Per Shefty - Bills “expected to lose” Poyer and Edmunds

BeastMode54

22 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I disagree to an extent. They got cheap production for essentially 4 years and a fifth-year option. I think it was a worthy gamble, but Fred Warner went in the third round. In hindsight, I think you let the draft come to you. I think they kind of forced this pick. I think taking an inside off-ball linebacker is ok in the back half, especially if you are getting the best one. 

I think it's fair to pay him in that 12 million-a-year range. 19-20 is absurd. 

The first round is for QBs, WRs, Edge sack getting players, and left tackles and corners imo. 

That's interesting.  Thanks.  

So, if a team tried to get a top 10 player at each position group, they would have a cap hit of $191.5M for 10 players.

Cap this year is $224.8M.  

LOL, don't need to be a math wizard to know that wouldn't work!

• Like (+1) 1

Losing both in the short term will hurt.  The Edmunds haters will be happy but his loss will really impact the pass defense.  Reload with rookies and possibly a FA player or two will transform this defense.  No longer thinking Super Bowl this season.  Daunting schedule will be trial by fire for the new guys.  Long term this team will be set. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know he had his issues but I think Edmunds is going to be a pretty big loss. I know we were losing Poyer last off-season. 

Having him play out of position did him ho favors.   Fascinating is how people outside of Buffalo view him.  I was at the Chicago game and the fans next to us said they were hoping to get him in the off season.  Where ever he goes, I wish him the best.  I think he is ready to become a dominant player.

3 hours ago, sven233 said:

When you have a defensive minded coach that has the reputation that McDermott has, it should be expected that you get a little extra boost with scheme and coaching. Obviously talent and players are important, but when you specialize on that side of the ball, you should not need top payed players at every position to make your defense work. To this point, I think more has been invested into players, both money and picks, on the defensive side of the ball than should have been necessary to put a respectable defense on the field. 

I think the organization has the right idea on offense. It's a big play, passing league and that's what they've been trying to do scheme wise which is great, but with so much invested on the defensive side of the ball, they just haven't had the horses on offense to execute the way they need to. So it's time to shift some focus to the offense and give the scheme they want to run a shot to do so. That starts up front on the line and making sure Allen doesn't have a dude in his face a split second after the snap. Hard to push the ball down the field when you're constantly just trying to avoid garbage in the backfield and trying to read a defense at the same time. So get some real lineman in here and give Allen a chance to read what's actually going on.

Then, of course, get him more receiving help. We need speed and guys that can actually hold onto the ball. Right now Diggs is the only player besides Allen that defenses have to fear. If you can't add at least another one or two guys on offense that defenses actually respect, then it will remain difficult to move the ball consistently. Yes, we had a good scoring offense last season statistically. But a lot of that was because we have a freakshow at QB that can cover up for so many other mistakes. It's time to make Allen's job easier. That can be done by letting some of the higher priced defensive players walk and investing more resources into the offense while hoping your defensive guru coach can make up for some of the lack of superstars on defense and put a solid defense on the field regardless. 

Great Fn post man. 100

When our offense was going backwards or huge negative plays - we’re bc saffold and Spencer brown were getting beat IMMEDIATELY 

• Like (+1) 5

48 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Even when you look at those contracts....Smith is good but probably isn't worth the contract that he just got. His career has been very up and down.

Leonard has been hurt, had multiple surgeries on his back, lost feeling in his lower half, etc. Plus when he was out, Bobby Owereke was just as good, that one is looking like a miss imo.

Warner is the only one who probably deserves the contract he got and even so there are a bunch of voidable years and such in there. If they let Warner walk and re-sign Al-Shaiir they probably get close to equal production.

The CJ Mosely contract even looks like a dud.

Tremaine would be a very poor investment, as pretty much any off-ball linebacker is when you start approaching 20 million AAV. 

Smith - they traded for... felt like an overpay but he was good for them last year.

Leonard was 1st team all-pro 3/4 years so... usually the type of guy you want to pay and keep.

Mosley's deal is bad because he played 2 games through the first 2 years of the deal.  Before that he was one of the best ILBs in football, and the last 2 years he has been a good player.  

Tremaine has made less of an impact in 5 seasons, than any of these guys did.  I just don't see how it ends up well for the team signing him at that number. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Nitro said:

Having him play out of position did him ho favors.   Fascinating is how people outside of Buffalo view him.  I was at the Chicago game and the fans next to us said they were hoping to get him in the off season.  Where ever he goes, I wish him the best.  I think he is ready to become a dominant player.

Edmunds isn’t a flashy player. So how would they know if he’s good or not unless they watched every bills game?

I think the media portrays Edmunds as a “good” player and he’s a relatively “big name”. 

Us bills fans have watched him for 5 years and we still can’t come to a consensus whether he’s good or not haha 

• Like (+1) 2

Wingspan often makes the extraordinary look ordinary. There is no MLB in the league with the range of Edmunds. His pass disruption radius is immense. No doubt Jack Campbell would be a step backwards into the 1990s. The Bills probably will need to find the tallest most athletic LB they can find.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Losing both in the short term will hurt.  The Edmunds haters will be happy but his loss will really impact the pass defense.  Reload with rookies and possibly a FA player or two will transform this defense.  No longer thinking Super Bowl this season.  Daunting schedule will be trial by fire for the new guys.  Long term this team will be set. 

I never rule it out - the best team from the offseason rarely wins the super bowl.  Hell, the best team during the season doesn't even win it most of the time. 

Punch a ticket - thats the goal.  If the jets get rodgers, and the dolphins get brady blah blah blah.  I don't care - win the 9 or 10 games and get to the playoffs.  Then anything can happen.  Focus on getting healthy, and playing your best ball in january.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed. I still think we tried to force him to being a MLB when he would have been an all pro at OLB. He’s still so young and freaky talented that it’s going to suck to see if he puts it all together on another team.

It'll be interesting to see if this occurs and I do wonder if Edmunds himself wants out because he's not that comfortable in the MLB position and wants to move outside.

32 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

No doubt Jack Campbell would be a step backwards into the 1990s.

I don't agree with that at all. Campbell doesn't have the sideline to sideline range that Edmunds does but he isn't just a downhill thumper. He is at least competent moving laterally and he can more than hold his own in zone coverage. It's just that his instincts make him special instead of his athleticism.

Well given the cap i'm thinking this was probably a fore gone conclusion last preseason when they couldn't come to a extention .

Then Poyer getting the highest paid agent there is in Rosenhouse kind of sent out a sign of his intentions as far as getting the biggest contract he could he played his best for us & that's alls we can ask .

If it's their time to move on thank you Po & Tremaine for all you gave the team . Go Bills !! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.