WR Allen Robinson available, Rams willing to eat salary

Buffalo_Stampede

On 3/8/2023 at 4:13 PM, Limeaid said:

Nothing like Stevie Johnson.  Stevie would burn CBs and sank Revis Island because he would adjust routes doing what he needed to get to points rather than run conventional routes.  He developed synchrony with Ryan Fitzpatrick when both were backups and Fitzpatrick understood route adjustments he would make.

He had 3 1000 yard consecutive seasons doing that.  Andre Reed made comments on what an fantastic adaptive WR he was. 

I had discussion with Andre Reed and Charlie Taylor (bless his soul) about Stevie at our tailgate,

Tailgate-with-Andre-Reed-Charlie-Taylor.

On 3/8/2023 at 9:39 PM, Mynamemike said:

SPT

SCORES

STEVIE

JOHNSON

Wide Receiver

CAREER STATS

REC

YDS

TD

AVG

Allen Robinson

Career

rec

yars

avg

td 

What?  Stevie was so “creative”because he was aloud to run around until he got open.  He was so creative he was out the league two years after we got rid of him.  

good dude and decent player 

Stevie didn’t run routes- he played street ball with Fitz. it pissed off guys like Revis who were high level tacticians.  He’d basically do some stuff that got him to the rim on the basketball court and Fitz would find him. 

Never understood why another team paid him in FA hoping to fit him into a system offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Stevie didn’t run routes- he played street ball with Fitz. it pissed off guys like Revis who were high level tacticians.  He’d basically do some stuff that got him to the rim on the basketball court and Fitz would find him.

Agree.  That's fundamentally what Chan Gailey taught in his version of E-P offense - "beat your man, get to the spot".

There's a downside, though, which was that when Stevie did something Fitz didn't expect or they weren't on the same page, we got some awful interceptions.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Four years, four years and one year.

But I hear you. Why didn't Chicago try harder to keep him? Same with L.A.

It may not be mental, effort or both. But the last two years two teams have easily let him go, and IMO it's probably not a coincidence that he managed 410 yards and 339 yards respectively those two years.

1 hour ago, Udubalum07 said:

If they take 10 million of the salary and give them a 5th, I think would be worth a shot. That would be less than 5 on the cap for a receiver that just in 2020 had close to 1300 yards. 

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’d give them a 5th if they ate the entire salary.  

Im more interested in Donald.  The team is obviously just going all in for Caleb or Drake-  

Robinson is a net negative imo.  He straight up quit on the Bears in his last year there.

That isn't very process like and someone I don't want near the team.  I don't think Diggs would tolerate it either.

Amazing how some fans hang on to one or 2 good seasons. Maybe the guy who has gotten 700 yards, including one with the SB champs and one of the best offensive minds in the nfl, the last 2 seasons just sucks now?

what if I told you there was a place where you could get a guy who could be the next Diggs and it would be a lot cheaper than chasing washed up guys like Robinson or OBJ?

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Agree.  That's fundamentally what Chan Gailey taught in his version of E-P offense - "beat your man, get to the spot".

There's a downside, though, which was that when Stevie did something Fitz didn't expect or they weren't on the same page, we got some awful interceptions.

He was primary receiver in an offense without major stars and he got 3 successive 1000 yard seasons.

Chan Galley talked about this. 

There were points Stevie was supposed to get to and between points he was not supposed to be targeted.

Mistakes are of course made but Stevie and Ryan worked most of this out when both were inactive and when both became active we saw the combination.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I mean that's just the FitzMagic experience

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Never understood why another team paid him in FA hoping to fit him into a system offense. 

Exaclty.  Stevie was not nearly as good as fan lore about him is.  They cite his 1000 yard seasons, but they were barely 1000 yard seasons, like right at 1000 yards, which is not that great of an accomplishment, especially in a Chan Gailey offense who threw the ball constantly despite having good RB's.

But, the absolute most important thing is that a huge portion of Stevie's season totals came at times in games that were blow out losses in garbage time.  I posted plenty of stuff on this during that time where he would be a ghost through the first 3 quarters of a game where he would have little production, then in the final half the 4th quarter with the Bills down 3+ scores, he would get a single garbage time drive with like 4 catches for 55 yards and TD that make his game total look solid and pad his season stats.  

He might be the most over rated player in Bills history.  He was the only WR on a bad team who played in a high volume passing offense.  That is the only reason he even got to 1000 yards, and again, it was literally right at 1000 yards, not like he was having 1200+ yard seasons.  There is a reason his career completely fell off the cliff as soon as he was out of Buffalo and with better QB's too.  

25 minutes ago, appoo said:

I mean that's just the FitzMagic experience

It reached its nadir in 2011 with the Bills.  For most of the rest of his career, and especially after Bill O'Brien benched him in Houston, Fitz did a bit better with the picks.  And for the most part, in the rest of the career, it was his brain writing a check his arm couldn't catch, not the "I expect you to run this route, but you ran that route" that we saw with Stevie.

The last time he played a full season was 2020, some of you have stated that Gabe Davis' production was down yet this guy had 33 receptions, 339 yards and 3 TD and only had double digit TDs once in his entire career and it was back in 2015. No thank you there are plenty of guys like him out there for lot less and you wont have to give up a pick to get them.

I'd like to add some size to our receiving group, but Robinson hasn't been very productive the past couple years and I'd rather draft a receiver than give up a pick for Robinson.

I'd like to draft AT Perry in the mid rounds to give Josh a 6-4 red zone threat receiver.

Edited by Allen2Diggs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.