Aaron Rodgers talking with the Jets

Matt_In_NH

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

@DrDawkinstein, did you take the day off to celebrate St. Patty's Day? 2 AFCE teams made the playoffs last year. Bills and Dolphins. 

Also the comment I quoted is below...and you are talking about the Patriots....which would be a 4th team, who has very little hype to live up to this year....

Toss one back for me please.

Ha! Good catch, I guess my brain remembered the Pats being in the hunt at the end and forgetting the Ravens snuck in, and the Chargers are just so forgettable :thumbsup:

Either way, I could still see all 3 teams make it and the Pats sitting out.

See you at the parade!! :beer::beer::beer:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

I keep hearing Green Bay can wait for months to close this deal the way his contract and pay deadline is structured, but isn’t the draft really the deadline? They want this years pick before the draft, right? Am I missing something? 

It might. Wilson grew up idolizing the guy. 🤷‍♂️ 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Ha! Good catch, I guess my brain remembered the Pats being in the hunt at the end and forgetting the Ravens snuck in, and the Chargers are just so forgettable :thumbsup:

Either way, I could still see all 3 teams make it and the Pats sitting out.

See you at the parade!! :beer::beer::beer:

I don't know if all 3 will make it but 2 should. Look at the other divisions. Early guess here but the Bengals, Jags, Chiefs win their respective divisions. Who realistically can you see in the hunt for a WC. Chargers, Ravens if LJ plays, maybe the Browns, and Broncos depending on Wilson's play. Don't see anyone from the South making it except the Jags. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

I keep hearing Green Bay can wait for months to close this deal the way his contract and pay deadline is structured, but isn’t the draft really the deadline? They want this years pick before the draft, right? Am I missing something? 

The more I sit with this, the more I actually think GB doesn't have a deadline.

Rodgers has a $60M cash price tag this year but $31.6M cap hit, and is a huge dead cap liability to move before 6/1. Sure $60M is a lot of cash to spend. But $40M in dead cap and $8M in cap dollars is a major operational hurdle. 

I think GB understands this very well. While they would be happy to move on from Rodgers and work on their future, they need to do it in a way that makes sense for the franchise holistically. If it is to get done in 2023 it has to be post June 1 or the NYJ have to pay a huge expense to get it done sooner rather than later.

I think a huge part of the Rodger/McAfee interview was Rodgers trying to force GB to move on quickly because operationally, GB is probably open to having the league MVP 2 of the last 3 years stay with the franchise one more year until it is financially palatable to move on. 

42 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Do the Jets actually plan on keeping Zach Wilson in the locker room as the backup? That ought to work out just great, what with Zach's team-first attitude.

Rumor is Rodgers' mom requested Wilson to still be around Jets facility as part of the deal. 😉

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

The more I sit with this, the more I actually think GB doesn't have a deadline.

Rodgers has a $60M cash price tag this year but $31.6M cap hit, and is a huge dead cap liability to move before 6/1. Sure $60M is a lot of cash to spend. But $40M in dead cap and $8M in cap dollars is a major operational hurdle. 

I think GB understands this very well. While they would be happy to move on from Rodgers and work on their future, they need to do it in a way that makes sense for the franchise holistically. If it is to get done in 2023 it has to be post June 1 or the NYJ have to pay a huge expense to get it done sooner rather than later.

I think a huge part of the Rodger/McAfee interview was Rodgers trying to force GB to move on quickly because operationally, GB is probably open to having the league MVP 2 of the last 3 years stay with the franchise one more year until it is financially palatable to move on. 

My point is less about the cap, and more about any “deadline”. It seems GB is ready to move on. People argue they don’t have to be in a hurry because Rodgers doesn’t have to be paid until August/September, while the Jets are basically without a real NFL QB. Pressure is on the Jets, they say. BUT, the Packers want any draft pick compensation THIS year, so the draft is the real deadline. 

Packers are a petty poorly managed team.

They wouldn't get Rodgers top tier weapons because they figured he was so good they could get by with decent.

But they want to get rid of him.

But they don't want him to go somewhere else and succeed. But they want the Wilson trade that they refused to take last year and the year before. 

So they sign him to an enormous extension that is all guaranteed money. And then decide they want to move on halfway through the season but don't do it.

It's going to be hilarious to watch them go 5-12

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

They wouldn't get Rodgers top tier weapons because they figured he was so good they could get by with decent.

But they don't want him to go somewhere else and succeed. But they want the Wilson trade that they refused to take last year and the year before. 

So they sign him to an enormous extension that is all guaranteed money. And then decide they want to move on halfway through the season but don't do it.

They don’t have an owner.

As meddling as some can be…sometimes you need the Top Dog who cuts your check to walk into your GM office and say what is what and what is going to happen and that it needs to happen now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont want to start a whole thread about Cole Beasley and his tweeting because, well, we all know why.

But the Allen disrespect here...

I’ve defended Cole quite a bit .. yea, I’m done.  

Simping to get on Rodgers wish list .. didn’t see that coming. 

10 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

They don’t have an owner.

As meddling as some can be…sometimes you need the Top Dog who cuts your check to walk into your GM office and say what is what and what is going to happen and that it needs to happen now.

Woody Johnson can do that from the Jets side. From all the media here in the NYC area the Jets FO wanted Carr but Johnson wanted Rodgers. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm not sure who I side with in this saga.  Rodgers seems like as difficult as difficult can get....he's one weird fella.

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont want to start a whole thread about Cole Beasley and his tweeting because, well, we all know why.

With Brady retired... There are 3 players left in the league who have won the MVP.  Rodgers has won 4, Mahomes 2, Jackson 1. 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

My point is less about the cap, and more about any “deadline”. It seems GB is ready to move on. People argue they don’t have to be in a hurry because Rodgers doesn’t have to be paid until August/September, while the Jets are basically without a real NFL QB. Pressure is on the Jets, they say. BUT, the Packers want any draft pick compensation THIS year, so the draft is the real deadline. 

Unless you get a player - Maybe they want Wilson.  Watch them get Breece Hall - packers love running backs for some reason 🙂

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He needs to stay away from social media until he’s truly retired. I feel like he’s just trying to pick fights with Bills fans at this point. 

Unless he already knows he’s not coming back and wants to be a Jet. 

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Woody Johnson can do that from the Jets side. From all the media here in the NYC area the Jets FO wanted Carr but Johnson wanted Rodgers. 

Not sure I blame him though…

Carr isn’t getting through the gauntlet that is Mahomes, Allen, Burrow etc in the playoffs, and when the Jets have to pay their young players, they’ll no longer be a fringe contender with him. 

Rodgers gives them 1-2 years of being, potentially, a legit contender .. and then it’s back to the drawing board.   …but Carr isn’t the answer, unless the question is “how can we be a perennial playoff contender?”  

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’ve defended Cole quite a bit .. yea, I’m done.  

Simping to get on Rodgers wish list .. didn’t see that coming. 

If you dig around in the comments and threads, he goes on to say he had his best years under Dak.

:thumbdown:

11 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

With Brady retired... There are 3 players left in the league who have won the MVP.  Rodgers has won 4, Mahomes 2, Jackson 1. 

Unless you get a player - Maybe they want Wilson.  Watch them get Breece Hall - packers love running backs for some reason 🙂

Maybe they are drinking the same water the Bills love to drink.