Has Sean McDermott's Bills met your personal expectations over the last four season?

Chaos

Has Sean McDermott's Bills met your personal expectations over the last four season?   

242 members have voted

1. 1. Has Sean McDermott's Bills met your personal expectations over the last four season?

• Met my expectations
    • Exceeded my expecations
    • Fell short of my expectations.

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

Every NFL player would love to have a career like Brady. Josh is going on year 6 and hasn't played in a Super Bowl yet. To match Brady is realistically not going to happen. Think Ben, Payton, Eli is what I am hoping for Josh. Win a couple of Super Bowls along with a great career that ends up in Canton. I don't know if Eli will make it. Payton is there and Ben will be there.

I feel like we may see more of a Phillip Rivers situation here. Great Qb on a team that is good but just can't get the job done. Allen is better than Rivers imo so I just hope that OBD builds around him better and maybe we'll see the Bills in the big one. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Goin Breakdown said:

I feel like we may see more of a Phillip Rivers situation here. Great Qb in a team that is good but just can't get the job done. Allen is better than Rivers imo so I just hope that OBD builds around him better and maybe we'll see the Bills in the big one. 

Marino would be another good comparison although he did play in one Super Bowl.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

We give way to much credit to McD and Beane.   They both came from the Panthers & Eagles organizations that never won a Super Bowl while either of them were on these teams staff as a DC or assistant GM.

So, until you get a GM and Coach with a actual Super Bowl winning pedigree,  how can you expect them to win a super bowl for Buffalo ???  Pegula is truly being taken advantage of IMO.  He so badly wants to believe in Beane and McD as his 2 main guys,  to win a SB for him,  he is blinded to what realistic expectations these two can deliver on, to a fault.  There are much better GM and coaching tandems in the league that have turned around franchises in less than 5 years.  Cincinnati is one of those teams.

Neither one of these guys IMO will get us to a Super bowl, Beane especially,  in the past five years he has put this team in worse financial CAP status then they have been in since Doug Whaley was running the show at GM.  Beane's FA talent assessment capability's is atrocious.  Since 2019 with a $77.3 million in cap space, his only real talent contributions signed to this team,  that have helped us for more than a single season can be counted on one hand.  These are players that were not acquired via the draft. Poyer, Hyde, Diggs and Beasley.   No one on the defensive line that Beane has signed has done squat for this team.  They have all been average or below average at best, or a bust. 

Even the elusive unicorn "Vonn Miller" has been a bust.  Why a bust you say???  He was was brought in to make a difference, get us over the KC hurdle, get us to a title game, get us a more dominate D-Line, get us to a SB, get us a SB win.   Now the reality folks, he's injured and out until maybe Dec of 2023.  God only knows when he suits up again as a starter for the Bills in 2023.  He failed to do any of the above for this team last year and do you  really believe a 34 year old player will accomplish these objectives for us this year coming off a ACL injury.   We can't even beat Cincinnati much less KC.  This move has been the biggest bust signing in this teams history and contract wise ever.   Even eclipsing the Mario Williams contract and then some.  Ughhh......

Yeah signing a 33 year old soon to be 34 year old guy to a unheard  of 6 year $120 M &  $69,960,000 guaranteed is just ridiculously stupid for one player when you already have JA 17's salary to contend with.  Beane is Whaley 2.0, if not worse,  like I said in another post.

Since 2017 we have been elevated to just a post season playoff caliber team only with McD and Beane, 9 playoff appearances and we are 4-5 in those 9 games with no AFCCG wins.

We are wasting JA's window to get this team a SB win.   The clock is ticking, tic tock, tic tock...........................

Yeah to all you Beane and McD lovers, you want how many more years of Beane and McD in charge at the helm for Buffalo? 

This all equates to a epic failure.  NO SUPER BOWLS !!!!

Accurate post.  I would add to the whole Von Miller acquisition thing that it was a high-risk high-reward thing, that he was brought in by Beane to cover Beane's inadequacies at producing the same type of player on his own via the Drafts, and hardly for a lack of resources and post-draft statements of assurance either.  It was an enormous gamble on Beane's part.  

Having said that, had it worked out, we'd all have been ecstatic.  Most of us would be more than happy to ride off into the sunset with a singular Championship.   I know that I would be, I'm not greedy, just one is all I need.  None of us are expecting a dynasty and multiple Super Bowl wins as many seem to be underlying the thread question with.  It'd be nice and we shouldn't rule it out as long as we have Allen, but as expectations, that's not realistic.  As with all things like that though, the Von Miller acquistition, there are benefits and risks.  Unfortunately for Beane, and us, we realized the risks, not the benefits.  Having said that, we realized the risks, and not the benefits, and Beane needs to be held accountable.  But accountability to themselves is not something that the team leadership does well.  They talk a good game, but when it comes to themselves, nada.  One can only say empty things for so long before people start calling them out on it.  It seems that everyone including the national media and NFL fans in general are seeing it, just not a portion of our own fans.  

