Lori Lightfoot loses in political embarrassment

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

Tell me you have no idea what’s going on with the Chicago mayoral election without saying you have no idea what’s going on with the Chicago mayoral election. 

Goose, do you live in Chicago?  Who do you think wins the runoff?  And will it be a positive change?

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Tell me you have no idea what’s going on with the Chicago mayoral election without saying you have no idea what’s going on with the Chicago mayoral election. 

ITs valid. the bail reform/prison reform/soft on crime policies of the last few years are seen as the reason the crime is rising and affecting the well to do folks.

Shoot, on Vallas's page the biggest statements are about fighting crime and removing the cuffs from the police.

Chuy photo opps with cory bush might have hurt him more than helped him.

but for real, its like no on on that ticket have actually worked or ran a business.

just failures and life time governement folks.

Edited by Chris farley

The biggest problem with Chicago is that it does not have a City Charter, which is the document that spells out the way a City government is supposed to operate:

https://www.discoursemagazine.com/politics/2022/10/14/the-importance-of-city-charters/

Without a charter, it pretty much allows the mayor to do whatever they want and bypass government committees, lawyers, etc. without oversight.

BTW here's the charter for Buffalo:

https://ecode360.com/13550986

42 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Goose, do you live in Chicago?  Who do you think wins the runoff?  And will it be a positive change?

Yup! I moved to Chicago a little over a decade ago. I think Johnson will be favored to win but Vallas will have a shot at the upset. Johnson's lead won't be prohibitive and turnout is going to be the major factor.

Any change from Lori is a positive change. Beyond that, hard to say. Chicago's biggest problems (gun violence, lack of investment, housing, etc) can't be solved solely by the mayor but instead require help from Springfield as well as states like Wisconsin and Indiana. 

Personally, I voted for Kam Buckner because I liked his ideas around fostering entrepreneurship, trade and vocational schools, funding neighborhoods and a post-COVID downtown with mixed use and more public spaces.

34 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

ITs valid. the bail reform/prison reform/soft on crime policies of the last few years are seen as the reason the crime is rising and affecting the well to do folks.

Shoot, on Vallas's page the biggest statements are about fighting crime and removing the cuffs from the police.

Chuy photo opps with cory bush might have hurt him more than helped him.

but for real, its like no on on that ticket have actually worked or ran a business.

just failures and life time governement folks.

Crime is the top issue in Chicago, but it's not the only issue and it's not why Lori lost. She lost because she alienated everyone. She spent her entire term yelling at everyone and claiming she had the biggest dick in Chicago. Even people who work for her don't like her.

If the theory that supporting the police / being tough on crime was the only issue in this race, Brandon Johnson wouldn't have made the runoff.

Chuy ran a pathetic and lethargic campaign. Lori was hitting him in the local media and he wasn't responding. I'm not sure he even wanted to win, his campaign was so bad. It had nothing to do with Cori Bush. 

Don't form your opinions on a local race from the national media. That goes double for Chicago where most of the national coverage is junk.

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

I wasn’t telling you anything, RiddlerGoose, I was just commenting on the message sent in the election.  

Agree, disagree, it’s largely irrelevant.  Crime seems to have been top of mind for lots of voters, including some I know, but maybe it’s that she liked thin crust pizza.  

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I wasn’t telling you anything, RiddlerGoose, I was just commenting on the message sent in the election.  

Agree, disagree, it’s largely irrelevant.  Crime seems to have been top of mind for lots of voters, including some I know, but maybe it’s that she liked thin crust pizza.  

The true Chicago style pizza is tavern style and it has a cracker thin crust. It’s cut into squares.

It has a cool history, but I’m not a fan. 

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Like (+1) 1

UNEXPECTEDLY! 

‘I’m a Black Woman in America:’ Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot Blames Election Loss on Racism, Sexism.

Chicago has been a Democrat-monopoly stronghold since 1931. The last time the city’s voters elected a Republican to be their mayor was 1927.

Almost a century later, Lightfoot calling her (now thankfully former) constituents sexists and racists is yet another reminder of how out of touch she was.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/im-a-black-woman-in-america-chicago-mayor-lori-lightfoot-blames-election-loss-on-racism-sexism/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

That Lightfoot lovers are hangin in there to this very minute, defending her charade, is almost comical, if it wasn’t so pathetic and damaging.

That it mirrors their obsessive, continued vilifying and broad stroke painting of the scoundrel Trumpites, they hemorrhage about and will do forever, is irrelevant to them.

They are incapable of self awareness as much, if not more, than those they seek to destroy.

Edited by I am the egg man

17 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

That Lightfoot lovers are hangin in there to this very minute, defending her charade, is almost comical, if it wasn’t so pathetic.

That it mirrors their obsessive, continued vilifying and broad stroke painting of the scoundrel Trumpites, they hemorrhage about and will do forever, is irrelevant to them.

They are incapable of self awareness as much, if not more, than those they seek to destroy.

Hard to understand who is still supporting her. What are they saying?

I don’t know anyone who voted for her this time around even though most people I know (including myself) voted for her in the runoff in 2019. 

2 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Hard to understand who is still supporting her. What are they saying?

I don’t know anyone who voted for her this time around even though most people I know (including myself) voted for her in the runoff in 2019. 

Are you glad she didn’t have another chance at Chicago?

14 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I mean, yeah. That's why I didn't vote for her. And it seems most of Chicago agreed with me.

Respect that.

Unfortunately, her ilk want to hide behind her social issue crusade as being foremost, rather than consider her City and societal demising ideology.

In their view, ruinous influence should only be applicable to her opposers.

Edited by I am the egg man

The problem with Lightfoot was that he didn’t do anything about crime.  In fact, he made it worse.  Add in Demented Biden’s failures and he never had a chance. What a mess.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1