TE? Darnell Washington

billvernsays

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Could have had TJ Hock and not needed to use an early draft pick or free agency.

Probably could’ve had him over Oliver in that draft too 

But even though I’d prefer to take an O lineman round one like John Michael Schmitz, I’m warming up to this idea of one of these stud TEs like Kincaid or Mayer

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As someone who watches a LOT of UGA football, Washington is neither a 1st round talent, nor a playmaker.

I'd project him to us in the 3rd or later, and that would be a great grab. But definitely not a 1st and not even a 2nd.

Bowers though?  Savage!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I said it once and I’ll say it again if I’m drafting Darnell Washington I’m drafting him as a LT and no I’m not joking. As for TEs I can def see it as a possibility at 27. There will be a really good value player there and that guy can affect the run and pass game. 

Dorsey also loves 12 personnel. I just don’t see Washington as that guy 

Bills need to add a decent TE to the roster. I’m not suggesting using a first round pick or anything like that, but there has to be someone on the roster who can play respectably if Knox gets dinged. The drop off right now is immense. It would also allow the Bills to use 12 personnel if they could get a favorable match up. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What?  Hock was picked before the Bills took Oliver.  And Hock was so good Detroit traded him.

True he was picked right before Oliver but Detroit didn’t want to pay him that’s why he was traded. Hockenson is a top 5 TE in the league and they probably should’ve kept him but because Campbell is a “TE guru” who played TE in the league he probably thinks he can develop a cheaper asset and Detroit already has a plethora of other options for Goff to throw to. 

But man did I want hockenson bad in that draft 

4 hours ago, HT02 said:

PFF.com has Washington as the #4 TE in the draft and going early on day 2 so likely a second round pick.

I would like to upgrade the TE position what do you gentlemen think of Mike Gesicki?  He was a pretty solid threat in the passing game before the new coaching staff came in; he was an after-thought for Miami this year but I think he could be an inexpensive 1 year try-out and would be a big improvement in the passing game over the current TEs.

I really think Gesicki is a nice TE.  I don’t know why Miami stopped using him under McDaniels.  I suppose that they thought it better to throw to Hill and Waddle.  I suspect Gesicki will get some nice offers.

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to TE? Darnell Washington
11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I really think Gesicki is a nice TE.  I don’t know why Miami stopped using him under McDaniels.  I suppose that they thought it better to throw to Hill and Waddle.  I suspect Gesicki will get some nice offers.

They need a blocking TE which not Gesicki's strength. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Based on Beane’s PC yesterday I’m thinking we may be considering the TE from Georgia, Darnell Washington.

He was saying to get playmakers and match up guys in the 1st round that make defenses second guess their personal.

Darnell Would do this for us and he’s a blocking stud in both the run game and passing game. 

I bring it up because I haven’t seen him projected to us at all and he may be someone we haven’t discussed much and overlooked but after thinking about it I think he would look great in our offense allowing Knox to be more of a receiving TE and steam stretcher like Ertz was in his prime. 

Stop just stop

6 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

With the needs that we have in plenty of other places, we are not drafting a TE in the 1st round

I think most would agree...

I did not have TE on the radar at all, but I have to admit after hearing the Combine presser/interviews by Beane, the main take-away I got was they really like the TE's...The talk about match-up's, and adding another weapon that way...It definitely caught me a little off-guard...There is an outside chance no TE's go in the top 26...Outside...There is a decent chance one of the top 2 will be there at 27. Especially if the run is at WR and O-line. I still think it's a longshot. But I see clearly what their explanation would be if they went that route. B-)

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Stop just stop

Don’t shoot the messenger but you can’t objectively listen to that presser and say that this post is baseless. Beane seems to love the TEs this year and I can see how it may help us. 

Two TEs on the field takes teams out of that Cover 2 shell. Gives us more ways to win. 

I’m a hopeless optimist (been a Bills fan since 1990) I’m trying to talk myself into this not being the end of the world if it happens. 

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As someone who watches a LOT of UGA football, Washington is neither a 1st round talent, nor a playmaker.

I'd project him to us in the 3rd or later, and that would be a great grab. But definitely not a 1st and not even a 2nd.

My guess is that he goes in the second round or early third but if he's there for us in the late third, depending on who exactly we have chosen in the first two rounds, I'd be good with him. He's a tremendous blocker and while he hasn't been used much in the passing game he's a nightmarish mismatch especially if he can hit the seams, as some observers say he can. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We just gave a mega contract to a tight end that we don’t even use let’s start there

Draft an outstanding blocking TE (who btw I think can probably surprise as a weapon) and maybe Knox gets to run more routes. I assume that partly accounts for Beane's apparent interest. 

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Draft an outstanding blocking TE (who btw I think can probably surprise as a weapon) and maybe Knox gets to run more routes. I assume that partly accounts for Beane's apparent interest. 

Once again, why would we do this whenever we can just replace that blocking with an offense of lineman for much less

This would be a total waste of resources

2 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but you can’t objectively listen to that presser and say that this post is baseless. Beane seems to love the TEs this year and I can see how it may help us. 

Two TEs on the field takes teams out of that Cover 2 shell. Gives us more ways to win. 

I’m a hopeless optimist (been a Bills fan since 1990) I’m trying to talk myself into this not being the end of the world if it happens. 

I can honestly say that that presser is baseless Brandon Beane is not going to tell you what he wants to do before the draft and if you think that he’s going to do that then I got a bridge to sell you

This team is not going to draft a first round tide in right after they give that big deal to Dawson Knox not gonna happen get it out of your head

And you’re not the messenger you’re just posting nonsense

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.