Is there any defensive player you'd be happy with at pick 27?

HappyDays

On 3/5/2023 at 1:17 PM, HappyDays said:

Most Bills fans understandably want an offensive player in the 1st round. I get it. But if the board falls a certain way, is there any defensive player realistically available at pick 27 that you would be happy with?

I have mentioned elsewhere that my guy on defense is LB Jack Campbell. He wouldn't be my first preference at pick 27 but I've grown to like him enough that I would be happy with him as the pick there. He brings a size and physicality to the defense that we don't currently have and I think filling that missing element is just as important as filling some of our holes on offense.

I'm a huge fan of Jack Campbell but he's more of a 2nd round pick. There is a good to great chance not 1 ILB will go in this years class, I'm not sure how they would justify another DE/CB, they could possibly go S but as far as I can see the only 1st round graded S is Brian Branch Alabama but to take him at 27 when we brought back Poyer and have Hyde would again raise alot of questions imo.

On 3/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Jack Campbell 100%. I like Simpson and Sanders too and probably ok with it. 

If they fall, Brian Branch, Van Ness, Nolan Smith.

Tyree Wilson, Jalen Carter, Myles Murphy if for some crazy reason they fall. 

Top corner who might fall. 

I heard the hype on Campbell from Iowa at MLB, but then watched his videos and he looks way too slow to play in our 2 LB defense. Reminds me of  He’s a very tall good tackler (Like the old Bills and Jag MLB Paul Pozluzny-tackling machine who couldn’t cover) but I don’t see him covering the ground we need him to. Sanders is more of the model of what we like at LB. 

Smith or Branch at Safety in round 1 is OK for the future but I prefer they wait until round 3 and snag the IL safety then since he will be a backup and I want a day 1 contributor in round 1. 

I don’t see any worthy CB or DL falling this far that isn’t a round 2 player and I don’t want the short quick Pitt DL who is Oliver part 2. Been there, done that. 

On 3/9/2023 at 11:57 AM, GunnerBill said:

Our best two recent efforts 2017 and 2018 were good drafts. They have each had 21 1st team all pro selections from them so far. Compare that to 2015 which was, even at the time, acknowledged to be a weaker draft, with only 11 (despite a 2/3 year headstart).

I don't buy and have never bought the "it's a total crapshoot" argument. It isn't an exact science, but it isn't a crapshoot either. 

Of course players picked higher will be more likely to be better players if your only comparison is to THIS draft. If you really want to know how good a draft it is you have to compare them to their peers when they arrive in the NFL. 

That is where I am tbh. More than any other draft I'd be willing to move around the board and target 3-4 guys I see as high floor contributors even if they are never gonna have the ceiling to be stars.

I have been vocal about the Bills needing more difference makers. This draft probably isn't the place they will find them.

If you had the top 3 picks in the draft who would take (no QBs)?   Would they be difference makers? 

Lukas Van Ness. Von is injured and will probably retire after we win the Super Bowl next year. Pretty sure Epenesa is on his final year of his contract. That leaves Groot and Boogie. Don’t care that we’ve spent draft collateral over the past few drafts on this position. Groot and Boogie are not enough. 

Yeah I'll happily take a defensive player

Someone like Skoronski for example, who will defend Josh Allen to the death.

After last season's debacle, it would be professionally negligent to not prioritise the health and safety of the guy who will, by some distance, become the greatest Bill of all time.

On 3/10/2023 at 11:43 AM, SoCal Deek said:

I don’t completely disagree but I’m more interested in using draft picks on positions that are in way worse shape, like the offensive line. Remember this thread is about Pick 27. 

WR is a catastrophic need real fast if Davis doesn’t step up. And even if he does we may need a replacement quickly unless you think we are paying him. 

this is the year to make the position a strength so you can live without him either way 

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

If you had the top 3 picks in the draft who would take (no QBs)?   Would they be difference makers? 

Jalen Carter (presuming the off field stuff checks out)

Will Anderson

That is where the guys I am confident can be true difference makers ends. 

I'd probably take Paris Johnson Jnr with the 3rd selection. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Jalen Carter (presuming the off field stuff checks out)

Will Anderson

That is where the guys I am confident can be true difference makers ends. 

I'd probably take Paris Johnson Jnr with the 3rd selection. 

ty

I'm resigned to the distinct possibility our pick @ #27 will be Jack Campbell / MLB / Iowa. I think there are only a handful of players being unexpectedly available at #27 who could change that. Seeing how we've maneuvered in FA though, that tells me this is what will likely happen. I won't be mad at the pick and I think the guy will be solid in this defense. 

16 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm resigned to the distinct possibility our pick @ #27 will be Jack Campbell / MLB / Iowa. I think there are only a handful of players being unexpectedly available at #27 who could change that. Seeing how we've maneuvered in FA though, that tells me this is what will likely happen. I won't be mad at the pick and I think the guy will be solid in this defense. 

It is pretty much a repeat of last year's offseason where they just completely ignored the corner position and claimed "sometimes the answer is already on your roster." 

I do still think Wagner could be a good possibility though. Needs at linebacker dried up a bit around the league but there are still suitors, with the Commanders, Browns, Raiders, Vikings, and Steelers probably still looking, with the Cowboys and Seahawks maybe in on Wagner. 

• Agree 1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:48 AM, GunnerBill said:

I think in his credit column you have to give him decent feet at the line - his get off package is the one bit of his game I think you can legit say has improved since he came into the league and also above average body control for a bigger guy. But I agree with you he has largely been the same guy all 3 years. 

It baffles me that the Bills coaches think Gabe is a solid WR2. 

You want a WR2 to be able to be somewhat reliable, able to run varies quality routes, and win in contested throws. That's just not Davis. He caught a 56% of the passes thrown his way. More specifically, 48 out of 93 balls thrown his way. 

He had one of the worst contested ball rates as well. 

This just isn't going to cut it. Gabe cannot great quick separation. He is not fluid in the hips. Both add up to him being a WR3 or WR4. 

What are Beane and McD doing or seeing? They have to be better talent evaluators. Are they really trying to ran Davis back as the Bills WR2?  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.