Any Disc Golfers Among Us?

SinceThe70s

No.  It never looked interesting to me but literally was just having a conversation about disc golf with a guy at my gym a couple days ago and he was saying it's awesome.  He said he used to think the same thing about it sounding boring but then he got hooked.  I told him I would have to give it a shot now.  

8 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

No.  It never looked interesting to me but literally was just having a conversation about disc golf with a guy at my gym a couple days ago and he was saying it's awesome.  He said he used to think the same thing about it sounding boring but then he got hooked.  I told him I would have to give it a shot now.  

If you like chucking a frisbee give it a shot.  It has parallels to regular golf but is not as frustrating to me.  My boys (HS/college) will join me sometimes and when all the planets are in alignment wifey too. Whether it's with friends or family it's usually a fun few hours.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I've been chucking frisbees (and other discs) for the majority of my life. Got introduced to disc golf during the pandemic and have been playing more and more ever since.  Anyone else?

I have played a handful of times and it is pretty fun. I used to play quite a bit of ultimate frisbee back in the day and prefer it. But being a golfer, I like disc golf too.

I have a buddy who is a die hard. Goes out every morning to play and loves it. 

31 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Yes. I played for many years and became quite good. Shoulder and elbow problems ended it for me a couple of years ago. I do miss it.

That sucks. I'm not very good - it's more difficult than I would have thought. I have times when my shoulder hurts and I'll shut it down. If it ever gets really bad I'd probably try throwing lefty.

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have played a handful of times and it is pretty fun. I used to play quite a bit of ultimate frisbee back in the day and prefer it. But being a golfer, I like disc golf too.

I have a buddy who is a die hard. Goes out every morning to play and loves it. 

I have a group that plays pretty much every Saturday and Sunday. That's too much for me, I try to join them either Saturday or Sunday depending on what else is going on.

• Like (+1) 1

a lot of the parks around here have them.  i've never played but it does look like fun, and it's another good reason to be outside.  i think they had the national disc gold championships in rochester years ago, so i know it's a thing here.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You have to bring 1/2 ounce of weed to play this game no?

Yes.

I played for the first time this past summer, and I’ll admit I had a lot of fun.  I met a friend up at Sugarbush ski resort and took the gondola to the summit where there was a course built into the trails.  I didn’t know there were different discs for different types of “throws.”  I pretty much sucked at it, but would definitely play again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes.

I played for the first time this past summer, and I’ll admit I had a lot of fun.  I met a friend up at Sugarbush ski resort and took the gondola to the summit where there was a course built into the trails.  I didn’t know there were different discs for different types of “throws.”  I pretty much sucked at it, but would definitely play again.

The first time I played I showed up with my frisbee and my brother-in-law shook his head and laughed. He must have had at least 20-30 disks - looked like he was dealing out of the trunk of his car.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

A guy at work does it... Disc golf looks interesting, big business too. Got all kinds of equipment.  

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The first time I played I showed up with my frisbee and my brother-in-law shook his head and laughed. He must have had at least 20-30 disks - looked like he was dealing out of the trunk of his car.

😆... That's what I thought at first. 

A friend of mine plays professionally. He is sponsored by manufacturing and athletic companies. Nothing major, just the makers of the disc, gets free gear and small stipends and bonuses for placing in tournaments. He travels all over the US for contests.

Only time I ever played was at his bachelor party. I was awful. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.