2023 Early Schedule Notes & Thoughts

corta765

I am finally awakening from my winter slumber (aka Bills depression) and moving to 2023. There is still much to happen with free agency and the draft before we get to the schedule release, but we are in the time of the year where leaks will start coming. For those of you who are not aware of what some of the schedule quirks are for 2023 here is a primer along with some thoughts on the Bills and NFL itself:

Updates:

-Starting in 2023 weeks 14-18 will have flex scheduling for the Monday Night Games. We have seen that some late season games on MNF become dogs and the Broncos implosion weekly on a national basis certainly help contribute to this change lol (just kidding but for real that was bad)

-Black Friday will have a game and it will be offered free on Amazon prime

-Monday night football will open weeks 1-3 with doubleheaders each week

-The hall of fame game is Friday August 4th Browns v Jets to open the NFL preseason

-Teams are allowed a maximum of 5 primetime games plus the ability to be flexed in later. Apparently the Saturday night games do not count the same as the Bills had 5 plus Miami on a Saturday last year

-NFL Sunday Ticket is moving to Youtube this season and you can purchase it through there

-KC will be opening the NFL season on Thursday September 7th

-KC is also in Germany this season and the game is supposed to be in November. The Patriots also host a game in London

-Bills, Titans, and Jags all will host in London

-The AFC has 9 home games this year although the 5 AFC teams above will "lose" a home game to abroad

NFL Thoughts:

-Peter King touched on this on his FMIA column on the 20th of Feb but the NFL has many partners to share games with for primetime matchups. CBS, FOX, ESPN, NBC, YouTube, & Prime all split the share of the best matchups. If CBS got Bills Chiefs in 22, NBC got Bills Chiefs in 21, and Fox got Bills Chiefs in 20, it is possible ESPN begs for it chance to get the matchup.

-Remember a primetime window is the 4pm/4:25pm Sunday slot. It does not count in the teams night game allotment but it does qualify is getting national attention. PHI KC rematching at 4:25 is just as big as Sunday night to the NFL.

-The NFL and Chiefs have many options for the opening game and the list is long of quality opponents. The NFL rarely puts one of its truly premier matchups on opening night and last years Bills Rams was actually down compared to the year prior.

-Last year the Lions were the only team without a primetime game until they got flexed week 18... I expect that to be quite different

-NYC should see a return to the bright lights at night as the G-Man made the playoffs and the Jets showed marked improvement and most likely will land Rodgers or Jimmy G. Last year the Jets had just single night game (TNF vs Jags) and the Giants only had one also (MNF) although they played DAL on Thanksgiving and also played in England.

-The NFL's extra game is paying off in spades this year as the Chiefs and Eagles rematch and it continues to produce some high caliber matchups CIN-MIN, BAL-DET, SF-JAX, and LAC-DAL.

-Finally while this draft has a very interesting and talented group of passers I would not expect a major primetime billing for them. Two reasons for this, 1. There is not a guarantee they start and the NFL tends to avoid overloading bottom teams with primetime games AND 2. the projected top QB needy teams are IND, CAR, HOU, and LV. Not exactly a media market murders row there.

Bills Thoughts:

-The Bills draw quite well on primetime and Josh Allen is a superstar that people love. The NFL views them as contenders so I would not expect much of a reduction in primetime matchups

-I would expect a scaling back of the Bills playing in non Sunday games. Last year Buffalo played 7 games not on Sunday compared to the Chiefs for example who played just 3 games. With how chaotic last year became and the team probably looking to center their focus on the task at hand a bit more I would not be surprised to see the team itself request less non Sunday games. The Bills played three times on Thursday alone last year (at Rams, at DET, at NE).

-Speaking of Thursday now that the Bills are the Thanksgiving champions (DAL 19, NOLA 21, & DET 22) I would not be surprised to see them also request a normal thanksgiving and no black friday game.

-On the flipside the Bills have seemingly liked the Saturday game the week before Xmas as they have played in 2019 (atNE), 2020 (atDen), and 2022 (MIA) on that Saturday. My bet is the NFL puts Buffalo in that window again with a division opponent.

