NCAA proposing new Timing rules

Cynical

"If approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on April 20, the game clock will continue to run when a first down is gained. Currently, the game clock stops when a first down is gained, and the clock restarts when the offense is awarded a first down. The game clock will continue to be stopped when a first down is gained during the last two minutes of either half."

Teams would be prohibited from calling consecutive team timeouts.

Penalties at the end of the first and third quarter would carry over and be enforced on the first play of the next quarter.

I am all in the last 2.

The first one, meh. How much time are we actually talking here?

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/3/3/media-center-timing-rules-changes-proposed-in-football.aspx

On 3/3/2023 at 2:43 PM, Cynical said:

"If approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on April 20, the game clock will continue to run when a first down is gained. Currently, the game clock stops when a first down is gained, and the clock restarts when the offense is awarded a first down. The game clock will continue to be stopped when a first down is gained during the last two minutes of either half."

Teams would be prohibited from calling consecutive team timeouts.

Penalties at the end of the first and third quarter would carry over and be enforced on the first play of the next quarter.

I am all in the last 2.

The first one, meh. How much time are we actually talking here?

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/3/3/media-center-timing-rules-changes-proposed-in-football.aspx

How about we cut back the number of commercial timeouts? I get SO ANNOYED when I see the official come from the sidelines with the orange gloves to stop the clock for a damn TV timeout. Seems like they do it every 2-3 minutes! 

• 2 weeks later...

The first down clock stoppage was always, to me at least, part of the beauty of the college game...however, now with four hour plus games, I think it's time it goes away.  I like the compromise of the clock stoppage during the final two minutes of each half. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.