get if you ballpark 100 targets to Shakir, Knox or any other FA / prize rookie you draft….? Do you walk away with 50/850/6+ at a minimum?

8 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Get Davis out if you can. We already have one receiver with suspect hands in Knox. Can’t have two lining up at the same time 

I don’t understand why a professional wide receiver has difficulty catching the ball.  That’s like a surgeon who loses half of his patients in the operating room.   A taxi or bus driver that can’t drive.  An accountant that is bad at math.  …

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I don’t understand why a professional wide receiver has difficulty catching the ball.  That’s like a surgeon who loses half of his patients in the operating room.   A taxi or bus driver that can’t drive.  An accountant that is bad at math.  …

So you’re saying Gabe, during the offseason, cannot be a freelance surgeon who moonlights as a Lyft or Uber driver whilst doing his own taxes at the end of each fiscal year???

🤔

Edited by BBFL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.