Is there any defensive player you'd be happy with at pick 27?

HappyDays

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Neither.

I hope we draft a special teams ace in round 1

This board would spin it as a positive.

Just now, newcam2012 said:

It baffles me that the Bills coaches think Gabe is a solid WR2. 

You want a WR2 to be able to be somewhat reliable, able to run varies quality routes, and win in contested throws. That's just not Davis. He caught a 56% of the passes thrown his way. More specifically, 48 out of 93 balls thrown his way. 

He had one of the worst contested ball rates as well. 

This just isn't going to cut it. Gabe cannot great quick separation. He is not fluid in the hips. Both add up to him being a WR3 or WR4. 

What are Beane and McD doing or seeing? They have to be better talent evaluators. Are they really trying to ran Davis back as the Bills WR2?  

Let’s just be grateful this FO has done all it can to help our star QB.

I mean, signing a 5”0 guy from New Orleans who stays hurt, kid down in Miami who got targets because he was behind 2 superstar receivers, backup offensive lineman…1 who got abused every play when thrown in at New England last year. They definitely have added the pieces to beat KC and Cincy…now we can focus on DEFENSE BABY with our premium picks! 

lfgooo!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I'm resigned to the distinct possibility our pick @ #27 will be Jack Campbell / MLB / Iowa. I think there are only a handful of players being unexpectedly available at #27 who could change that. Seeing how we've maneuvered in FA though, that tells me this is what will likely happen. I won't be mad at the pick and I think the guy will be solid in this defense. 

It sure looking that way right now

I’m not really fond of getting pigeonholed into a position like this

And Campbell may end up being a great player

On 3/5/2023 at 7:21 PM, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

There’s no defensive player I want at 27, I’ll puke if we take one I think. I don’t need some first round pick wasted on a scheme that’s lazy and doesn’t encourage play making. 

We badly need weapons and most importantly protection for josh. Which of course means we will waste the pick on a safety. 

I agree but not with everything u said. Yes we need to absolutely protect Josh Allen but this team needs stars and it really doesn’t matter what position they play. This is really not the draft for playmakers especially at the Wr position it’s a bad yr for that position in this draft it would be a big mistake to take a Wr in the 1st rd that’s projected to be a #2 Wr on the NFL level. The Bills need to take the Bpa available and if that lands on the defensive side of the ball then so be it! The draft should never be used to plug holes it should be used to build your team for the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I agree but not with everything u said. Yes we need to absolutely protect Josh Allen but this team needs stars and it really doesn’t matter what position they play. This is really not the draft for playmakers especially at the Wr position it’s a bad yr for that position in this draft it would be a big mistake to take a Wr in the 1st rd that’s projected to be a #2 Wr on the NFL level. The Bills need to take the Bpa available and if that lands on the defensive side of the ball then so be it! The draft should never be used to plug holes it should be used to build your team for the future. 

I’m kind of like in the mighty Smurf that we picked up in free agency

19 minutes ago, McBean said:

This board would spin it as a positive.

Let’s just be grateful this FO has done all it can to help our star QB.

I mean, signing a 5”0 guy from New Orleans who stays hurt, kid down in Miami who got targets because he was behind 2 superstar receivers, backup offensive lineman…1 who got abused every play when thrown in at New England last year. They definitely have added the pieces to beat KC and Cincy…now we can focus on DEFENSE BABY with our premium picks! 

lfgooo!

You have a way with words. I think people here should reread your post several times. It rings of reality...

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You have a way with words. I think people here should reread your post several times. It rings of reality...

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Is he really 5 foot tall I thought he was shorter

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

I could certainly be swayed to support this random never-going-to-happen scenario..

Yes, impossible, but if it happened, you have to take him. I personally want Kincaid who they have taken right in front of us.

Given my penchant for pessimism, I'm going to surmise the Jalen Carter part is wildly offbase, but the Kincaid part is true.

49 minutes ago, bearcat said:

Trenton Simpson or Drew Sanders if the top receivers are gone.

Simpson is a no from me. He's athletic as can be, but his instincts are meh and he is like Tremaine in that he gets lost in the wash of blockers. If we were going to more of a traditional 4-3, with 3 LB's on the field, I would play him at SLB. I don't see him as being a MLB in our defense though. I hope they don't either. 

Sanders is definitely talented, but he only has one year at the position while at Arkansas. He's also very thin framed for manning the middle.  

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Simpson is a no from me. He's athletic as can be, but his instincts are meh and he is like Tremaine in that he gets lost in the wash of blockers. If we were going to more of a traditional 4-3, with 3 LB's on the field, I would play him at SLB. I don't see him as being a MLB in our defense though. I hope they don't either. 

