Report: Dolphins exploring “moving on” from Tua

Big Blitz

On 3/3/2023 at 8:37 PM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Maybe they could do a Tua + for Lamar trade. That's about the only path I see for no Tua in Miami next year. 

So a Tag and Trade deal? Not sure why the Fins would go for that as Lamar would be a FA again next season. Unless they could pre-negotiate and extension with him. 

On 3/3/2023 at 9:28 PM, Success said:

That would for sure be concerning.  But that would still be a short-term thing.  And he isn't as good as he was.  But he'd still make that team very tough for a year or 2.

I dunno, hes got a bit of that "baker feeling slighted" juice. not saying he wont cash a check and sign out, but wouldnt shock me to see him light the league on fire either (especially with an ol heavy draft (which i expect). only a season removed from mvp

On 3/4/2023 at 9:07 AM, Nextmanup said:

The better question is whether or not TUA is looking to moving on from football! 

He certainly should be.

The insurance payout plus earnings to date will be plenty to keep him going.

does he have one of those - college player coming back for another year type policies?

Miami's picks this year are a 2, 3, 3, 6 and 7.  Next year it's 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7.

They would have to wipe out their drafts for a Rodgers/Jackson trade.

The Bradley Chubb trade wiped out their cap (-$15M) and they have Tua, Austin Jackson and Igbinoghene all up for 5th year options this year.

They got a lot of decisions ahead of them.  I don't see anyone but Tua playing QB for them this year.  Skylar Thompson can't be their fall back

if Tua goes down so they have to get a decent backup QB that will cost more than normal.  

I don't understand why so many are worried about them.  Good players on the team but in a tough position.

• Agree 1

On 3/3/2023 at 8:42 PM, Big Blitz said:

Not sure why it's surprising...the last time Tua played a full season was in high school.  He has been injured at every level in every season since then for many games each year.  Currently likely one major concussion away from being a fan the rest of his life.  

Best ability for any player is availability, nothing really matters if you don't have that first.  How can a team commit franchise QB money to a guy they know is going to miss 3-4 games every season and probably have no chance of being any better than 1-3 in those games?  They can't.  It doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

I have NO idea how valid this is, but...Link no worky.  Sorry, couldn't figure out how to put a picture in here said the file was too big even after re-sizing.  Basically it's "Pro Football Debate" quoting something called TD Phins Talk saying there is a report that the Phins are trading Tua and a 3rd to Tampa for a 1st if Lamar is on a non-exclusive tag and then will make Lamar highest paid QB to bring him to Miami.  How they would do that with their cap issue and just how reliable this "report" is, I don't know.

Edited by fergie's ire

8 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

I have NO idea how valid this is, but...Link no worky.  Sorry, couldn't figure out how to put a picture in here said the file was too big even after re-sizing.  Basically it's "Pro Football Debate" quoting something called TD Phins Talk saying there is a report that the Phins are trading Tua and a 3rd to Tampa for a 1st if Lamar is on a non-exclusive tag and then will make Lamar highest paid QB to bring him to Miami.  How they would do that with their cap issue and just how reliable this "report" is, I don't know.

Pass.

TD Phins Talk is a Dolphins YouTuber with about 25k subs.  That barely registers when it comes to "influencer" status. If none of the Dolphins beat reporters are saying anything, there's nothing going on.  He just had a kid too, so if he wrangles another couple thousand subs off the rumor mill, good for him and his side hustle.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:27 PM, Dr.Sack said:

A good move considering Tua plays the most important position on a team and there are legitimate concerns over his ability to stay concussion free. 

If I was him I’d move away from Miami. Their coaches put his life at risk running him back on the field 

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

No chance on either scenario.  Tampa's not giving up a 1st for damaged goods and Miami can't absorb Lamar's fully guaranteed contract without gutting the team.

• Like (+1) 1

Rodgers is going to retire. Maybe he unretires later and does whatever he can to secure an outright release, but IMO he will retire soon. By doing that he could force the Packers to cut him due to the cap. 

Hey, the Packers have only themselves to blame. They could have had the Russell Wilson deal with Denver, but they were determined that they didn't want Rodgers to play for them, and they didn't want him to go anywhere they didn't want him to go, so this is what you get. 

Also, they DID want him to "learn from Favre" so it looks like he did. 

Rodgers is a genius. He tanked his trade value so that his new team wouldn't be gutted. No way a team gives up more than one 1st round pick for a guy who supposedly can't decide if he wants to play anymore, let alone in 2024. 

His course of action is probably to drag this out as long as possible with 2 aims:

1. drop his trade value so that his new team can still be competitive

2. possibly get an outright release if he doesn't get the trade he wants now

It sounds like the Packers don't want him back, don't want him in the NFC, don't want him to wear a blue jersey, don't want him to succeed anywhere, etc... If that's the case then he'll retire, then unretire this summer and they will be screwed with that contract and have no choice but to cut him. It was his plan all along. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Haha (+1) 1

It’s interesting to note that McDaniels was on Mike Shanahan’s staff in Washington when they literally would not take Robert Griffin off the field even though he couldn’t walk and later found he had torn both his ACL and his LCL. Interesting pattern here.

On 3/5/2023 at 11:06 AM, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

So a Tag and Trade deal? Not sure why the Fins would go for that as Lamar would be a FA again next season. Unless they could pre-negotiate and extension with him. 

Any team trading for Lamar would have to go in knowing they'll be signing him to a fully guaranteed $270M contract. The entire trade would be contingent on a long term deal. The only owners I can think of willing to do that for him right now are Blank and Ross. Would not be surprised to see Miami do it since Ross was willing to give up ownership % to get Brady on the team. (still think it ends up Atlanta)

Concussions, especially for a QB, are a deal killer for me. The league isn't now where it was when Aikman was playing (and it's a good thing). I think prudent risk management would suggest moving on from Tua asap. Personally I'd love to see Lamar in Miami. Don't really want to be in a Division where one team always wipes the floor with the others. 

• Disagree 3

On 3/5/2023 at 6:25 PM, major said:

If I was him I’d move away from Miami. Their coaches put his life at risk running him back on the field 

Agreed; however he’s on a rookie deal. The fins want long term stability. Tua is going into his 4th season. He’d be a great backup who has proven he can run their offense to a high efficiency when healthy. I’d look for a replacement and put Tua at #2 for 2023. 

On 3/5/2023 at 9:25 PM, major said:

Quite true, but by this point in a career most players have long since drunk the koolaid on the “gotta tough it out through injury” thing, and become their own worst enemy under those circumstance. Imo Tua is a serious candidate for earlier retirement, and the taking classes on how to fall and not hit his head should be ringing alarm bells in his own head and those that supposedly care for him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.