Is there any defensive player you'd be happy with at pick 27?

HappyDays

Most Bills fans understandably want an offensive player in the 1st round. I get it. But if the board falls a certain way, is there any defensive player realistically available at pick 27 that you would be happy with?

I have mentioned elsewhere that my guy on defense is LB Jack Campbell. He wouldn't be my first preference at pick 27 but I've grown to like him enough that I would be happy with him as the pick there. He brings a size and physicality to the defense that we don't currently have and I think filling that missing element is just as important as filling some of our holes on offense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Most Bills fans understandably want an offensive player in the 1st round. I get it. But if the board falls a certain way, is there any defensive player realistically available at pick 27 that you would be happy with?

I have mentioned elsewhere that my guy on defense is LB Jack Campbell. He wouldn't be my first preference at pick 27 but I've grown to like him enough that I would be happy with him as the pick there. He brings a size and physicality to the defense that we don't currently have and I think filling that missing element is just as important as filling some of our holes on offense.

Just hope that enough Qb , CB , RB get drafted to push blue chippers to buffalo. Last year was crazy unlucky. Only 1 qb. Pit #20 

• Like (+1) 2

Answer is it depends on what happens between now and then WRT Edmunds and in FA.  If Edmund's is gone the picking a LB may make alot more sense.  Add to that do they sign a good FA guard and WR?  If so then the two positions on offense they need a starter for are replaced so then going defense may make more sense.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

All depends on how we attack FA-  who we let go and who we sign will have an impact on how I feel about the draft.  

If we draft a pass rusher or mlb @ 27 and they end up being great, I’ll be happy.  It doesn’t really matter how we feel immediately after the draft or even in the first year.  Drafting great players is how we win a SB.  Drafting bums is how we play ourselves out of being contenders. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

All depends on how we attack FA-  who we let go and who we sign will have an impact on how I feel about the draft.  

If we draft a pass rusher or mlb @ 27 and they end up being great, I’ll be happy.  It doesn’t really matter how we feel immediately after the draft or even in the first year.  

I agree. If I'm choosing a player at 27, he needs to effect the QB

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It really depends on how the pieces fall.   Right now, giving Allen more talented weapons will have a bigger bang for the buck than a comparable player on D.  That said, if we get lucky and a difference-making defensive player falls into our laps, I'd take that over a WR or OL with more uncertainty.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beane will fill our holes on roster w player so we won’t have a glaring weakness or holes to fill for the draft. That will enable him to draft best player. I do think this year if there is a tie amongst some players that the offense will win out. But to answer the question definitely would like Jack Campbell from Iowa. Watched him a lot this year and he is just a flat out ball player!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Special K said:

Antonio Johnson S Texas A&M, but only if all top rated OL and WR are off the board, and dependent on how the Bills address the Safety position in FA.

Of realistic options this is the answer on my card. I don't want a defensive player. Not sure I'd be "happy" with it. But is there a realistic defensive player that at least makes sense to me at #27.... yes. It's Johnson.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I agree. If I'm choosing a player at 27, he needs to effect the QB

Yeah, I'm sick and tired of ignoring Josh. Find a Tremaine or Poyer replacement in FA.  I want 4 and 5 year rookie contracts surrounding 17.  And I'm not as obsessed about bpa as some are. You should always draft bpa "of need".  Gotta be OL or WR2.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

OH HELL NO!!!!!

because player or position ?

If Edmunds walks (and I am okay with that ) Bills will than have an Elephant in the room. That position will have to be solved not just patched over.

Starting Right Guard needs the most attention IMO. and outside WR is not far behind. Safety should be on the list and another guard who has potential to replace Morse in a year.
But cannot let the MLB spot become a weakness in a McDermott Defense 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Of realistic options this is the answer on my card. I don't want a defensive player. Not sure I'd be "happy" with it. But is there a realistic defensive player that at least makes sense to me at #27.... yes. It's Johnson.

is that a No ?  To Campbell.
The difficult part might be , can Bills fill the other NEEDS further along in the draft ? That's a risk.

What can Bills actually do in FA for needs?

This year will be a nail biting draft for me honestly !

Defense at pick 27.  Yes I'd be happy with that if it's the BPA at another position of need (other than OL, and WR...).

1.  My number 1 pick in this draft is S Brian Branch, and I'd pick him over any O-lineman.

2.  If the top OT's are off the board:

I'd be happy with:

CB Devon Witherspoon

CB Christian Gonzalez

CB Joey Porter

DT Jalen Carter

DT Bruam Bresee

DT Calijah Kancey

DE Will Anderson

DE Tyree Wilson

DE Lucas Van Ness

DE Myles Murphy

3.  I think all of #2 will be off the board and I'm thinking our pick will be OG O'Cyrus Torrence, or OT Anton Harrison.

4.  Back to D... if Torrence / Harrison are gone.....I'd be happy with:

LB Diayan Henley

S Antonio Johnson

CB Deonte Banks

CB Tyrique Stevenson

DT Mazi Smith

DE Andre Carter II

DE Nolan Smith

DE Will McDonald

DE BJ Ojulari

Round 1 and 2 is loaded with defensive talent and odds are that's what will be landed.  Just from numbers and OL needs of other teams....  Hope we get lucky with how the draft board falls, and we actually have a shot at some OL talent.

But I'm not going to be upset if we go BPA on defense.

image.png

image.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I would like to tag-and-trade Edmunds for a 3rd rounder, then take Jack Campbell in the 1st, a receiver in the second, and a guard and safety in the 3rd (I'm assuming we don't re-sign Poyer.

I feel like any team that’s really interested in him would just wait one more year. Edmunds young enough. They would want him for the long term. Bills simply couldn’t play that game and get stuck w that cap number. And no team will give up a 3rd when they can just wait til he hits FA. His position unfortunately doesn’t DEMAND a team go and snatchh him. There’s no leverage for bills

Edited by balln

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Beane will draft a safety in the 1st round. They've gotten production out of that position from exclusively late round picks. He has treated 1st round picks with proper positional value every year so I'll be surprised if he suddenly breaks that trend.

So what do you in the event that all the top WRs and OL are off the board? In that scenario we are either looking at a trade down, or drafting the best front 7 player available.

I created this thread because to a lot of Bills fans an offensive player is a foregone conclusion at pick 27. But the board could fall a certain way to where there is no value left on offense. And then Nolan Smith, Lukas Van Ness, Jack Campbell, a player like that could seriously be in contention.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

is that a No ?  To Campbell.
The difficult part might be , can Bills fill the other NEEDS further along in the draft ? That's a risk.

What can Bills actually do in FA for needs?

This year will be a nail biting draft for me honestly !

At #27 it's a no from me on Campbell. If they trade out of round 1 and make Campbell their first pick middle of the 2nd, fine. I don't love his fit in this D though. His lateral movement skills are the biggest question mark on his scouting report for me. And the Bills D asks their linebackers to go sideline to sideline a lot.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Luke Cambell hell yeah!!! Also the Van Ness Monster:wub:

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At #27 it's a no from me on Campbell. If they trade out of round 1 and make Campbell their first pick middle of the 2nd, fine. I don't love his fit in this D though. His lateral movement skills are the biggest question mark on his scouting report for me. And the Bills D asks their linebackers to go sideline to sideline a lot.

I say bring Kuechly out of retirement for our dynasty...Kuechly MLB sign Vander Esch as other MLB and resign Edmunds for OLB and put Milano OLB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.