Per Shefty - Bills “expected to lose” Poyer and Edmunds

BeastMode54

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes. As a matter of fact I remember the day, posting on the board as everyone was trying to figure out how we could pay him the expected $14-15M/yr, and everyone was pissed he was going to walk. And then the tweet hit that he signed at $11M. But most of us expected he was gone.

I get it....I'm just saying me personally I felt confident they would work out what was needed and Milano wasn't going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Simon changed the title to [Vague Title]

We dont need Edmunds. With that money we can keep Taiwan Jones, Matakevich, Klein and Marlowe.

13 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

I think Edmunds is going to be disappointed the market won’t pay him

We will see. I expect he will get a big contract. Not a ton of guys with his age, measurables, and experience. Someone will pay. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

We’re gonna miss Tremaine more than most think.  Good thing McBeane drafted his replacement last year 🙄

We will.  He was criticized here quite often - but he was an impactful player.  We can't really replace him, but if we get a capable LB in FA or the draft, we'll be okay.  Personally, I haven't given up on Bernard yet.

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Bigvinny said:

Nobody fears the Bills defense. They need a nasty dude in the middle. 

Mixon? 

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We dont need Edmunds. With that money we can keep Taiwan Jones, Matakevich, Klein and Marlowe.

We will see. I expect he will get a big contract. Not a ton of guys with his age, measurables, and experience. Someone will pay. 

You joke about those 3 but they are as important as others we drafted.  I'd take any of those 3 over AJE, Basham, etc. It was telling we had to bring In Marlowe and Klein for depth. 

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Mixon? 

You joke about those 3 but they are as important as others we drafted.  I'd take any of those 3 over AJE, Basham, etc. It was telling we had to bring In Marlowe and Klein for depth. 

And sign Beasley and brown as off the street wrs

• Thank you (+1) 1

I enjoy the random commentators on these networks bemoaning the fact we've moved on from Frazier, likely losing Poyer and Edmunds.. meanwhile most who follow the team think the organization finally "gets it", provided this speculation comes true. 

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

And sign Beasley and brown as off the street wrs

The point is lost that we drafted poorly for depth and skill to try to strike gold in late round potential, early round luxury picks, etc.  Basham,the Clemson LB, Shakir, etc are examples 

20 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I expect he’ll sign somewhere else for 14-15. As Beane suggested tagging at 21 was not an option because the tag level was dragged up by the edge rushers.  Still 14-15 ought to buy you a reliable OLman if you do your homework. 

Edited by Charles Romes

I'm fine with it if they lose both.  I'd prefer they find a way to keep Edmunds, but if the production they get is less than what they pay, let him go just find a replacement.  Poyer I have no problem with at all.  I'm not saying a rookie or free agent will be BETTER than him, but even at a supposed 'cerebral' position like Safety, the NFL has changed just in the past few years where you might be better off with more youth and speed/athleticism on your back end than someone who is a 'decent' athlete but who's strength is above the shoulders.

1 hour ago, Success said:

I've been pretty big on keeping Edmunds - but I'd also be okay if we used that money elsewhere. They can probably get another effective LB for half the price; not as impactful as Edmunds, but we don't necessarily need that if we shore up other areas.

I agree completely. I want to keep Tremaine, but would it be better to have him, or sign both Okereke and Nate Davis for the same price.

• Like (+1) 1

When you have a defensive minded coach that has the reputation that McDermott has, it should be expected that you get a little extra boost with scheme and coaching. Obviously talent and players are important, but when you specialize on that side of the ball, you should not need top payed players at every position to make your defense work. To this point, I think more has been invested into players, both money and picks, on the defensive side of the ball than should have been necessary to put a respectable defense on the field. 

I think the organization has the right idea on offense. It's a big play, passing league and that's what they've been trying to do scheme wise which is great, but with so much invested on the defensive side of the ball, they just haven't had the horses on offense to execute the way they need to. So it's time to shift some focus to the offense and give the scheme they want to run a shot to do so. That starts up front on the line and making sure Allen doesn't have a dude in his face a split second after the snap. Hard to push the ball down the field when you're constantly just trying to avoid garbage in the backfield and trying to read a defense at the same time. So get some real lineman in here and give Allen a chance to read what's actually going on.

Then, of course, get him more receiving help. We need speed and guys that can actually hold onto the ball. Right now Diggs is the only player besides Allen that defenses have to fear. If you can't add at least another one or two guys on offense that defenses actually respect, then it will remain difficult to move the ball consistently. Yes, we had a good scoring offense last season statistically. But a lot of that was because we have a freakshow at QB that can cover up for so many other mistakes. It's time to make Allen's job easier. That can be done by letting some of the higher priced defensive players walk and investing more resources into the offense while hoping your defensive guru coach can make up for some of the lack of superstars on defense and put a solid defense on the field regardless. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I've been pretty big on keeping Edmunds - but I'd also be okay if we used that money elsewhere. They can probably get another effective LB for half the price; not as impactful as Edmunds, but we don't necessarily need that if we shore up other areas.

This right here. But they gotta get a few clear upgrades, not band-aids.

• Like (+1) 2

Poyer used to play for Cleveland. He should know the grass isn't always greener. Edmunds doesn't know anything other than being on a playoff team. Send him to Chicago or Houston and he can get his $ and be miserable 

I agree to spending the money on the offense. Get a big time #1b receiver like Hopkins and score more points to make up for the lack of a defense 

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

Poyer used to play for Cleveland. He should know the grass isn't always greener. Edmunds doesn't know anything other than being on a playoff team. Send him to Chicago or Houston and he can get his $ and be miserable 

why are you against these guys? Most likely Bills are not offering contracts so it's not like they're leaving because they want to. Plus you can't "send" them anywhere

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.