Gary Rossington Dead at 71

T&C

R.I.P.  

I was a HUGE Skynyrd fan growing up. Not as much anymore - but their music still holds up to this day.  Great band, and he really did a great job of carrying on their legacy.  He always seemed really easygoing in interviews, too.

We'll remember you, Gary.

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So are they officially a cover band now?

Is the Catholic Church a "cover church?" 🤔 

[Only Apostolic Church that can directly trace back to Jesus Christ & The Apostles: 1. Jesus Christ established a Church (not several, or several thousand). 2. The only Church which can trace its lineage unbroken to the time of Christ and the apostles is the Catholic Church. 3. And therefore, Jesus Christ established the Catholic Church.]

OH, don't answer this question. It was just for effect.😉 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Is the Catholic Church a "cover church?" 🤔 

[Only Apostolic Church that can directly trace back to Jesus Christ & The Apostles: 1. Jesus Christ established a Church (not several, or several thousand). 2. The only Church which can trace its lineage unbroken to the time of Christ and the apostles is the Catholic Church. 3. And therefore, Jesus Christ established the Catholic Church.]

OH, don't answer this question. It was just for effect.😉 

Too bad - I'm answering it anyway.

Let's see...

No original members left. Hasn't put out any new material in over 2000 years.

Yep - it's a cover church.

(At least the current lead singer sounds more like the original than most of his predecessors did.)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My radio career really got started at WOUR in Utica. One of the last FM rockers where deejays still picked their own songs to play. Every band that came to play in town would drop by the studio to hang out and be interviewed.

WOUR was also unique in that southern bands got a lot of airplay from this "northern" station. So we had a lot of friendly ties with groups like Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels Band, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, etc.

So of course when the Rosington-Collins band came to Utica, their first stop after soundcheck was the third floor of 288 Genesee. Sometimes they brought a little something extra with them. Let's just say the razor blades in the studio weren't just there for editing tape. 👃🌨️

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

So are they officially a cover band now?

That's a pretty good question. "They" are still scheduled to play down here next Sunday:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2023/03/06/lynyrd-skynyrd-concert-at-florida-strawberry-fest-to-go-on

So many bands have evolved through time... Skynyrd, Allmans, Dead, on and on. I think with some bands though it's just time to retire the name. 

I saw Badfinger in the late 80's at Tierra Verde and it was... Joey Molland. I knew what it was and it was a great show for sure but Badfinger was a reach. Kim Simmonds passed away last year and I hope to God that the Savoy Brown name is retired... really don't want someone who played drums on 3 songs of 1 album trying to cash in with that name.

King Crimson is an oddity, as long as Fripp is around it seems and sounds legit although that band has fractured many many times. Tull... if/when Anderson passes away that has to be it.

Zappa plays Zappa is a cover band for the most part, at least there is a Zappa running things. Could go on and on with examples...

• Like (+1) 1

RIP, Gary.  Thank you for a lot of great music.

Lynyrd Skynyrd was the first band I ever got into.  (Thanks for my older brothers.)

I got to see them on their "Tribute Tour", in 1988 in Olean NY.

I remember it as a really good show, but with a friggin' scary crowd.

Mr Rossington was a very good musician who I saw perform twice live. The first time was the show at Rich Stadium that was cut short due to a jackhole who threw a gallon of what looked like Koolaid all over Artemis Piles drum kit...they played like 3 songs, the kool aid incident, they all walked off stage and it was at least a 1/2 hour wait  later they came back to play Freebird, then walked off again. OUCH 

the second time was  here in san diego years later

@Warcoderedthat clip of Freebird you posted was so fun to watch. I loved seeing all the girls up on guys shoulders rocking out. That was me back in the day and around that same decade 70's haha.

RIP

m

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

I saw the Rossington Collins Band in August 1980 in Rochester with Charlie Daniels as the opener.  Closed with Free Bird, of course.

Whenever I hear the name Rossington that's the first thing I think of. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My radio career really got started at WOUR in Utica. One of the last FM rockers where deejays still picked their own songs to play. Every band that came to play in town would drop by the studio to hang out and be interviewed.

WOUR was also unique in that southern bands got a lot of airplay from this "northern" station. So we had a lot of friendly ties with groups like Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels Band, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, etc.

So of course when the Rosington-Collins band came to Utica, their first stop after soundcheck was the third floor of 288 Genesee. Sometimes they brought a little something extra with them. Let's just say the razor blades in the studio weren't just there for editing tape. 👃🌨️

I listened to WOUR constantly in the late 70s through early 80s. I still remember some of the DJ names... Jerry Kraus, Robin. Andy Cleary was in my accounting class at Utica college.  I remember they had 96 cent concerts at Four Acres.  Saw some great concerts there. I even remember every night at 8:10PM they would give the upcoming concerts schedule. 

• Like (+1) 1

One of my favorite bands growing up.

The first time I saw him was in the RCB in Rochester after they put out their second album in the early 80's, UFO opened the show. I later saw them at the NYS Fair in the mid 80's after Allen Collins passed.

RIP Gary Rossington ... Thanks for the music.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.