WR Allen Robinson available, Rams willing to eat salary

Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually don’t think there is any team in the entire NFL that would trade anything (like not even a conditional 7th round pick) for him. Amazing how this guy has fallen. 

I fault the Rams.

They misused him to a very frustrating degree.  I think the Rams offensive playcalling was incredibly pedestrian and it's THE reason the team fell apart.  I'm surprised there were no coach firings after that one.

Robinson deserves a shot and yes, I'd happily give up a 6th rounder for his services.

He's GOT to be hungry and mad at his situation this year.  

Cam Akers's situation was revealing as well.  Man was "ticked"....  with coaching.

I'll stop now, before I get too accusatory about the Head coach, but maybe you know where I'm going with this...    

Yes to Robinson if the $ and draft pick are reasonable.

13 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Hardman has not lived up to his draft billing. He's started in less than half the games he played in KC and has 2088 yards in his 4 seasons. People who hate on Davis lack of production, should really hate on Hardman as he's a former 2nd Rounder 

If I'm signing an UFA I looking for a lower tier slot guy in the Ritchie James/Olamide Zaccheaus type that won't break the bank but bring more to the table than McKenzie and then draft someone to compete on the first few days of the draft. As to me the only WRs that bring back are Diggs, Davis and Shakir. 

Hardman's issue has been durability, and I'd share the concern there for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

theyre clearly heading towards a full rebuild whether they like it or not, seems like theyre finally admitting it. rumors of moving ramsey, stafford approaching retirement. donald is getting up there in age. i wouldnt factor this in too much.

side note, will Snead learn to value draft picks now? not at all talking him down, he set a goal and accomplished it.  just interesting to think about a guy whos traded more picks than anyone ever, now having to do the inverse

He went all in a got a super bowl so he was right. 

The danger is when you do that and don't succeed

There really is no such thing as an undervalued veteran free agent. These guys are well vetted by 32 pro scouting staffs, and the market for pricing is pretty efficient.  Not sure another older receiver is a good use of any Salary Cap. Rather role with hoping Gabe Davis gets better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/6/2023 at 9:50 PM, nucci said:

you can pretty much do anything with the cap if you want to.

You really can not. Unfortunately. There is some flexibility that smart GMs can take advantage of. But you can absolutely screw yourself. Which the Rams did, and that's why they're looking at options like this.

The Bills are under the cap roungly $17M for this year, but for next year still over by about $14M, though that will go down as they fiddle with extensions and such to get under for this year.

The Rams on the other hand are under the cap for $14M this year and already under the cap for next year by $19M. They're in trouble. And you can get there - quick - by making enough dumb moves.

On 3/7/2023 at 10:36 AM, Chaos said:

There really is no such thing as an undervalued veteran free agent. These guys are well vetted by 32 pro scouting staffs, and the market for pricing is pretty efficient.  Not sure another older receiver is a good use of any Salary Cap. Rather role with hoping Gabe Davis gets better. 

Sorry, man, that's simply not true.

Was Geno Smith undervalued? The answer is an obvious yes. The new contract tells you how wildly undervalued he was.

There are plenty of undervaued guys. Scouting is a very imperfect enterprise as it depends a lot on factors like scheme fit, player motivation, situation fit and plenty of others.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You really can not. Unfortunately. There is some flexibility that smart GMs can take advantage of. But you can absolutely screw yourself. Which the Rams did, and that's why they're looking at options like this.

The Bills are under the cap roungly $17M for this year, but for next year still over by about $14M, though that will go down as they fiddle with extensions and such to get under for this year.

The Rams on the other hand are under the cap for $14M this year and already under the cap for next year by $19M. They're in trouble. And you can get there - quick - by making enough dumb moves.

Sorry, man, that's simply not true.

Was Geno Smith undervalued? The answer is an obvious yes. The new contract tells you how wildly undervalued he was.

There are plenty of undervaued guys. Scouting is a very imperfect enterprise as it depends a lot on factors like scheme fit, player motivation, situation fit and plenty of others.

