QB Derek Carr to Saints on a 4 year $150 mil deal w/ $70 mil fully guaranteed

Big Turk

50 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Well, they're welcome to Derek Carr and all of the underwhelming mediocrity that he's sure to bring...

If you don't have a Top 10 QB and you're not ready to win NOW, you as the GM are committing an ad of idiocy if you aren't just drafting a QB and/or playing the young QB that you have.  Signing a mid-level vet like Carr does nothing except kick the can down the road

I mean, they are probably division favorites now since they have a mid level starter.

Carolina and Tampa are about to trot out warm bodies and Atlanta has Riddler  

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, nucci said:

My point was that teams find a way to sign anyone they want. Didn't say they're good signings

But you are only looking at that specific signing...you aren't looking at the players they lose as a result that same year or the next year or two.  You are not looking at all the other holes they don't fill because they had no room to improve the team after making all these cap maneuvers to sign one or two players.

The signing of that player is such a tiny part of the whole equation and does not mean that the cap has no impact elsewhere after they sign that player.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I can't even name the Saints' HC without googling it, so does it matter?

It matters because it may have been a huge reason Carr signed with NO.  Dennis Allen was Carr's coach when he was a rookie and gave him his 1st starting job as a rookie.  For the record, the Raiders fired Allen after 4 games, but he may have left a positive impression on Carr. 

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It matters because it may have been a huge reason Carr signed with NO.  Dennis Allen was Carr's coach when he was a rookie and gave him his 1st starting job as a rookie.  For the record, the Raiders fired Allen after 4 games, but he may have left a positive impression on Carr. 

Not only that but Dennis Allen's entire pro career was with?!..... The Buffalo Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But you are only looking at that specific signing...you aren't looking at the players they lose as a result that same year or the next year or two.  You are not looking at all the other holes they don't fill because they had no room to improve the team after making all these cap maneuvers to sign one or two players.

The signing of that player is such a tiny part of the whole equation and does not mean that the cap has no impact elsewhere after they sign that player.  

This is a good point. The Bills signed Von Miller when that seemed impossible. The cost of Von Miller was losing Jerry Hughes. Then when Von went down, the Bills not only were missing him but also the production that Jerry Hughes gave them in 2021. It really showed against the Bengals (both times). 

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

This is a good point. The Bills signed Von Miller when that seemed impossible. The cost of Von Miller was losing Jerry Hughes. Then when Von went down, the Bills not only were missing him but also the production that Jerry Hughes gave them in 2021. It really showed against the Bengals (both times). 

As much as I love Jerry, and was happy to see him have success in Houston, AJ Epenesa had more sacks last year (6.5) than Hughes had his last 3 seasons here (2, 4.5, 4.5). I agree we missed Jerry's heart and fire, but stats were whatever.

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

Well, they're welcome to Derek Carr and all of the underwhelming mediocrity that he's sure to bring...

If you don't have a Top 10 QB and you're not ready to win NOW, you as the GM are committing an ad of idiocy if you aren't just drafting a QB and/or playing the young QB that you have.  Signing a mid-level vet like Carr does nothing except kick the can down the road

A bird in the hand...

If you're drafting a young QB, you are taking a chance at getting a bust, Carr is better than anyone the Saints could get at pick 29 (Philly has their original, higher pick).  

You can turn a team around in the 4 years Carr is signed for.  

It's a lot worse hoping to get a better QB than Carr at pick 29 and putting your job & the HC's job on the line with a guy 28 teams passed on.  

22 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

A bird in the hand...

If you're drafting a young QB, you are taking a chance at getting a bust, Carr is better than anyone the Saints could get at pick 29 (Philly has their original, higher pick).  

You can turn a team around in the 4 years Carr is signed for.  

It's a lot worse hoping to get a better QB than Carr at pick 29 and putting your job & the HC's job on the line with a guy 28 teams passed on.  

All this, especially in that Division where Carr is now the best QB out of the 4 teams.

33 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Jerry Hughes also had 9 sacks this year for Houston after we cut him.  

2 hours ago, Special K said:

That’s my point!

Go to Spotrac and look at their future years void money.....they wont have as much cap as other teams unless they use more void money.  Also, they don't do whatever they want they have let a lot of good players, all pro players go at various times.  Its true you can manipulate but it is not true there is not such thing as the cap.   You can take from future years for today.  How much of that you do is the question.

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

His best year, by far, since 2014. Wonder what the difference was.

I can answer that:  No Frazier.  Since joining the Bills, Hughes has played 10 seasons, 4 before Frazier, then 5 with Frazier, then 1 this past year in Houston.  In the 5 seasons not with Frazier Hughes averaged 8 sacks a season (including 3 with 9 or more).  In 5 seasons with Frazier, he averaged 4 sacks a season, only getting over 5 once (7 in 2018).    

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It was reported that Carr was actually leaning toward the Jets but the Jets wanted to wait and see what happens with Rodgers.

Hopefully Rodgers just stays in Green Bay now! Or retires.

Or Carr's agent put that out there while negotiating with New Orleans.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I can answer that:  No Frazier.  Since joining the Bills, Hughes has played 10 seasons, 4 before Frazier, then 5 with Frazier, then 1 this past year in Houston.  In the 5 seasons not with Frazier Hughes averaged 8 sacks a season (including 3 with 9 or more).  In 5 seasons with Frazier, he averaged 4 sacks a season, only getting over 5 once (7 in 2018).    

I knew you were gonna say that! And tough to argue with.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Ian Rapoport on Twitter: "The #Saints & Derek Carr agreed on a 4-yr deal for $150M with $100M in total guarantees, per me & @MikeGarafolo. He gets $70M effectively fully guaranteed ($60M at signing, another $10M in Year 3 vesting after Year 1). Carr structures his deal to accommodate Saints’ cap issues. https://t.co/vs6qaBh7rg" / Twitter

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Idk. I’d like to see what a QB like Carr can do away from the dumpster fire called the Raiders to a team w/ decent weapons.

• Big Turk changed the title to QB Derek Carr to Saints on a 4 year $150 mil deal w/ $70 mil fully guaranteed

The Saints winning their division now looks more promising.

Were he to have landed with the Jets, the same would be said for them.

That kind of talk wasn’t expected so soon looking back before 2022 season started.

40 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

he also averaged those bad numbers w frazier while posting up big pass rush win rate numbers.

obv, w miller getting all kinds of sacks in teh same bills scheme (albeit not the whole season), it shows houghs could be better, but ya our coaches were simply not getting max production out of our players.

really hope mcd feels huge heat to show out on d as a coach next year.

I just read 100 mil guaranteed, with 60 being given to him at signing.  

This has to set the bar for any other QB contract, including Jones and Geno.  I would argue they both performed better with less surrounding talent than Carr.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.