Sanders is definitely talented, but he only has one year at the position while at Arkansas. He's also very thin framed for manning the middle.  

I think Simpson will get there, he is just a little raw in the box. Sanders is extremely raw in the box with the highest upside. I like both guys, but if you want plug-and-play with great instincts it's Campbell. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

It baffles me that the Bills coaches think Gabe is a solid WR2. 

You want a WR2 to be able to be somewhat reliable, able to run varies quality routes, and win in contested throws. That's just not Davis. He caught a 56% of the passes thrown his way. More specifically, 48 out of 93 balls thrown his way. 

He had one of the worst contested ball rates as well. 

This just isn't going to cut it. Gabe cannot great quick separation. He is not fluid in the hips. Both add up to him being a WR3 or WR4. 

What are Beane and McD doing or seeing? They have to be better talent evaluators. Are they really trying to ran Davis back as the Bills WR2?  

I think the idea that they see Davis as a WR2 is overblown.  Really, what would you expect Beane to say publicly?  He can’t really come out and say “well, we would rather have a better WR2 than Gabe, he wasn’t very good last year”.  If they take a WR in the first, that will tell you that they want to upgrade there, but if they don’t take a WR early, that may still not mean that they are thrilled with Davis - it could mean that they had other priorities to address and that they didn’t like the available WRs as much as they guys that they picked.

On 3/10/2023 at 1:26 PM, ScottLaw said:

Eh… WR opposite Diggs is the biggest bang for your buck for offensive improvement and one of the easier fixes than a completely offensive line overhaul. 

Who, that will be available should they pick to challenge Davis?

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Simpson will get there, he is just a little raw in the box. Sanders is extremely raw in the box with the highest upside. I like both guys, but if you want plug-and-play with great instincts it's Campbell. 

I agree, Campbell is definitely a plug and play starter in the NFL. I also believe that where some of these other guys depend on their athleticism alone, Campbell more than makes up for it with his football IQ (which is off the charts). If you process things quickly, and play your role without hesitation, you don't have to be a 4.45 40 guy. I really think Campbell could be the Kuechly in this defense everyone was hoping Tremaine would have become. 

I'm not as high on Simpson as some are. I think he could have a nice role as an OLB in a 4-3, but I think he will struggle to play inside. I think Sanders will as well, if they play him inside. I think Sanders would be great playing the Will, and being used as a blitzer from time to time off of the edge. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2023 at 2:14 PM, GunnerBill said:

At #27 it's a no from me on Campbell. If they trade out of round 1 and make Campbell their first pick middle of the 2nd, fine. I don't love his fit in this D though. His lateral movement skills are the biggest question mark on his scouting report for me. And the Bills D asks their linebackers to go sideline to sideline a lot.

Agreed.  He's an indefensible reach at #27.  I know Nolan Smith did not play middle linebacker in college, but he has most of the physical traits Buffalo might look for.  He's shorter than Edmunds, but his athleticism is off the charts.  If the Bills do their due diligence and decide that he's capable of making the switch and willing to try, and he happens to be available, I might take a chance on him.

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I think Beane will look for someone who can get after the opposing QB. He hasn't found that person in the draft yet but may be giving Nolan Smith and Will McDonald IV a hard look

I find Isaiah Foskey intriguing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/22/2023 at 8:56 AM, Solomon Grundy said:

I think Beane will look for someone who can get after the opposing QB. He hasn't found that person in the draft yet but may be giving Nolan Smith and Will McDonald IV a hard look

Yep. In fact, in today's mock, Pete Prisco on CBS has us taking McDonald, IV

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/pete-prisco-2023-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-qbs-fly-off-board-as-four-go-in-top-5-eagles-reload-on-defense/

"I know they have drafted a bunch of players at this spot, and they have Von Miller, but Miller isn't a kid anymore and the pass rush still isn't good enough. So why not add another young, talented edge player?"

[BTW, Greg Auman of FOX Sports has us taking Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/2023-nfl-mock-draft-c-j-stroud-still-no-1-shakeup-among-top-10]

"Inside linebackers are perpetually devalued in the draft, and Buffalo needs a solid one after losing Tremaine Edmunds on a huge contract to the Bears. Sanders is 6-foot-4, taller than most NFL linebackers, and he had 103 tackles and 9.5 sacks in a breakout year for the Razorbacks. He has enough versatility that he could moonlight as a pass-rusher in sub packages."]

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.