Has Sean McDermott's Bills met your personal expectations over the last four season?

Chaos

Has Sean McDermott's Bills met your personal expectations over the last four season?   

242 members have voted

1. 1. Has Sean McDermott's Bills met your personal expectations over the last four season?

• Met my expectations
    • Exceeded my expecations
    • Fell short of my expectations.

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If it is the last 4 years, he has failed. They have had 4 years of Super Bowl talent. I’m not naive enough to think that means 4 championships. At the same time, 1 conference title appearance is a failure. 

I'm not sure we have had four years of Superbowl talent. It is three years for me. 2019 Josh Allen was not a Superbowl Quarterback, and John Brown was our #1 receiver. 

It's three years - 2020, 2021, 2022 - that we have had elite QB play and enough other pieces to at least be in contention. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sure we have had four years of Superbowl talent. It is three years for me. 2019 Josh Allen was not a Superbowl Quarterback, and John Brown was our #1 receiver. 

It's three years - 2020, 2021, 2022 - that we have had elite QB play and enough other pieces to at least be in contention. 

They weren’t perfect in 2019 but I’d argue, had a shot. They had to have everything go wrong vs. the Texans to lose in OT. The next week the Texans blew a 24-0 lead at KC (who went on to win the Super Bowl). They would have needed things to go right but it wasn’t like the Jags playoff game where they should have been happy to be there. That 2019 team was probably the 5th or 6th choice to win the SB when the playoffs started.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They weren’t perfect in 2019 but I’d argue, had a shot. They had to have everything go wrong vs. the Texans to lose in OT. The next week the Texans blew a 24-0 lead at KC (who went on to win the Super Bowl). They would have needed things to go right but it wasn’t like the Jags playoff game where they should have been happy to be there. That 2019 team was probably the 5th or 6th choice to win the SB when the playoffs started.

Meh. I never felt that team had a shot at the Superbowl. I felt like they had a shot at winning a playoff game, but that was their ceiling IMO. 

Idk how he didn't exceed everybody's expectations.  He took a terrible team and roster, completely renovated it and now we're constant SB contenders because of him and Beane. 

He has fell short in the playoffs and had some questionable calls but overall he has been a blessing to this franchise.  He's still growing and learning as a HC and I think the best years are going forward

It has been a heck of a ride since McDermott and Beane arrived.  The Bills have been exciting, relevant, and one of the best teams in the NFL.

The January 2022 playoff loss to KC was one of the most painful losses of my life. (First memories of the Bills was 1963).

But I am wise enough not to over react and call for the replacement or our braintrust.

We are in the middle of one if the best eras in the Bills franchise history. 

Changing coach or gm now would be so foolish.

Most NFL franchises would love to be in our position. 

The biggest disappointment to me recently is how the tenor has changed on this board.  It used to be that after a disappointing loss the posters here would console and offer insightful analysis and opinions.

Now we get venomous and vicious over reactions and complete disrespect for opposing positions. 

I honestly don't read this board as much as I used to.  The Two Bills Drive that I used to love has been hijacked and turned very ugly.

Back to thebtopic atbhand, we need to stay the course and have patience with McDermott and Beane.  They are our best chance to make our dream of a Super Bowl championship come true.

GO BILLS!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I feel at first yes, but now no.

Also feel we match up better against the Chiefs and believe if we had to play at KC in the playoffs this past year we would have won.  Bengals seem to have our number matchup wise.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have zero Super Bowl expectations. The Bills are a very good team, but definitely not a great team. It’s fun to watch them be competitive week after week but I’ve yet to see anything that shows me they’re ready to win a championship. (Sorry) 

The year of 13 seconds was it. I don't think they need a complete rebuild as they did win 13 games but a retool is in order. Beane needs to improve the OL and get more weapons for Allen. I expect the defense will regress most likely but if they can improve the offense then they should be able to compete with the Chiefs/Bengals as well as hold off any challenge from the Dolphins/Jets within the division. My hope is the defense can at least be in the top 10-12 range.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Look at the Rams roster when they won it all.

Look at the Chiefs roster this year. Mahomes played on one leg.

Look at how bad Cinci's oline was when they went to the Super Bowl and when they hammered the Bills. 

Point being coaches, game plans, and schemes make a difference. Unexpected and inexperienced players step up. 

The last two seasons has shown us that the above mentioned is where the Bills fall miserably short. 

Until I see something different, I cannot have much faith that the Bills organization and team can stride to the next step. 

47 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Look at the Rams roster when they won it all.

Look at the Chiefs roster this year. Mahomes played on one leg.

Look at how bad Cinci's oline was when they went to the Super Bowl and when they hammered the Bills. 

