Von Miller the GM?

dancing_joker

Imagine the outrage if we had social media back in the 60's when players had other jobs during the offseason...

"You won't believe who was doing oil changes at the corner gas station today!!!!"

"Guess who was bagging my groceries at the local supermarket!!!!"

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dancing_joker said:

Maybe try reading the article from PFT and read the quotes from Miller...

The article just says he’s having trouble getting other GM’s and front offices aside from the Bills to talk to him because he’s under contract as a player. 

Try again. You’re making some silly assumptions. 

Darryl Talley worked at McDonalds during the off season to learn how to become a franchisee.  I don't remember anyone soiling themselves on the internet about that.  Oh wait.  Al Gore handn't invented the internet until after that.  Never mind.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think this is awesome. Dude obviously lives and breathes football. He is rehabbing injury and it’s the off-season - what is he supposed to be doing to get ready for next season right now? 

Additionally, Von has been in the league a long time. He knows lots of people outside of the Bills - no harm in him picking their brains as well as Beane’s, which he’s reported to have already been doing. 

3 hours ago, dancing_joker said:

Anyone else find it extremely odd that Von Miller went to the combine to learn how to evaluate players to become a GM? The guy has 2 more guaranteed years in his contract…and he’s already focusing on his post-football career? The bills are probably not thrilled either, considering the article makes no mention of him being with and working with the team’s front office staff. 

Miller’s reason for attending? “So I’m here to meet with guys, for the guys to give me instructions on what to do with my right foot next and what to do with my left foot next. And make the first steps to making this happen.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/02/with-goal-of-someday-becoming-a-g-m-von-miller-visits-scouting-combine/

I mean is he supposed to stay at home and learn more techniques how to sack a QB? He's a future hall of famer and who hasn't thought of life after their job a few years before you retire? I see nothing wrong with this imo. 

3 hours ago, dancing_joker said:

Maybe try reading the article from PFT and read the quotes from Miller...

So I did read the article.  I didn't see anywhere that it stated Miller asked to work with the Bills but they declined or that the Bills asked Miller to work with them and he declined.  Going on his own certainly is a better way to network with more people from different perspectives and "Coaching trees" 

Yes Florio thinks it's odd, can't say I disagree or agree wit him, it's just his take and wrote a column about it.

He was drafted by Elway at Denver, for all we know, Elway may have told him at one time that this exactly what he had done years back maybe while still playing.  Social media has changed the world in that everyone knows what everyone else is doing all the time if you're somewhat famous.  30 years ago, Elway could have done the same and no one would have even noticed.  Or at least not maybe the 5 people covering the combine back then.  He also has the status that allows him to do this whereas many who may want to can't. As Florio pointed out, it does sound a bit like Miller want's to follow the Elway route and become a GM without working his way up the latter, doing something like this, would help him there.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dancing_joker said:

Anyone else find it extremely odd that Von Miller went to the combine to learn how to evaluate players to become a GM? The guy has 2 more guaranteed years in his contract…and he’s already focusing on his post-football career? The bills are probably not thrilled either, considering the article makes no mention of him being with and working with the team’s front office staff. 

Miller’s reason for attending? “So I’m here to meet with guys, for the guys to give me instructions on what to do with my right foot next and what to do with my left foot next. And make the first steps to making this happen.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/02/with-goal-of-someday-becoming-a-g-m-von-miller-visits-scouting-combine/

No offense, but this is one of the more whinier rants I have seen this offseason.  Not sure why this would bother anyone, it is not like its going to set his rehab back or anything.  It is the offseason, nothing wrong with him looking down the road and taking opportunities to further his aspirations post career.  In fact, I thought this was pretty cool and good for him.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Gives Brandon an excellent opportunity to talk to him about restructuring his contract

Von,

I cannot talk to you about YOUR contract but I can talk to you about GM work in general.

How would you handle a very high priced free agent who was brought on the team to lead us on defense in playoffs but could not stay healthy enough to make the playoffs?  Then due to cap crunch due to that contract I needed to use practice squad call ups until those players were ineligible and then I needed to sign previous players who were let go to finish the season since that was all we could afford?  All the while this new high priced free agent was trying to bring in players we could not afford without offering a cent reduction on his contract?  Then he go stirs up the water, water which is very muddy and perfect for mud fights, pretending to be a GM?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.