Daniel Jones wants more than $45M per year on new deal

billsbackto81

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Unless there's some long term plan to draft a guy, this coukd be daboll's downfall. Imagine if Jones is terrible the next 2 seasons, or imagine if McDermott and Beane signed Tyrod.for some big contract after 2017

Oh I definitely think there’s some risk. 
Daboll has to think he can progress further than where he’s at. 
Even though similar to buffalo they got into the playoffs year one I still expected them to let Jones and Barkley walk and tank the season and really tear it down. Schoen and Daboll just put their jobs on the line signing him. 

Just now, Steptide said:

Unless there's some long term plan to draft a guy, this coukd be daboll's downfall. Imagine if Jones is terrible the next 2 seasons, or imagine if McDermott and Beane signed Tyrod.for some big contract after 2017

If Jones is terrible the next two seasons, they'll be drafting early enough to get a new QB in 2025, and likely be able to walk away from this contract with a reasonable dead cap hit.

Just saying, there could be a plan. Jones outright sucking wouldnt be the worst thing. The worst thing would be playing "ok", make a Wild Card again next year but never win more than 9 games, never be bad enough to cut or get a high draft pick, but never be good enough to do anything.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Danny got paid and I’m not surprised when Daniel faced a defense with a pulse he looked horrible but the Giants are in no man’s land first round wise and it would have probably taken too much for them to move up

Year 2 in the system - they need a WR to probably open things up a bit.  I don't think they'll make the playoffs this year though, their defense is just not very good and you got philly and dallas in the division.  

8-4-1 in 1 score games (one of the losses was week 18 when Webb started) is really unsustainable.  Jones had 6 fumbles in 16 starts, vs. 36 across the previous 37 - and his sack rate actually increased.  So he fumbled less, threw fewer interceptions, and ran more.  While staying healthy... This just needs a lot of stuff to go right for it to not be a disaster. 

15 TD passes (another 7 on the ground) for 22 total in 16 games, and he got 40M AAV. Definitely not paying for what he's done so far, paying for what you think he's capable of.  

The Giants just doubled down on 9-7-1 where a few of those 9 wins were a lucky bounce away from being a loss. Remember the bad snap that led to the game-winning interception against Baltimore? Their week 1 win against the Titans required a missed FG in OT. It took an A-Rod choke to win in London. I think that if they were not coaching in NY, they would not have gone this route. But in NY they cannot afford a reset year like the Bills had in 2018 with a rookie QB.

Yikes! Schoen will have his work cut out for him now. He doesn’t even get the benefit of building his roster with a cheap Qb contract. He goes right to the QB mega contract in year 2. And for a QB who IMO isn’t elite.

Going to be tough to build a contending roster with that Jones deal, unless Jones takes another big step forward.

31 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Giants just doubled down on 9-7-1 where a few of those 9 wins were a lucky bounce away from being a loss. Remember the bad snap that led to the game-winning interception against Baltimore? Their week 1 win against the Titans required a missed FG in OT. It took an A-Rod choke to win in London. I think that if they were not coaching in NY, they would not have gone this route. But in NY they cannot afford a reset year like the Bills had in 2018 with a rookie QB.

This is all true, but I really do believe that Jones has genuine physical upside and the intelligence to play the position well. Is he Josh Allen or Herbert or Mahomes? No. But he could also evolve into a player as good as Hurts and Prescott. He really needs weapons at the WR position, though. That's where the Giants should be focusing their energies on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Giants very likely already gave his possible replacements on speed dial, if I’m the GM or HC I tell him to go ask the Browns for that contract and have a great laugh while enjoying a good Scotch whiskey 🥃 

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Danny got paid and I’m not surprised when Daniel faced a defense with a pulse he looked horrible but the Giants are in no man’s land first round wise and it would have probably taken too much for them to move up

Was that because of physical deficiencies or he was getting beat scheme wise because better defenses scheme better?

He already made a huge leap it sounds like scheme wise under dabol. 

33 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

You think you know more about NFL QB play than Brian Daboll?

Do you not realize that Daboll...:

1) signed off on this deal. He WANTS Daniel as his long-term QB.

2) loved Daniel Jones before the 2022 season even began. He took the Giants HC job BECAUSE they had Daniel Jones as their QB.

Suuuurrrrrrre, that's why they're in this situation and not having him play out his 5th year option right now. 

Oh Yeah Ok GIF by Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.