TE? Darnell Washington

billvernsays

12 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Why not? If you can get a difference making TE why not grab one? Two TE offense can be dangerous as we saw with Gronk/Hernandez days in NE. I know people are banging the drum for a WR but what if we can get a TE that can move the chains instead? 

yes that one two punch of Gronk and Hernandez was a killer in the end. lol

what a sad tale to be honest. 

6 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I really think Gesicki is a nice TE.  I don’t know why Miami stopped using him under McDaniels.  I suppose that they thought it better to throw to Hill and Waddle.  I suspect Gesicki will get some nice offers.

No he isn't. He can't block for toffee. That is why McDaniel stopped using him. That offense requires an actual tight end. Not a big bodied slot receiver. 

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

And then dominated games in min. My point was we could have traded for him. 

We have a tight end capable of dominating games if we just remember to throw to him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Once again, why would we do this whenever we can just replace that blocking with an offense of lineman for much less

This would be a total waste of resources

I can honestly say that that presser is baseless Brandon Beane is not going to tell you what he wants to do before the draft and if you think that he’s going to do that then I got a bridge to sell you

This team is not going to draft a first round tide in right after they give that big deal to Dawson Knox not gonna happen get it out of your head

And you’re not the messenger you’re just posting nonsense

Is this not a discussion board? 

We have been complaining for almost 15 years that we passed on a blocking TE who was a physical mismatch in college and who showed glimpses in of being a receiving threat (Gronk) yet you’re so dismissive that this is a possibility because we paid Knox? 

Maybe to get the proper investment return out of Knox we need to have another guys who’s a threat and not just another Tackle who tips the defense off as to what we’re going to do. 

Im sure you don’t need me to explain how football works but the idea with the pick would be to force defenses to tip their hand 1st based on personal which would allow Josh and our offense to have the advantage pre snap. 

Out of all the players available at the end of the 1st DW has the highest ceiling and a pretty decent floor based on his blocking ability and physicality. 

Beane draft athleticism in the 1st round ( Josh Allen, Edmunds, Oliver Elam) 

I think this is worth a discussion. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Based on Beane’s PC yesterday I’m thinking we may be considering the TE from Georgia, Darnell Washington.

He was saying to get playmakers and match up guys in the 1st round that make defenses second guess their personal.

Darnell Would do this for us and he’s a blocking stud in both the run game and passing game. 

I bring it up because I haven’t seen him projected to us at all and he may be someone we haven’t discussed much and overlooked but after thinking about it I think he would look great in our offense allowing Knox to be more of a receiving TE and steam stretcher like Ertz was in his prime. 

this would be a welcome change.  As long as the guy we draft can make an impact and help Josh THIS YEAR, I'm all for it.  

14 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What?  Hock was picked before the Bills took Oliver.  And Hock was so good Detroit traded him.

Detroit misused Hock.  Hock was on fire for Minn.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Once again, why would we do this whenever we can just replace that blocking with an offense of lineman for much less

This would be a total waste of resources

I can honestly say that that presser is baseless Brandon Beane is not going to tell you what he wants to do before the draft and if you think that he’s going to do that then I got a bridge to sell you

This team is not going to draft a first round tide in right after they give that big deal to Dawson Knox not gonna happen get it out of your head

And you’re not the messenger you’re just posting nonsense

I agree that you would also add an offensive lineman in the draft or FA. Maybe the guy in Baltimore. 

Edited by starrymessenger

Knox hasn't been consistent, but he's for sure shown big play ability.

the problem is one guy is not a TE room.  i don't know about what round to pick who in, but adding talent to TE is a pretty good risk reward for our O.

i think we have our star RB now w cook and can back him up w whoever, but we have a team running an E-P offense that basically can't line up in two tight end sets.  that's terribly limiting especially since we have such poor blocking and until middle of last season, running (w backs).

lowering the level of difficulty on O for josh would make the game look unfair at times, i say we do it.

23 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As someone who watches a LOT of UGA football, Washington is neither a 1st round talent, nor a playmaker.

I'd project him to us in the 3rd or later, and that would be a great grab. But definitely not a 1st and not even a 2nd.

Would love to get him in 3rd, but someone will get him in round 2.

I really really really like Knox. Great dude who has gone through a ton. And he is going to be on the top for a while. But will he ever be a dominant TE? Because you know what would be awesome for the Bills to have one day? A legit dominant TE who defenses have to game plan for. Have we ever had a legit top TE? Think about all the teams that have won SBs wirh dominant TEs. I’d argue that a legit awesome TE might be more important than a receiver. We always neglect that position. I just want a monster for Allen to throw to and csn bully d backs.

side note, that Georgia TE room is so filthy. Maybe the greatest collection of college TEs ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We have a tight end capable of dominating games if we just remember to throw to him.

In 56 games Knox has 1 game of 100 yards. He has more games with 0 yards (3) and 22 games with under 20 yards. Only 5 games with 5 receptions. 