It shouldn't have escaped anyone's notice that they're not really using the phrase "The Process" anymore.  There's a reason for that.  It's worn out its welcome.  No one wants to hear after 6 years that they just need to trust.  They can't even give us explanations that other coaching staffs do for varying things, "13 Seconds" or this postseason's nonsense as two examples.  

Here's the thing about this situation, what does it say when head coaches can't figure out what every casual football fan and other coach knows, namely what not to do in the last 13 Seconds of a game under those circumstances.  We're not talking about Belichick-like defensive scheming here, we're talking about the simplest of things that high school coaches know.  I mean what's the learning curve for that by a coach, for something that everyone knows?  For a head coach of 6 seasons?  That's a pretty big gap there between a "mistake" and the mountain of understanding that, apparently, needs to be climbed to achieve the team's goals at some entirely unbeknownst time in the distant future.  Same for that pathetic defensive display that we got this past postseason.  I mean seriously, is that coaching that's "on the cusp" or simply needs more time to learn?  LOL  To me it seems pretty far from basic competence, not being close to getting us to the promised land.  Yet, the defense of it is pretty heavy.  

Also, it's a pattern.  Our 2020 exit from the playoffs, KC posted their best postseason game against us.  Wild-card Cleveland and their 21st ranked defense gave KC a better game than we did, with Baker Mayfield and Jarvis Landry and Rashard Higgins as their top-2 WRs.  

And how long do we wait?  Until Allen's time here is spent, either due to his opting out, because of major injury, or otherwise being unable to do what he does due to above-and-beyond abuse that he's taken due to their failure to minimize it while having to compensate for the OL, the RBs, and the coaching.  If after a couple more seasons of him having to do everything, if he hasn't paid the price due to injury, then why wouldn't he move on?  He wants a Championship too, reasonably so, and he expects what some here are telling us it's unreasonable to expect.  Which one of us is going to go into that locker room before this coming season and announce that it's unreasonable to expect us, them, the team, to go to the AFC Championship Game?  They'd get thrown out of that locker room faster than a used kleenex into the trash.  

It's the pattern here coupled with the lack of official explanations that are concerning.  Just like everything else, by the time it becomes obvious to enough people to intitiate a change, it'll probably be too late.  That's the most unfortunate thing about it.  

Bickering and arguing about it here isn't going to help though.  It's just a place to vent, a place to piss into the wind.  LOL  

We'll simply have to let things play out.  No other choice.  

28 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Marino would be another good comparison although he did play in one Super Bowl.

Or Fouts.  San Diego had one of the best offenses in league history during the late '70s and early '80s.  They were incredibly entertaining to watch.  

But San Diego wasted Fouts', Winslow's, Jefferson's, and Joiner's talents during that time.  The went to the AFC Championship Game only twice.  Fouts was better than Rivers and so was the Charger offense under Fouts.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some posters seem to poo-poo some of the teams' achievements, as if these things are common or easy, but they are not. 

How many of the 32 NFL teams went to the playoffs in each of the last four years? Answer is 2 (KC, BUF) 

How many teams won their division at least 3 of the last 4 years? Answer is 3 (KC, BUF, GB) [KC took their division all 4 years; BUF and GB 3 out of 4]

The Bills have the second best record in the NFL over the last 4 years, winning 72.3% of their regular season games (just two games behind KC and a half game ahead of Green Bay]. And we have proven we can hang with and beat KC (the undisputed best team in the league over the last 4 years).We are 2-3 against them over the last 3 years with 4 out of 5 games being played in KC and the 13 second game being as close as you can get to a tie. So, we have almost played them even across the board...they just won the two most important ones.

The Bills are 50% in the playoffs (4-4) over that span, with two wacky games that just as easily could have gone the Bills way. In essence, the Bills were 2 plays away from having at least a 6-2 playoff record. We only got solidly beat twice in the playoffs, the Championship game against KC (we just weren't ready yet/KC was better...and the refs let them maul our already banged up WR corps) and Cincy this year [where no matter how many of you want to deny it, that team was physically and emotionally out of gas and understandably so---in fact, I don't think there are many coaches who could have navigated the ups and downs of last season (the injuries, the tragedies, etc.) as well as Sean did.] 

