CTE Treatment

peterpan

2 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I understand that at present, CTE can only be diagnosed during autopsy.

But, if a former football player is showing all the signs of a likely CTE diagnosis, is there any treatment that can prescribed?  

“Rub a little dirt in it and get back in there.”

- Mike McDaniel

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

Nope, it’s irreversible damage. My guess is there is management of symptoms but there is no cure for it. 

The medical field barely knows how the brain or the central nervous system works. There are so many syndromes that are supposedly idiopathic. Idiopathic just means they don’t know how it happens and is a fancy way to make you feel better about yourself. Most of them are most certainly either a brain or nervous system malfunction. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, peterpan said:

But, if a former football player is showing all the signs of a likely CTE diagnosis, is there any treatment that can prescribed?  

Can’t think of any treatment available. It seems that the nfl, players, and most fans don’t want to discuss this anymore. NFL doesn’t want to discuss because they don’t want to lose 💰. They could care less about players health (immediate or long term). Players don’t want to talk about it because let’s face it, most of us don’t want to think about our health issues either, so we ignore while it gets worse. And fans don’t want to think about it because that might ruin their fun. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

Nope…..maybe Alzheimer’s and dementia research/ treatments/cures could lead to a possible treatment.

I think that the medical profession is very early in its research to define and understand this condition, to say nothing of treating it.  Conditions affecting the brain are notoriously difficult to treat because when brain cells die, they're gone permanently.  The remaining cells can produce new synapses (connections) to recover some lost functions but the brain's capacity to do this is limited.  Success in rehabilitation in conditions like stroke so depends how mild or severe the damage is.

There are some studies that show increases in neuroplasticity with treatments of psychedelics. It’s very early in the research stage thanks to the schedule 1 legality issues. There are some notable examples of former fighters, solders, etc using psychedelics to help cure depression, ptsd, and other problems which are often symptoms of CTE. I’d have to look for more information, but there’s a bunch of literature one can dig through. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

There are some studies that show increases in neuroplasticity with treatments of psychedelics. It’s very early in the research stage thanks to the schedule 1 legality issues. There are some notable examples of former fighters, solders, etc using psychedelics to help cure depression, ptsd, and other problems which are often symptoms of CTE. I’d have to look for more information, but there’s a bunch of literature one can dig through. 

Hopkins and a bunch of other major research institutions are doing studies on this. Pretty interesting stuff. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Michael1962 said:

I have had some results with growth hormone secretagogues with any non-healing process in the body.  The brand I have used is Meditropin from Nutraceutics.  It is not likely to be a complete cure but in some patients it may help.

Thanks, I gotta look into that.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, peterpan said:

Not much to be done about it at present, the players are basically screwed when it comes to CTE, that’s a big reason why the league keeps it hush hush, and wants no part of any responsibility concerning it. 

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Not much to be done about it at present, the players are basically screwed when it comes to CTE, that’s a big reason why the league keeps it hush hush, and wants no part of any responsibility concerning it. 

It's why more and more players are retiring earlier. through the 2000's it was pretty common to see a player play 10-12+ years in the league at most positions. Now players seemingly retire after about 8 or so years. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’ve seen something about that! Maybe on 60 Minutes? It was a bit shocking. I think they also used it effectively in some cases to battle addictions. 

It amazes me how we think we are so advanced in so many ways, but we don’t know basic things about how our own brains work. (Or what kind of aliens can be found at the bottom of the ocean! 😋)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’ve seen something about that! Maybe on 60 Minutes? It was a bit shocking. I think they also used it effectively in some cases to battle addictions. 

It amazes me how we think we are so advanced in so many ways, but we don’t know basic things about how our own brains work. (Or what kind of aliens can be found at the bottom of the ocean! 😋)

Probably didn’t help that no one was allowed to research any of this for decades lest their patients brains get cracked into a hot skillet like and egg. 🤪 

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Probably didn’t help that no one was allowed to research any of this for decades lest their patients brains get cracked into a hot skillet like and egg. 🤪 

Great! Now I’m hungry! 😂 

I remember the brain on drugs commercials. Despite everything else. 

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

No truth to this at all. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.