-The Bills have had at least one game in primetime in division for the last three seasons and I could see the Bills having at least two games again this year. MIA is not a ratings beast, but both games were competitive last year and they have some star power at WR. The Jets if they get Rodgers will hit the 5 game max, but even with Jimmy G I could see the Bills facing them on MNF or TNF. Of any of the three division foes NE may be the one left at the table unless they add a QB like Lamar or some other star branded player.

-Finally Buffalo has not played a division opponent week 1 for two years and they typically play a division foe to open the season 50% of the time. For some reason the Jets have been the focal point week 1 most of the time as the Bills last opened against NE in 2013 and MIA in 2010. My guess is the Bills play one of the three to open the year. A popular rumor has been the Bills at the Jets MNF to open the season, but I have wondered if BUF asks for a home game week 1 and they get the Pats finally.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

The AFC gets 9 home games this year. Just guessing here but since the Bills opened on the road last year vs LA, I would guess a home game week 1. If the Jets get Rodgers, then one of those games is a good bet to be on primetime with Allen and Rodgers. Also, with the NFCE on the schedule this year that means a few more possibilities for primetime games. Anyone from that division with the exception of Washington would make for a good primetime matchup.

Week 1 - Jets at Home - Sunday 1 PM

I also think that the Bills will get the inaugural Black Friday game.  After playing 3X on Thanksgiving over the past 4 years, I think the NFL would love to reward the Bills with a holiday home game. 

A 3PM Friday game would be a massive party tailgating scene, and I for one, am all in on that possibility

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Week 1 - Jets at Home - Sunday 1 PM

I also think that the Bills will get the inaugural Black Friday game.  After playing 3X on Thanksgiving over the past 4 years, I think the NFL would love to reward the Bills with a holiday home game. 

A 3PM Friday game would be a massive party tailgating scene, and I for one, am all in on that possibility

As I said above based off the Bills pressor I think they want some normalcy this year and to be away from that window and back to just a regular TNF game. I could be wrong but that just seems to be more a popular fan thing. Additionally it is the NFL and rather then waste a Bills matchup for a Friday game that will already draw ratings they probably will throw a lesser opponent set out.

I think the Buffalo Bills are going to play a lot of early home games because parking is going to be a problem once the new Buffalo Bills stadium breaks ground this spring. So I am thinking that the Bills will want to get as many home games as possible out of the way before winter plays a part too. So I would look for a lot of road games at the end of the season. I also wonder if the Buffalo Bills make the playoffs if the Bills even host a playoff game or instead neutral site game? Look at Sofi Stadium and the new Los Angeles Clippers arena going up in Ingewood? It’s a mess I don’t think things are going to run as smoothly as the Buffalo Bills think? The reality is that the Buffalo Bills don’t know? The Bills hope things will run smoothly with traffic and parking with construction every where. The Buffalo Bills should have played in Cleveland or Pittsburgh until this new Bills stadium was built what a potential mess in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Oh man.  I was not tracking that Sunday Ticket was moving to YouTube?   Will the ability to DVR/record the games to watch later still be an available feature?  Normally I can't watch the game on Sunday until after my children's travel sports games.   DirecTV would let me record the Sunday Ticket games for the Bills so that I could watch it later.    I am petrified I won't be able to do this with  YouTube!!

13 minutes ago, DCBills_OG said:

Oh man.  I was not tracking that Sunday Ticket was moving to YouTube?   Will the ability to DVR/record the games to watch later still be an available feature?  Normally I can't watch the game on Sunday until after my children's travel sports games.   DirecTV would let me record the Sunday Ticket games for the Bills so that I could watch it later.    I am petrified I won't be able to do this with  YouTube!!

Not sure and great question.

As for the game in DC I am wondering how they place it. Bills were last in DC in 2015 and it was a late season game in DEC. Since then Bills played WSH in Nov (2019) and week 2 (2021). I know the NFL tries to change when teams play each time they visit the opposing conference so fans get a chance to see them at a different time of year. The Bills are almost for sure in London in October, I wonder if WSH game is around then to keep game time at 1pm for players body clocks and its early then in 2016.