Point being coaches, game plans, and schemes make a difference. Unexpected and inexperienced players step up. 

The last two seasons has shown us that the above mentioned is where the Bills fall miserably short. 

Until I see something different, I cannot have much faith that the Bills organization and team can stride to the next step. 

I don't disagree particularly. But you can't really think that 2019 roster was a legit superbowl contender? 2020 on, yes, that's fair to say. And coaching is part of the reason we haven't got over the hump (but far from the only reason). 

We all know how I feel as a Buffalonian and a Buffalo Bills fan. Also it isn’t a personal thing with Sean McDermott he can stay whatever but with the Bills coaching job comes with critics. Boston a 25 year old Boston sports fan has seen championships in all four majors. Next year is year 49 as a Buffalo sports fan and a Bills fan. This city of Buffalo never won a National undisputed championship in the four majors in the pros or college. The Bills AFL champion is disputed by the NFL champions no Super Bowl back in 1964 and 1965. The Bills the 1990’s, Sabres 1975, 1999 and Bonnies 1970 came oh so close but they didn’t win a national championship for Buffalo.

Give BSF any thing Bills, Sabres, Bulls, Bonnies, Griffs or Purple Eagles a undisputed National Championship for Buffalo. It is beyond ridiculous the amount of failure for our Buffalo area sports teams. There are way too many in Buffalo give Ralph Krueger and tanking a chance in this town. Yes sports comes with failure but that doesn’t mean keeping the same coach hoping and wishing. Sean McDermott will be fired by the Buffalo Bills at some point. So if I was the Bills I would trade Sean McDermott for draft picks while his stock is still high around the NFL media and fans. I think Sean McDermott has reached his ceiling as a Bills coach let’s find a willing team to trade Sean McDermott too before the Bills have to fire him and end up with nothing compensation wise in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Dislike 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:22 PM, nedboy7 said:

Just wondering then, do you watch regular season games?  I assume you wait till the playoffs to start watching.  And if you do watch, did you actually put yourself thru those 17 years of mediocrity when all you care is about the SB? 

Dude I've watched every game since 79, that doesnt change the fact that sometimes you have to go down to come back up, like philly just did. I would love to do what the patriots did but so far that hasn't happened.

Also now is NOT the time to go down, but maybe in a few years we will have to rebuild.

• 1 month later...

All things being equal - the chance of winning the SB in any year is 1-in-32.  But things aren't equal - rosters, schedules, injuries, coaching, and so on.  

It used to be back in the years of drought and sorrow that the Bills had maybe one chance in a thousand in a given season.  But under Beane and McD, it feels like our chances are maybe 1-in-8 or something like that.  

I really want to see the Bills lift a Lombardi before I croak and I'm generally pleased there's a realistic chance this may happen.  

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

All things being equal - the chance of winning the SB in any year is 1-in-32.  But things aren't equal - rosters, schedules, injuries, coaching, and so on.  

It used to be back in the years of drought and sorrow that the Bills had maybe one chance in a thousand in a given season.  But under Beane and McD, it feels like our chances are maybe 1-in-8 or something like that.  

I really want to see the Bills lift a Lombardi before I croak and I'm generally pleased there's a realistic chance this may happen.  

Franchises are largely separated by ownership/executive/administrators and QB.  Some create a solid franchise, some are middle of the road, some are TBD, and others are behind the curve and on the verge of being fired.  Then there's the small group of teams that share characteristics of the first and second groups like Buffalo.

There's no question this franchise is in much better shape than they were 6 years ago.  They made the leap from fringe playoff/mediocrity to perennial playoff appearances.  Question now is do they take the next step to SB appearance.  That remains to be seen after they exited the playoffs the last 2 seasons.  

Bill Walsh once said there are about 7-8 teams each season who are legitimate contenders and that holds true over a regular season.  Even with 14 playoff teams now, some of those aren't SB contenders.  I expect them to make that leap and anything short of that is failure...but then again it's all about the ride.  :thumbsup:  

My expectations for the Bills are playing in the Divisional Round of the playoffs.  It's one game away from the AFCCG.

Winning the AFCCG against another outstanding team is not an easy task.  It can come down to a handful of plays that

decide the game.  It's all I can ask for.

I will once again quote Jordan Poyer in his "welcome back to Buffalo" presser.

When asked what the team needs to accomplish its goal (Superbowl), Jordan's answer was "Finish".

I would like to here those that said it has fallen short . Sure every one here would have liked to have a SB in the bag by now so we could all say he;s fallen short of our expectations but to go from 1 play off appearance in 17 years to 5 in 6 yrs i'd say not a bad showing .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.