Next year's OL

GreggTX

Give us your starting 5 OL that you'd like to see. Be reasonable if possible. Who do we sign, draft or trade for. Name names. We know it's near impossible to get it all right, but we won't take it out of your paycheck. Just give it your best shot in the dark, so to speak.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Eyeroll 1

LT - Dawkins

LG - Bates

C - Morse

RG - Schmitz 

RT - Darnell Wright or Spencer Brown (whomever wins the job in camp)

In this scenario we probably have to move up in the second round or somehow move back in the first to get 2 early second rounders. But hopefully the draft falls just right and we get both without doing anything or even better moving back a little in the first and picking up and extra draft pick or 2 for other holes.

When Morse retires we have his replacement in Schmitz and worst case scenario for Wright or Brown is the loser could slide into RG or be the swing tackle. 

I’m not a fan of paying a lot of money for retread o lineman whose original teams didn’t want to pay for and who most of the time are overpaid for less production on their new teams deals.

If we’re going after a free agent position I say first sign Lavonte David for a cheaper 1-2 year deal (he’s getting old but still so smart and good) and then trade a 3rd rounder for Deandre Hopkins. We know that would instantly make our offense insane. If Hopkins can’t be had for that then sign OBJ or Michael Thomas to a one year prove it deal because they would ball out with Josh at the helm and with the incentive of proving they’re not has-beens so they can get that final big contract from some other team.

Now that Josh is protected for years to come, next year we can find the playmakers he so desperately needs long term. I’d love Zay Flowers and Michael Mayer but I’d rather have Josh healthy and not running for his life. This year we protect our franchise QB long term and patch work the weapons (unless we get Hopkins).

That'd be my reasonable starting O line projection while also filing in some holes elsewhere

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

LT - Dion Dawkins

LG - Ryan Bates

C - Mitch Morse, Luke Wypler, Ohio State, 3rd round, heir apparent to MM at C, immediate competition for Bates at LG

RG - Nate Davis, FA-Titans, 26 years old, 4 years, $30M total ($7.5M AAV)

RT - Competition between Spencer Brown and Jermaine Eluemunor, FA-Raiders, 28 years old, 2 years, $8M ($4M AAV), winner starts, backup is the swing tackle 

I’d look to do something like this. Reasonable spending, good competition and depth, succession planning at C.  

• Like (+1) 9

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

LT - Dion Dawkins

LG - Ryan Bates

C - Mitch Morse, Luke Wypler, Ohio State, 3rd round, heir apparent to MM at C, immediate competition for Bates at LG

RT - Competition between Spencer Brown and Jermaine Eluemunor, FA-Raiders, 28 years old, 2 years, $8M ($4M AAV), winner starts, backup is the swing tackle 

I’d look to do something like this. Reasonable spending, good competition and depth, succession planning at C.  

Perfect. You could also trade Davis for Seamalu from Philly too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

LT - Dion Dawkins

LG - Ryan Bates

What area would you draft Rd 1?

14 minutes ago, london_bills said:

What area would you draft Rd 1?

WR is my preference, but that depends on who’s there. I’d be happy to see the Bills move up for one (Addison, JSN) as long as they didn’t go crazy on trade compensation. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

WR is my preference, but that depends on who’s there. I’d be happy to see the Bills move up for one (Addison, JSN) as long as they didn’t go crazy on trade compensation. 

Me too but a dark horse type selection could be TE if either Kincaid or Meyers is available from a run on WR's. We would have a pretty lethal 2 TE set with either of those guys.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Me too but a dark horse type selection could be TE if either Kincaid or Meyers is available from a run on WR's. We would have a pretty lethal 2 TE set with either of those guys.

I think that using 2 TE sets would be great, especially if we aren’t in a spot to draft a quality slot WR prospect. Regardless I hope we get more talent at the position and Dorsey embraces true 2 TE sets. It could really help the run game too. 

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

How far would you want to move up? And what you want to give up..

Last year they spent a fourth to move up two spots..

Keep the pick in my opinion ….

LT - Dawkins

LG - Bates

C - Morse

RG - Avila

RT - Brown

Moving Bates to LG improves that position over Saffold

Drafting Avila improves the RG spot over Bates

I'm hoping Brown being healthy, will show improvement, but he'll get legitimate competition for his job this year from another high draft choice.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

How far would you want to move up? And what you want to give up..

Last year they spent a fourth to move up two spots..

Keep the pick in my opinion ….

This draft looks shallow at the top. By the middle of the first I think more teams will be looking to move back for picks than up for a player. So we might get a bit of a deal. You have a valid point though. Do we really want to move up from 27 in this draft? No, not really. But I also don’t like the thought of sitting at 27 with how I think the draft will likely shake out. We’d probably be one of the teams looking to move back - and at that point I’d probably prefer that. 

So the way I look at the situation is like this. I see Addison and JSN as first round prospects. I’d give up 27 and 59 for one of them. That should get us up to around pick 16. JSN is a perfect fit here IMO. The alternative is to draft two second round level prospects at 27 and 59. I’d rather have the prospect I think can be a real difference maker on our offense. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed I think WR, G is the priority even if we trade next year's 2nd I'm ok with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This draft looks shallow at the top. By the middle of the first I think more teams will be looking to move back for picks than up for a player. So we might get a bit of a deal. You have a valid point though. Do we really want to move up from 27 in this draft? No, not really. But I also don’t like the thought of sitting at 27 with how I think the draft will likely shake out. We’d probably be one of the teams looking to move back - and at that point I’d probably prefer that. 

So the way I look at the situation is like this. I see Addison and JSN as first round prospects. I’d give up 27 and 59 for one of them. That should get us up to around pick 16. JSN is a perfect fit here IMO. The alternative is to draft two second round level prospects at 27 and 59. I’d rather have the prospect I think can be a real difference maker on our offense. 

ok..

Im good keeping the second this year and finding a starter with that pick… four years for cheap…

Edited by Aussie Joe

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.