End of an era.... I cancelled DirecTV!

Fezmid

On 3/4/2023 at 5:28 PM, Fezmid said:

I haven't been around here in forever, but back in the day, I was a big DirecTV advocate. Then they were bought out by AT&T and it all started going downhill. Then they were divested and it got a tiny bit better, but not really. And then they lost Sunday Ticket, and that was the final nail in the coffin.  I cancelled DirecTV.

Not sure if any old-timers will remember me or not, but I figured I should login and share because, well, why not. :)

For anyone interested, I basically cut the cord a couple of years ago, and have been keeping DirecTV purely for Sunday Ticket, suspending the account in the offseason.  I use my own home Plex server and OTA Antenna to save shows, plus some streaming services to fill the gaps.  Here's the article I wrote on the topic:

https://www.neowin.net/news/synology-plex-and-hdhomerun-how-to-cut-the-cord-forever/

RIP, DirecTV, it was a fun 24+ years...!

This old timer remembers you well, Fez!  :D

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just cancelled DTV today.  Have been a customer since 2007.  The retentions guy tried everything he could to keep me, and then was trying to get me to “suspend” my account for some reason.  After about a 5 min discussion I officially cancelled.

Signed up for YouTube TV which is like $72/month and got the early deal for NFL Sunday Ticket.  We looked at our other streaming subscriptions, and realized that we could rid of a couple bc the content we liked was also offered of YouTube TV.  Looks like we’ll end up saving ~$40-50/month when the dust settles.

Took my satellite dish to the Fairfax county dump on Saturday, saluted, and thanked it for over 20 years of fine service before bidding adieu and throwing it on the trash heap.

Good riddance. 

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Haha (+1) 1

SMH well this thread bump made me realize I have no set plan for how to watch my NFL football next season . Hubby WILL take care of it . But I wonder if they will introduce any more "specials" closer to the season.

Bait you now and then switch up later? meh I dunno......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.