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You just know Bills Chiefs will be Thanksgiving Night 

NFL would never put it then. Wayyy too valuable a game when they can't capture all the eyeballs. My guess is Bills Chiefs are MNF this year in December.

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

I am finally awakening from my winter slumber (aka Bills depression) and moving to 2023. There is still much to happen with free agency and the draft before we get to the schedule release, but we are in the time of the year where leaks will start coming. For those of you who are not aware of what some of the schedule quirks are for 2023 here is a primer along with some thoughts on the Bills and NFL itself:

Updates:

-Starting in 2023 weeks 14-18 will have flex scheduling for the Monday Night Games. We have seen that some late season games on MNF become dogs and the Broncos implosion weekly on a national basis certainly help contribute to this change lol (just kidding but for real that was bad)

-The hall of fame game is Friday August 4th Browns v Jets to open the NFL preseason

-Teams are allowed a maximum of 5 primetime games plus the ability to be flexed in later. Apparently the Saturday night games do not count the same as the Bills had 5 plus Miami on a Saturday last year

-NFL Sunday Ticket is moving to Youtube this season and you can purchase it through there

-KC is also in Germany this season and the game is supposed to be in November. The Patriots also host a game in London

-The AFC has 9 home games this year although the 5 AFC teams above will "lose" a home game to abroad

NFL Thoughts:

-Peter King touched on this on his FMIA column on the 20th of Feb but the NFL has many partners to share games with for primetime matchups. CBS, FOX, ESPN, NBC, YouTube, & Prime all split the share of the best matchups. If CBS got Bills Chiefs in 22, NBC got Bills Chiefs in 21, and Fox got Bills Chiefs in 20, it is possible ESPN begs for it chance to get the matchup.

-Remember a primetime window is the 4pm/4:25pm Sunday slot. It does not count in the teams night game allotment but it does qualify is getting national attention. PHI KC rematching at 4:25 is just as big as Sunday night to the NFL.

-The NFL and Chiefs have many options for the opening game and the list is long of quality opponents. The NFL rarely puts one of its truly premier matchups on opening night and last years Bills Rams was actually down compared to the year prior.

-Last year the Lions were the only team without a primetime game until they got flexed week 18... I expect that to be quite different

-NYC should see a return to the bright lights at night as the G-Man made the playoffs and the Jets showed marked improvement and most likely will land Rodgers or Jimmy G. Last year the Jets had just single night game (TNF vs Jags) and the Giants only had one also (MNF) although they played DAL on Thanksgiving and also played in England.

-The NFL's extra game is paying off in spades this year as the Chiefs and Eagles rematch and it continues to produce some high caliber matchups CIN-MIN, BAL-DET, SF-JAX, and LAC-DAL.

-Finally while this draft has a very interesting and talented group of passers I would not expect a major primetime billing for them. Two reasons for this, 1. There is not a guarantee they start and the NFL tends to avoid overloading bottom teams with primetime games AND 2. the projected top QB needy teams are IND, CAR, HOU, and LV. Not exactly a media market murders row there.

Bills Thoughts:

-The Bills draw quite well on primetime and Josh Allen is a superstar that people love. The NFL views them as contenders so I would not expect much of a reduction in primetime matchups

-I would expect a scaling back of the Bills playing in non Sunday games. Last year Buffalo played 7 games not on Sunday compared to the Chiefs for example who played just 3 games. With how chaotic last year became and the team probably looking to center their focus on the task at hand a bit more I would not be surprised to see the team itself request less non Sunday games. The Bills played three times on Thursday alone last year (at Rams, at DET, at NE).

-Speaking of Thursday now that the Bills are the Thanksgiving champions (DAL 19, NOLA 21, & DET 22) I would not be surprised to see them also request a normal thanksgiving and no black friday game.

-On the flipside the Bills have seemingly liked the Saturday game the week before Xmas as they have played in 2019 (atNE), 2020 (atDen), and 2022 (MIA) on that Saturday. My bet is the NFL puts Buffalo in that window again with a division opponent.

