End of an era.... I cancelled DirecTV!

Fezmid

I haven't been around here in forever, but back in the day, I was a big DirecTV advocate. Then they were bought out by AT&T and it all started going downhill. Then they were divested and it got a tiny bit better, but not really. And then they lost Sunday Ticket, and that was the final nail in the coffin.  I cancelled DirecTV.

Not sure if any old-timers will remember me or not, but I figured I should login and share because, well, why not. :)

For anyone interested, I basically cut the cord a couple of years ago, and have been keeping DirecTV purely for Sunday Ticket, suspending the account in the offseason.  I use my own home Plex server and OTA Antenna to save shows, plus some streaming services to fill the gaps.  Here's the article I wrote on the topic:

https://www.neowin.net/news/synology-plex-and-hdhomerun-how-to-cut-the-cord-forever/

RIP, DirecTV, it was a fun 24+ years...!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Fezmid said:

I haven't been around here in forever, but back in the day, I was a big DirecTV advocate. Then they were bought out by AT&T and it all started going downhill. Then they were divested and it got a tiny bit better, but not really. And then they lost Sunday Ticket, and that was the final nail in the coffin.  I cancelled DirecTV.

Not sure if any old-timers will remember me or not, but I figured I should login and share because, well, why not. :)

For anyone interested, I basically cut the cord a couple of years ago, and have been keeping DirecTV purely for Sunday Ticket, suspending the account in the offseason.  I use my own home Plex server and OTA Antenna to save shows, plus some streaming services to fill the gaps.  Here's the article I wrote on the topic:

https://www.neowin.net/news/synology-plex-and-hdhomerun-how-to-cut-the-cord-forever/

I did 17 years and said the hell with it, this was probably 6 years ago. Is what you are doing similar to a superbox or the same thing just going about it a different way?

1 hour ago, T&C said:

I did 17 years and said the hell with it, this was probably 6 years ago. Is what you are doing similar to a superbox or the same thing just going about it a different way?

No -- it's all legit.  I have an HDHomeRun which I plug an antenna into.  That basically takes the local channels I can get over the air and lets me watch them anywhere. I then feed that into a Plex server (running on a Synology NAS for storage) so I basically have unlimited local DVR capacity.  I also ripped all of my DVD/Blu-Ray/4k disks and saved those on the Plex server as well, so I can stream both the local channels and my movies anywhere in the world.

And we have a few streaming services (Netflix, Disney+, etc) to catch other shows we want to see.

BSF favorite streams, ESPN+ I get all our UB Bulls college football and basketball games of the Big 4 UB, St Bonaventure, Canisius and Niagara basketball they are archived so I never miss a game if they are on at the same time just for that it’s worth it no more radio games only. Buffalo Bandits, Buffalo Beauts and Buffalo Sabres. MILB tv stream for all the Buffalo Bisons games so I am covered. The Buffalo Bills, Sabres and New York Yankees are on Cable television where I catch my Los Angeles Clippers when they are on television which is a lot late night. BSF is good I get all the games. That is why I say does it really matter anymore what city a team plays in if these teams are pricing out working class fans in cities like Buffalo?

Television is the key today that is why the NHL is talking about Atlanta again for a third time to expand there along with the huge Houston market because of television markets. TNT is in Atlanta. It really doesn’t matter if the seats are sold today anymore they make the money on television and selling merchandise in the cities that the teams are located in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

22 hours ago, Fezmid said:

Didn’t you used to work for DTV? 

I canceled myself (after almost 20

years), and my plan runs out here in two weeks. Not sure yet what I am going to do. 

3 hours ago, Kiva said:

Who still has cable?  Giant waste of money. 

I have cable. 

And satellite. 

And cassettes.

And an eight track. 

I’ll skip ahead……………….I have an abacus.      😋

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I have cable. 

And satellite. 

And cassettes.

And an eight track. 

You left out reel to reel's and 4-tracks...

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I have cable. 

And satellite. 

And cassettes.

And an eight track. 

But is it the smaller Dish/DTV type dish, or the big 8 foot dish in the backyard? 

I have had DirecTv since 2001. Only reason was the NFL Sunday ticket. Now I will have to get you tube TV since they now have the Sunday ticket. I am a Bills fan who lives in NJ so it's the only way I can see the Bills unless they play the Jets/Giants or it's a primetime game.

Welcome back!  Always like a good DirecTV/Sunday Ticket/streaming discussion, especially @nucciwhen he didn't get any love over at DTV. :lol:

As I've stated in other posts, I dumped DTV after the regular season ended, and went with YouTubeTV.  Monthly bill went from $122 to $65.  YTTV is ok; really pissed they dropped MLB Network two weeks after I joined though.  Hopefully they'll get that fixed before the season starts.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Welcome back!  Always like a good DirecTV/Sunday Ticket/streaming discussion, especially @nucciwhen he didn't get any love over at DTV. :lol:

As I've stated in other posts, I dumped DTV after the regular season ended, and went with YouTubeTV.  Monthly bill went from $122 to $65.  YTTV is ok; really pissed they dropped MLB Network two weeks after I joined though.  Hopefully they'll get that fixed before the season starts.

I just read that they are still negotiating with MLB to get it back. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

MLB is probably the best app for not being tied to a service.  Even if you don't get it through YTTV, most smart devices have the MLB.TV App and it's a seamless setup.  They also offer the ticket just for your main team, which I'm hoping YouTube does for the Bills

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

MLB is probably the best app for not being tied to a service.  Even if you don't get it through YTTV, most smart devices have the MLB.TV App and it's a seamless setup.  They also offer the ticket just for your main team, which I'm hoping YouTube does for the Bills

I'm an O's fan in O's "territory" so MLBTV does me no good.  MLB's antiquated blackout policies preclude me from seeing O's/Nats without cable/satellite.  YouTubeTV does not want to pay the exorbitant RSN "fees" and I don't blame them here.  RSNs are on life support however (really interesting subject if you have the time) and this may expedite the end of the MLB blackouts, hopefully.     

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.