End of an era.... I cancelled DirecTV!

Fezmid

I just cut the Directv cord yesterday.  Been with them for 20+ years but once Sunday Ticket was no longer an option, there's no use for me to keep them.  I'm going to save $40/month by bundling my TV with my Fios internet.  Same channels that I had with DTV so no changes in what i can view.  I guess come this summer i need to figure out how to watch Bills games?,,, if i need to add a YouTube TV subscription or whatever.  

On 3/4/2023 at 5:28 PM, Fezmid said:

I haven't been around here in forever, but back in the day, I was a big DirecTV advocate. Then they were bought out by AT&T and it all started going downhill. Then they were divested and it got a tiny bit better, but not really. And then they lost Sunday Ticket, and that was the final nail in the coffin.  I cancelled DirecTV.

Not sure if any old-timers will remember me or not, but I figured I should login and share because, well, why not. :)

For anyone interested, I basically cut the cord a couple of years ago, and have been keeping DirecTV purely for Sunday Ticket, suspending the account in the offseason.  I use my own home Plex server and OTA Antenna to save shows, plus some streaming services to fill the gaps.  Here's the article I wrote on the topic:

https://www.neowin.net/news/synology-plex-and-hdhomerun-how-to-cut-the-cord-forever/

RIP, DirecTV, it was a fun 24+ years...!

wow, don't come round here much anymore, but damn  i remember discussing with you the benefits of DTV DVR vs the TIVO we were coming off, and for me the Replay TV DVR i first started with. How to incorporate the damn box we needed for local HDs on the antenna....

I started DTV in 94, paid $1200 for the dish and $300 to get it installed...and no locals! 

gave it up 3 years ago, they a blacksmith in a car world

• 1 month later...

Canned DirecTV yesterday after 25 years.  Dude said "you qualify for reduced pricing, what if I offered you $85/month?"  I responded "what if you offered me that 2 months ago rather than raising my rate again?"

Hello, Youtube TV.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Canned DirecTV yesterday after 25 years.  Dude said "you qualify for reduced pricing, what if I offered you $85/month?"  I responded "what if you offered me that 2 months ago rather than raising my rate again?"

Hello, Youtube TV.

Welcome to the club.  I'd like YTTV a lot better if they brought back MLB Network and added NHL Network though.  I'd even pay extra if they lumped them in with their sports package.  

My gutter guy is coming this week and I asked if he'd take down the dish while he was on the roof...he was more than happy to accommodate.

14 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Welcome to the club.  I'd like YTTV a lot better if they brought back MLB Network and added NHL Network though.  I'd even pay extra if they lumped them in with their sports package.  

My gutter guy is coming this week and I asked if he'd take down the dish while he was on the roof...he was more than happy to accommodate.

Considering I'm about to move out of market (and will probably give up my seasons when PSLs happen) - Sunday Ticket may be a thing for me in 2026.  Baseball isn't a concern.  I'm sad to be losing MSG and ability to watch Sabres games, especially with them about to become relevant again, but not enough to justify NHL Center Ice.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I'm sad to be losing MSG and ability to watch Sabres games, especially with them about to become relevant again, but not enough to justify NHL Center Ice.

If you're out of market, get ESPN+ to get all Sabres games. You even get the Buffalo feed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Judging by a lot of responses on here, Direct TV is on the way out.  I'm a 20 yr+ DTV guy and even kept it when I moved from WNY to Vegas a year and a half ago.  Although I just did the streaming in Vegas.  Always liked DTV, just never cared for the price.  I can probably get Youtube TV with HBO, Showtime and Sunday ticket for about the same price or less than  I was getting Direct TV ultimate package. Probably make the switch before the June 6th deadline of Sunday ticket deal. Goodbye Direct TV, it was fun while it lasted!  

With fiber, and not going overboard with advanced programming options on YouTube TV, it's pretty ***** great -- and a heckuva lot cheaper than the cable or DTV route.

Having written that, signed up for DTV probably a decade ago, and it took 8 techs to finally tell us that the tree line would mean zero signal.  Seriously?!  You couldn't put it on the roof?

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I will say that now having had YouTube TV the last few months, I still miss DTV. I think I am just getting old and am used to “old” TV (with channels and a more normal interface). 

Yeah, I miss punching up channel 4 and getting NBC and 206 to get ESPN, etc.  I miss MLB and NHL networks, along with MASN.  But it had to be done...the cost of DTV at $122/month vs. YTTV at $73/month was just too big a gap...and after several calls, DTV was unwilling to close that gap.

• Agree 1

Just now, Ned Flanders said:

Yeah, I miss punching up channel 4 and getting NBC and 206 to get ESPN, etc.  I miss MLB and NHL networks, along with MASN.  But it had to be done...the cost of DTV at $122/month vs. YTTV at $73/month was just too big a gap...and after several calls, DTV was unwilling to close that gap.

Agreed. I told DTV I would stick it out if they could come down to like $65. The closest they could get was like $90, and at an inferior package. I will say I have been getting flyers in the mail for DTV now at $65, but it is too late now. 

But it has been more of a hassle than I thought navigating YTTV. (Why don’t they just put in channel numbers for the channels?!). 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/2/2023 at 12:45 PM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Considering I'm about to move out of market (and will probably give up my seasons when PSLs happen) - Sunday Ticket may be a thing for me in 2026.  Baseball isn't a concern.  I'm sad to be losing MSG and ability to watch Sabres games, especially with them about to become relevant again, but not enough to justify NHL Center Ice.

Center ice isn’t a thing anymore. The vast majority of games are on ESPN+. Grab yourself the Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ package for like 15 bucks a month.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SDS said:

Center ice isn’t a thing anymore. The vast majority of games are on ESPN+. Grab yourself the Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ package for like 15 bucks a month.

If you have a Roku, you need to get the ad-free package at $20/month, for some reason Roku does not support the "With Ads" packages. 

On 5/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, Ned Flanders said:

But hey, I bet they offered you all the premium movie channels for free for 3 months. That more than makes up for endless months at the significantly higher price. 

On 5/5/2023 at 11:27 AM, SDS said:

Already have Hulu and Disney through family/acquaintance account sharing.  But maybe ESPN+ for the season.

54 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Already have Hulu and Disney through family/acquaintance account sharing.  But maybe ESPN+ for the season.

We’re gonna have to schedule a golf outing when you get settled.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Called DirecTV yesterday and got my bill down to 170 from 250. I have a grandfathered plan , all movie channels, sports package and 7 receivers. YouTube TV was tempting but I'm still not impressed with streaming sports picture and motion rate.  I'm happy to pay extra for something I like.  You can also stream DirecTV now on all devices if you're on the road. I hope streaming Sunday Ticket from YouTube isn't as frustrating as other streaming sports!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.