-The Bills have had at least one game in primetime in division for the last three seasons and I could see the Bills having at least two games again this year. MIA is not a ratings beast, but both games were competitive last year and they have some star power at WR. The Jets if they get Rodgers will hit the 5 game max, but even with Jimmy G I could see the Bills facing them on MNF or TNF. Of any of the three division foes NE may be the one left at the table unless they add a QB like Lamar or some other star branded player.

-Finally Buffalo has not played a division opponent week 1 for two years and they typically play a division foe to open the season 50% of the time. For some reason the Jets have been the focal point week 1 most of the time as the Bills last opened against NE in 2013 and MIA in 2010. My guess is the Bills play one of the three to open the year. A popular rumor has been the Bills at the Jets MNF to open the season, but I have wondered if BUF asks for a home game week 1 and they get the Pats finally.

One small clarification and maybe you were implying this,  4:05 games are NOT in the prime time window only 4:25 games.  4:05 starts are regional games just like the 1:00 except usually have a west coast home team.  Those games are usually only viewed in the two cites of the teams playing, plus teams that had a 1:00 game that was on whatever network has the doubleheader game that week, so the 4:05 game would be shown instead of a 1:00 game on TV opposite their own game.

19 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You just know Bills Chiefs will be Thanksgiving Night 

The KC game is on the road again. The Bills already played at Dallas, at New Orleans, and at Detroit on Thanksgiving recently. I doubt the league would have them play a 4th road game. If the Bills get another game on Thanksgiving, it will probably be the night game at home. 

19 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Big hope is the Bills at Miami is later in the year if not an evening/night matchup.  Playing without the natural shade of the stadium is a wildly unfair home field advantage and it is not safe, especially for 300lb+ lineman running.  The NFLPA should object to exposing players to such conditions.  

I have wondered if the NFL puts Buffalo in MIA week 18 as it could have divisional implications, we haven’t played MIA week 18 since 2020, and we haven’t been on the road to end a season since 2017.

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One small clarification and maybe you were implying this,  4:05 games are NOT in the prime time window only 4:25 games.  4:05 starts are regional games just like the 1:00 except usually have a west coast home team.  Those games are usually only viewed in the two cites of the teams playing, plus teams that had a 1:00 game that was on whatever network has the doubleheader game that week, so the 4:05 game would be shown instead of a 1:00 game on TV opposite their own game.

Correct I mean 425/430. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

Updates:

NFL Thoughts:

Bills Thoughts:

Breaking news— LA and NY teams share stadiums. Those teams will get a few more outside sunday games because of that

the initial schedule will have max of 5 prime time games.

because of Monday night flexing you might see more “sexier games” in December to have multiple flexing options.

would the jacksonville game go to London and jacksonville play consecutive weeks in Europe?

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

would the jacksonville game go to London and jacksonville play consecutive weeks in Europe?

I have wondered this myself. It would be a bit of a true advantage as their body clocks and routine would be set.

22 hours ago, corta765 said:

-Last year the Lions were the only team without a primetime game until they got flexed week 18... I expect that to be quite different.

The Lions were a good team last year, their record just didn't show it.

Final record 9-8

Of those 8 losses, five were by 4 points or less.  

8 of their games overall, they scored 30 points or more.  Three of those games were over 40 points.  

Edited by Just Jack

3 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

The Lions were a good team last year, their record just didn't show it.

Final record 9-8

Of those 8 losses, five were by 4 points or less.  

8 of their games overall, they scored 30 points or more.  Three of those games were over 40 points.  

Oh yea they turned into a team that was pretty fun to watch and advanced stats really liked as a whole. No way they don't land some primetime games this year, but I do understand why heading into last season they did not get much press.

The hard part is here now for the Lions as people saw what they did and the belief is they are a good team/playoff team this year. Like the Bills in 2019 you gotta now prove that this isn't a fluke (I don't think it is). Also the division is pretty wide open so if ever there is a year they have a shot this is it for the first time in a while. I will have a division outlook post sooner then later pre draft/fa

1 hour ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Reassuring Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

There are books in the Bible shorter than this. But good job!

lol looks like I got Jesus on something! I try to be detailed in posts even if long.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.