The scouts miss all the time.  As a Bills fan they should know this.  Look at all of the Hall of Famers that were drafted after Mike Williams.  Fred Jackson was UDFA.  Keeping Corday Ford over Wyatt Teller.   Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.  

scouts are human and they miss plenty of undervalued played 

8 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

He’s reminds me of  Stevie Johnson.  Had good numbers on a terrible Bears team because he was the only option.   

Nothing like Stevie Johnson.  Stevie would burn CBs and sank Revis Island because he would adjust routes doing what he needed to get to points rather than run conventional routes.  He developed synchrony with Ryan Fitzpatrick when both were backups and Fitzpatrick understood route adjustments he would make.

He had 3 1000 yard consecutive seasons doing that.  Andre Reed made comments on what an fantastic adaptive WR he was. 

I had discussion with Andre Reed and Charlie Taylor (bless his soul) about Stevie at our tailgate,

Tailgate-with-Andre-Reed-Charlie-Taylor.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Nothing like Stevie Johnson.  Stevie would burn CBs and sank Revis Island because he would adjust routes doing what he needed to get to points rather than run conventional routes.  He developed synchrony with Ryan Fitzpatrick when both were backups and Fitzpatrick understood route adjustments he would make.

He had 3 1000 yard consecutive seasons doing that.  Andre Reed made comments on what an fantastic adaptive WR he was. 

I had discussion with Andre Reed and Charlie Taylor (bless his soul) about Stevie at our tailgate,

Tailgate-with-Andre-Reed-Charlie-Taylor.

SPT

SCORES

STEVIE

JOHNSON

Wide Receiver

CAREER STATS

REC

YDS

TD

AVG

Allen Robinson

Career

rec

yars

avg

td 

What?  Stevie was so “creative”because he was aloud to run around until he got open.  He was so creative he was out the league two years after we got rid of him.  

good dude and decent player 

• Eyeroll 1

I drafted him on my fantasy team the last two years so I watched a lot of his play.  He just isn't playing good ball, not getting separation, and couldn't get target share on two different teams.  I think he might have hit the wall.  

In the words of Randy Jackson, "That's a no from me dog..."

On 3/6/2023 at 7:06 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He can play inside and outside.

Based on the compensation, which I couldn’t imagine it being anything thing too hefty seeing that the Rams are looking to shed Robinson’s salary and are willing to pay some of his contract, this could be a great solution.

Rumor has it that the Giants are interested in Beasley and also trading for Davis. If there is any truth to that I’d be all for trading for Robinson, retain Beasley and trade Davis. The line up then would look like Diggs, Robinson as the #1 and #2 WRs, keep Beasley in the slot, retain Smoke Brown and also have Shakir as the 4th and 5th WRs. To me that would be a pretty impressive line up for WRs. Having Knox and possibly drafting someone like Georgia TE Washington in the 2nd rd would be quite the solid line up for Josh. Of course I’m hoping that the Bills are going to draft Texas RB Bijan Robinson. Adding a potentially great blocking/pass catching TE like Washington would be awesome, especially someone like him would help our OL. WRs like the above mentioned and adding Bijan Robinson and James Cook for RBs would make this offense pretty lethal imo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 11:14 AM, Chaos said:

Was Geno Smith undervalued? The answer is an obvious no.

Yeah, if you don't have a clue, I guess you might look at it that way. Even the clueless might be hard-pressed to come up with something that obviously wrong.

The guy's last five contracts before his new deal were each one year deals, for $805K, $895K, $1.187M, $1.212M and $3.5M.

Anyone thinking he wasn't undervalued isn't worth paying attention to.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2023 at 11:50 AM, Locomark said:

Ask one question, why does he last 1 or 2 years everywhere he plays if he is so talented?  It’s either mental, effort, or both. 

Four years, four years and one year.

But I hear you. Why didn't Chicago try harder to keep him? Same with L.A.

It may not be mental, effort or both. But the last two years two teams have easily let him go, and IMO it's probably not a coincidence that he managed 410 yards and 339 yards respectively those two years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.