QB Derek Carr to Saints on a 4 year $150 mil deal w/ $70 mil fully guaranteed

Big Turk

4 year, 150 million is a pretty fair price given where the next QB contracts are going to land.  Its about where he should be as a middle of the pack starting QB with playoff experience.  It seems like a lot if you think about 3 to 4 years ago, but not with the new higher cap and where guys like Burrow, Herbet, and Lamar are going to land moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Is he?  I'm honestly asking since I don't know that state of the raiders but if there's more to it I'm interested.

He's not great, but not as bad as some would say.  Playing for that dysfunctional organization has not helped him.

9 years, 6 Head Coaches and god only knows how many OCs.  They did him no favors.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Is he?  I'm honestly asking since I don't know that state of the raiders but if there's more to it I'm interested.

Been following this guy for a while since he’s a raider when the bills aren’t on our TV down here it’s usually the Raiders

He is so interception prone he makes mistakes at the worst possible times

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Special K said:

The Saints are always in “cap hell”, yet they always seem to sign whoever they want.

And even with Brees/Peyton suck half of the time. 

The Saints are a good example on how if you think the cap doesn’t matter, you can sign a bunch of players, have a HoF coach and QB combo, and still be a .500 team about as often as you have a winning record. 

32 minutes ago, Mango said:

And even with Brees/Peyton suck half of the time. 

The Saints are a good example on how if you think the cap doesn’t matter, you can sign a bunch of players, have a HoF coach and QB combo, and still be a .500 team about as often as you have a winning record. 

Fair point on the Saints record, they have been pretty mediocre.....I'm not advocating that the Bills should spend like the Saints, but all the hand-wringing that goes on around here about wether or not the Bills can afford player X or player Y under the salary cap is a waste of time....if the team truly wants a player, they can find a way to fit that player under the cap.

18 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I don't think, that he is interested.

I do think that Rodgers has reached the point, where money is just a number.

I've reached that point in life, (while my pay grade is a few Stratosphere's below Rodgers) 

that I can live with what I have, which is pretty good!

Money is just a number.

Agree about the money part, but in Rogers case may just be he wants out of Green Bay.  He's under contract so the terms follow him and the boat load of money.  Unless he wants to tell the Jets or some other new team, no I refuse to be paid that much, I want much less!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

“Good” qb. 

I have higher standards I suppose

So are you saying you think he's washed up, or much better than good?? 

Personally I think he may be much better than he looked last year as not sure his heart was in it anymore in Green Bay.  And not sure where ever he goes that his heart will stay in it longer than a couple of months.

Bleacher Report: "Saints passers combined to throw for 3,969 yards and 24 touchdowns against 14 interceptions while posting a 93.6 passer rating last season. Carr threw for 3,522 yards and 24 touchdowns against 14 interceptions with an 86.3 passer rating. It would be fair to say Dalton performed just as well as Carr in 2022—if not better—despite having worse skill-position options."

So, it seems NFL teams don't get it.  Throwing huge money at quarterbacks with names we know well will not automatically make the team any better.

Looking at that stat, would anyone be surprised if the Saints had the same record or worse next year?

I would think that with analytics so utilized in the NFL now, that some basic data analysis would be used before teams signed players to huge contracts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm not sure, if he could actually do that.

I think he'll simply retire, if the desire is gone.

The red flag, for him, was last season..

I was kidding when I said that. 

The problem with him is I don't think he knows what he wants.  He may think a fresh start with a new team is what he needs, but can see in 2 months or so the desire may be gone again.  And then whatever team he signs with or traded to is on the hook for the remainder of his contract.

35 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So are you saying you think he's washed up, or much better than good?? 

Personally I think he may be much better than he looked last year as not sure his heart was in it anymore in Green Bay.  And not sure where ever he goes that his heart will stay in it longer than a couple of months.

I live in Vegas- watch every game- been to training camp…..  I’m just not impressed.  I don’t think he’s capable of winning a Super Bowl.  I think he’s good enough to stay qb of a team just hoping to make the playoffs. 

I just don’t hold him in very high regard.  I did when he was young as I thought he could improve.  I think he’s reached his peak and his peak is just above average.  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I live in Vegas- watch every game- been to training camp…..  I’m just not impressed.  I don’t think he’s capable of winning a Super Bowl.  I think he’s good enough to stay qb of a team just hoping to make the playoffs. 

I just don’t hold him in very high regard.  I did when he was young as I thought he could improve.  I think he’s reached his peak and his peak is just above average.  

OK you're talking about Carr??

I was talking about Rogers in the context of he may be the next one now to go to the Jets.

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK you're talking about Carr??

I was talking about Rogers in the context of he may be the next one now to go to the Jets.

Yeah, ah ok. My bad.  I was saying that I’d rather the jets had signed carr. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.