Per Shefty - Bills “expected to lose” Poyer and Edmunds

BeastMode54

55 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't know if it equates to a worse D. We basically played the whole year without Hyde and half without White and Miller.  We get them back and hopefully some day 3 picks step up like Benford and Hamlin did when needed 

Almost everyone missed time with injuries.  Taron Johnson was the only person to not miss a game. 

DBs:

Hyde Missed most of the season.

Poyer missed 4 games.

Hamlin missed the rest of the season. 

White missed camp, and several games.

Jackson missed a game and was on the injury report for others.

Benford hit IR and missed 7 weeks.

Elam missed 2 games.

LBs:

Milano missed a game and was on injury report.

Edmunds missed 3 games and was on injury report for a 4th.

DL: 

Miller missed 5 reg season and playoffs.

Rousseau missed 3 games, and didn't seem as effective when he returned (Seemed rushed after Miller hit IR). 

Epenesa and Basham both missed a game

Oliver missed 3 games and was on injury report for 2 others.

Daquan Jones missed the Bengals game.

Phillips missed time with 2 injuries, and was on injury report several times.

Settle was on injury report and missed a week.  

Ankou went to IR for 5 games and likely returned in time to replace an injured daquan jones. 

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Success said:

Checking around the internet, most NFL fans think that Edmunds will get a boatload of money from a team that has a lot more cap space.

For another team, it would be similar to the kind of "big" signing we had during the drought - when we could overpay for a more marquee player, but still had a pretty flawed team.

We're not that anymore.  The more I think about it, the better I am with spending money where it is more needed.  

I could ask the question.  Do the KC Chiefs sign a MLB to that kind of money?  I think that answer is no.

The Buffalo Bills are now a mature team that has to be selective to where the big money goes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Pretty big indictment on Tremaine.

Beane talks constantly about drafting and retaining.  But they are going to let a 24 y/o first round pick team captain walk without giving him a second contract?

This is the fallout of the bad Von Miller signing.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

THIS

People keep acting like we’re losing Edmunds and Poyer off the defense that finished the year.  

If people want to doubt Von, Micah and Tre’s ability to come back from injury, fair.. but this defense we will field at some point in ‘23 has Von Miller, a healthy Tre White and Micah Hyde. 

I would add in 2014 we had high hopes for the D and then Kiko went out who everyone is high on. They filled his spot with a cheap vet in Brandon Spikes and moved along fine. I have no problem saying Poyer and Edmunds are very good players and losing them is a hit. I also will say though the Bills have good players in Milano, Hyde, Von, T. Johnson, White, Groot, DaQuan Jones, and Oliver (well sometimes) and they will have a full offseason to figure it out and retool the defense. Last year the biggest issue for the Bills defense was the amount of attrition they had across the board at D which just didn't stop. Losing Poyer in the offseason is tough, but losing him midseason where replacements are super thin and gameplan is hard to adjust is much tougher. The Bills defense in 2020 was statistically middle of the road but the offense carried the load and things went pretty well. We just might be more bend not break this year.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ElMarko said:

"Daquan Jones missed the Bengals game."

This says it all. The minute I heard he was scratched for injury while tailgating I knew they wouldnt stop the run and be guessing all day. 

Probably wouldn’t have changed the outcome (win vs loss) but him missing the game was a big deal.   Made the margin of error for the offense much smaller. 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes. As a matter of fact I remember the day, posting on the board as everyone was trying to figure out how we could pay him the expected $14-15M/yr, and everyone was pissed he was going to walk. And then the tweet hit that he signed at $11M. But most of us expected he was gone.

Greg Cosell has been quoted as saying the Bills probably have one of the best value contracts in the NFL with Milano and his production.  

When I want to think about being upset losing Edmonds, I think of Joe Mixon behind backups carving us up because DaQuan Jones was out.  And we looked lost.  

That said, what these guys mean to this group is what matters - and can’t help but worry they themselves believe a window has closed.  

Diggs is sure acting that way.   

Beane has serious work to do.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know he had his issues but I think Edmunds is going to be a pretty big loss. I know we were losing Poyer last off-season. 

Yes - but at that price point i don't think there's value.  There's a lower tier of player that can be productive in our defense, and there are some cut players like Kendricks or Wagner who would bring some solid stability there for a year or two (and maximize any type of compensatory pick formula). 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

This is the fallout of the bad Von Miller signing.

The fallout of getting a hall of fame DE which is what we needed. Edmunds had plenty of time to show he’s a consistent game changer. He hasn’t been. KC won with a very average D. Help JA feed the O.. score more points !

2 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Losing Edmunds, Poyer and Leslie Frazier are massive losses. But it’s hard giving Edmunds a massive contract when Matt Milano is the far superior player. 

When statistically the defense is at its worst every time Milano is out (since 2017) you see a guys value. No doubt Edmunds will hurt, but their are suitable replacements. What Milano has provided is far more irreplaceable imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

When I want to think about being upset losing Edmonds, I think of Joe Mixon behind backups carving us up because DaQuan Jones was out.  And we looked lost.  

That said, what these guys mean to this group is what matters - and can’t help but worry they themselves believe a window has closed.  

Diggs is sure acting that way.   

Beane has serious work to do.   

Diggs is going to be 30 next year... i think his concern is the window is closing for him personally.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.