TE? Darnell Washington

billvernsays

Based on Beane’s PC yesterday I’m thinking we may be considering the TE from Georgia, Darnell Washington.

He was saying to get playmakers and match up guys in the 1st round that make defenses second guess their personal.

Darnell Would do this for us and he’s a blocking stud in both the run game and passing game. 

I bring it up because I haven’t seen him projected to us at all and he may be someone we haven’t discussed much and overlooked but after thinking about it I think he would look great in our offense allowing Knox to be more of a receiving TE and steam stretcher like Ertz was in his prime. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

Based on Beane’s PC yesterday I’m thinking we may be considering the TE from Georgia, Darnell Washington.

He was saying to get playmakers and match up guys in the 1st round that make defenses second guess their personal.

Darnell Would do this for us and he’s a blocking stud in both the run game and passing game. 

I bring it up because I haven’t seen him projected to us at all and he may be someone we haven’t discussed much and overlooked but after thinking about it I think he would look great in our offense allowing Knox to be more of a receiving TE and steam stretcher like Ertz was in his prime. 

As someone who watches a LOT of UGA football, Washington is neither a 1st round talent, nor a playmaker.

I'd project him to us in the 3rd or later, and that would be a great grab. But definitely not a 1st and not even a 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

With the needs that we have in plenty of other places, we are not drafting a TE in the 1st round

Why not? If you can get a difference making TE why not grab one? Two TE offense can be dangerous as we saw with Gronk/Hernandez days in NE. I know people are banging the drum for a WR but what if we can get a TE that can move the chains instead? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As someone who watches a LOT of UGA football, Washington is neither a 1st round talent, nor a playmaker.

Agree.  He is a good blocking tight end with some as yet unrealised potential as a receiver. A 1st round pick on him would be mad. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd project him to us in the 3rd or later, and that would be a great grab. But definitely not a 1st and not even a 2nd.

If he’s there for our second round pick I wouldn’t hesitate to Draft Washington. He’s going to be a better pro than college player. Would love that pick @ 57. But there’s TE’s to be had in every round honestly 

• Dislike 2

26 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

Washington nah, but I think you are right that Beane is hinting towards a TE early in the draft. 

• Disagree 1

PFF.com has Washington as the #4 TE in the draft and going early on day 2 so likely a second round pick.

I would like to upgrade the TE position what do you gentlemen think of Mike Gesicki?  He was a pretty solid threat in the passing game before the new coaching staff came in; he was an after-thought for Miami this year but I think he could be an inexpensive 1 year try-out and would be a big improvement in the passing game over the current TEs.

4 minutes ago, HT02 said:

PFF.com has Washington as the #4 TE in the draft and going early on day 2 so likely a second round pick.

I would like to upgrade the TE position what do you gentlemen think of Mike Gesicki?  He was a pretty solid threat in the passing game before the new coaching staff came in; he was an after-thought for Miami this year but I think he could be an inexpensive 1 year try-out and would be a big improvement in the passing game over the current TEs.

That's a lot of TEs going early.  Wow.  As for Gesicki, I see him a TE in name only.  Not too sure that is what Beane is looking for.

@GunnerBillsays there is still some value in TEs in the 4th and 5th rounds.  Sounds like a spot Beane could be interested in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, HT02 said:

word on MG is big slot wr, doesn’t block or pass pro worth a damn 

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I have NOT watched a lot of UGA football, but I know that the Bills have a very good (and highly compensated) #1 TE in Dawson Knox.  The Bills also have many other priority needs:  interior OL, WR, Safety.  If they were to draft a TE in the 1st round, it would have to be a generational type talent.  Like a Kyle Pitts.  In my limited UGA football watching, I would stay that Brock Bowers is as good of a TE prospect as I have seen and a surefire 1st round talent.  I don't believe he's coming out this year.  I'm not familiar with Washington.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billvernsays said:

So basically you're saying we should trade for Ertz!!! We need to start a new 100 page Ertz thread STAT!!!!!!:wub:

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Could have had TJ Hock and not needed to use a early draft pick or free agency.

HockStrap would've been perfect:cry:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.