Even in college in 18 games, he had 0 games of 100 yards.

Not bashing Knox. I like him but he has never shown he can "dominate games". He is a good solid TE but the jury is still out in many ways. He disappears and still has a lot of drops. If it weren't for the flashy play here and there people would be asking for an upgrade. 

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

In 56 games Knox has 1 game of 100 yards. He has more games with 0 yards (3) and 22 games with under 20 yards. Only 5 games with 5 receptions. 

Even in college in 18 games, he had 0 games of 100 yards.

Not bashing Knox. I like him but he has never shown he can "dominate games". He is a good solid TE but the jury is still out in many ways. He disappears and still has a lot of drops. If it weren't for the flashy play here and there people would be asking for an upgrade. 

Well in fairness they literally never threw him the ball at Ole Miss.

3 hours ago, colin said:

Knox hasn't been consistent, but he's for sure shown big play ability.

the problem is one guy is not a TE room.  i don't know about what round to pick who in, but adding talent to TE is a pretty good risk reward for our O.

i think we have our star RB now w cook and can back him up w whoever, but we have a team running an E-P offense that basically can't line up in two tight end sets.  that's terribly limiting especially since we have such poor blocking and until middle of last season, running (w backs).

lowering the level of difficulty on O for josh would make the game look unfair at times, i say we do it.

Looker--Looker here comes the Cooker. Don't know if you remember that line but this Cook isn't as big & durable as Cookie & he going to need a running mate not just a backup.

20 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We just gave a mega contract to a tight end that we don’t even use let’s start there

It's another reason I want to see the OL fixed.  Knox needs to get out on more routes instead of blocking too much of the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's another reason I want to see the OL fixed.  Knox needs to get out on more routes instead of blocking too much of the time.

If we aren't seeing the value at O-Line or WR I think we'll go TE. It would allow Knox to go on more routes and effectively make are Our O-Line better at the same time . D Washington > Knox at blocking  right now and can be a matchup challenge in the RedZone.

Our offense had no issues moving the ball last year but we struggled at times in the redzone. I think this is where Beane looks to help out our team. If O'Cyrus Torrence is there that who I want but I'm warming to the idea of a Top TE prospect to pair with Knox.  

31 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

If we aren't seeing the value at O-Line or WR I think we'll go TE. It would allow Knox to go on more routes and effectively make are Our O-Line better at the same time . D Washington > Knox at blocking  right now and can be a matchup challenge in the RedZone.

Our offense had no issues moving the ball last year but we struggled at times in the redzone. I think this is where Beane looks to help out our team. If O'Cyrus Torrence is there that who I want but I'm warming to the idea of a Top TE prospect to pair with Knox.  

I'm not a fan of Day 1 TEs.  Historically it's a tough position to judge in the draft.

I am a believer that it's just as much about the offensive scheme to make a good TE as anything.

Every year there is all this talk about "elite" TEs in the draft and at best you typically get a guy just above the norm in the league.

When a team does get a 1st round TE, they feel they have to force the ball to him to justify the pick.  Often, I feel they are not that much better

than a guy picked latter.  But that's just me.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:05 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

As someone who watches a LOT of UGA football, Washington is neither a 1st round talent, nor a playmaker.

I'd project him to us in the 3rd or later, and that would be a great grab. But definitely not a 1st and not even a 2nd.

Lots of chatter that he'll run very well and work out well and with his size could go late 1st, despite the lack of production in college

11 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

this would be a welcome change.  As long as the guy we draft can make an impact and help Josh THIS YEAR, I'm all for it.  

Detroit misused Hock.  Hock was on fire for Minn.  

this is why im not on board.  its a hard position on the rookies to develop. contrast that to the way receivers been hitting the ground running lately, or the more reliable pick on OL. heck, most TE's arent even doing much until their 3rd year let alone rookie. i get the idea, we just dont have the luxury of a low impact 1st rder

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2023 at 4:00 AM, billvernsays said:

Based on Beane’s PC yesterday I’m thinking we may be considering the TE from Georgia, Darnell Washington.

He was saying to get playmakers and match up guys in the 1st round that make defenses second guess their personal.

Darnell Would do this for us and he’s a blocking stud in both the run game and passing game. 

I bring it up because I haven’t seen him projected to us at all and he may be someone we haven’t discussed much and overlooked but after thinking about it I think he would look great in our offense allowing Knox to be more of a receiving TE and steam stretcher like Ertz was in his prime. 

"We'll look at various ways to bring in playmakers." Nothing about the first.

"We'll always look, whether it's free agency or the draft to add guys who are very good with the ball in their hand."

He didn't say what you thought he did. He didn't talk about what he'd do in the first round.

My guess, TE in the first would be somewhere around a 1% chance. Not completely impossible, but damn close. But I would guess they'd pick one up somewhere, FA or draft. They've brought one in the last three years, and not one made the roster. They want one, but how much are they willing to spend in resources?

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.