McD has already brought us some now all-time Bills memories: "breaking the drought on New Year's Eve," "drafting Josh," "the perfect playoff game vs. the Pats," and complain all you want about the 13 seconds, but that is still one of the greatest NFL playoff games ever, etc. Not to mention that they have built a team of players I like to root for. The family atmosphere and being united with the city and fan base does matter to me (I know it doesn't to all).

I mean, what are we complaining about here? Some want to throw all of those positives away because of a handful of plays that didn't go our way in the playoffs (be they mistakes or not)? I originally voted "met expectations," but heck, I think they've actually exceeded expectations overall, despite not bringing a Lombardi home yet. Of course, winning a championship is always the goal and what we all want, but it's just not as easy as some seem to think. You need a lot of things to bounce your way. We just haven't caught the bounces yet.

To state the obvious:

96.96% of head coaches do not win a Super Bowl in any given year

93.75% of head coaches do not make it to a Super Bowl in any given year

In the 54 years of the Super Bowl era, only 21 head coaches total have won a Super Bowl.

Falling short of a Super Bowl appearance does not automatically equate to inadequacies or diminish the chances of that coach making a Super Bowl in the future. But the fact that only 21 guys have ever done it points to both how difficult it actually is to do, and to the slim chances of just automatically finding someone else who can do it (if we moved on from McDermott).

We hated when Jauron said it, but it's true, it's not easy to win in the NFL. And yet, McD has had the Bills as a Top 3 team consistently over the last four years. That's a lot of wins we've been able to enjoy. And one of these years with Josh and McD, things will fall our way and it will be our time, but until then, appreciate what we have and enjoy the ride.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I feel like we may see more of a Phillip Rivers situation here. Great Qb on a team that is good but just can't get the job done. Allen is better than Rivers imo so I just hope that OBD builds around him better and maybe we'll see the Bills in the big one. 

There’s no way Josh stays on this team as long as Rivers did. 2 more seasons max unless there’s a very swift coaching change and attractive plan forward to salvage what’s left of his career after McD obliterated it.

54 minutes ago, Governor said:

There’s no way Josh stays on this team as long as Rivers did. 2 more seasons max unless there’s a very swift coaching change and attractive plan forward to salvage what’s left of his career after McD obliterated it.

Ohh man. I don't know if I can agree with this. I understand what your saying, but more than two years. End of contract?....mayne then he'd test the market if buffalo is spinning their tires. Man that's a sucky thought though

The answer is yes, and more! 7 years ago, the Bills were totally irrelevant. Had appeared on Sunday night football once in 20 years!! Frankly, I believe he saved this franchise. Sure Josh Allen was a huge reason for this turnaround. But who can say for sure that if Josh was under the guidance of likes of walking joke Rex Ryan, Doug Marrone, Dick Jauron, etc. he doesn't end up like Josh Rosen, or Sam Darnold? Were lucky to have McD.... However if he can't get the Bills to the SB over the next two years, he has reached he peak, and would need to go... He deserves that chance.     

1 hour ago, Governor said:

You think if the Bills continue to go 13-3, continue to win the division, Josh is leaving 2 years into a 6 year contract (how, even?) because of how we lose in the playoffs?

What are some of yall smoking?

4 hours ago, folz said:

Falling short of a Super Bowl appearance does not automatically equate to inadequacies or diminish the chances of that coach making a Super Bowl in the future. But the fact that only 21 guys have ever done it points to both how difficult it actually is to do, and to the slim chances of just automatically finding someone else who can do it (if we moved on from McDermott).

Well thought out post. 

On 3/2/2023 at 5:00 PM, Chaos said:

Your response is kind of simple minded. Not shocking.  The debate around Bills coaching is a hot button issue for fans. I can't imagine I could have posted the question in a more neutral manner. No person could legitimately argue that McDermott is not a competent NFL head coach. He obviously is. This is also a completely independent variable of whether or not he has met expectations.   BTW , are you going to stop your apparent persona vendetta against me? 

Then there’s this little thing called crusading

• Vomit 1

Fact is, McDermott is actually Murdaugh.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/03/alex-murdaugh-shaves-head-for-latest-mugshot-after-double-life-sentence/

5 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

"winning is the most important thing in my life after breathing" - the wise words of John Lennon, I believe.

No, that's those are words of George Steinbrenner, just look it up.

Fans desperate for back to back winning seasons during the drought are now delusional in expecting multiple world championships because we have josh. Patriots fans, Steelers fans, Yankees fans and now bills fans. We were lovable losers not too long ago. Just another reason to miss the drought years

• Eyeroll 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:19 PM, Goin Breakdown said:

Josh is worlds better than Rivers but it doesn't mean McB can't screw this thing up. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.