So Who will our next DC be? Tracker Links

PrimeTime101

Does anyone else see this as the same type of move McCarthy made in Dallas? McCarthy helps to push out Kellen Moore so he could call the plays. McDermott and Frazier come to the agreement of Frazier "stepping away for a year" so he can call the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Too bad, he is on the rise.

I was surprised when he didn't get the head coach job at Wisconsin.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Curious to see if he reaches out to Manny Diaz, who is his close buddy. 

Sean Desai is an interesting name, though it looks like he may wind up in Philly. He’s a Fangio guy so those 4-3 under concepts may meld. 

I like the Jim Leonard idea, though the defense would probably change a bit. 

Chris Shula (his uncle is on staff) is starting to become a bit of a hot name in the league, but he shouldn’t jump Butler or Babich imo.

Kris Richard is another guy who would be interesting. 

Manny Diaz authored two of the worst defensive performances in college football history...........once with Texas where they gave up like 500 yards on the ground and Mack Brown had to fire him.    And then Mack Brown put 500 yards rushing on Manny and the Hurricanes at Carolina 3 seasons ago.     It's hard to fathom him being an NFL DC.

Leonhard is my guy.........he's been very good with very modest talent at Wisconsin.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Why ???

So he can run down the sideline like a chicken with his head cut off and waste timeouts while killing our drive stopping Defensive plays…..repeatedly 🤬🤬🤬🤬

When he took over playing calling for Frazier mid-game few years back same defense looked totally different against the Chargers after getting steamrolled in the first half. Who best to call plays other than McDermott. Put onus on him to turn things around while promoting someone younger on the staff like the LB coach who people are high on to run things during the week. Defense doesn't have to be great but they have to be able to slow down some of the teams with franchise QBs. 

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Last name I will throw out there, Brendan Daley the linebackers coach from the Chiefs. He was brought into the NFL as a member of Leslie Frazier’s staff in Minnesota, coached on Belichick’s staff for the Patriots and for the Rams and Chiefs under Steve Spagnolo. He is the type of guy with experience under a number of different big time regimes defensive systems who could have great potential as a DC. He also has 4 Super Bowl rings. 

You don’t win championships with rookie DC’s in the NFL. Look it up. 

I'm not against McDermott calling the defensive plays in principle, but I am concerned about it distracting him from his HC duties/CEO on game day role.  I do recall him taking over from Frazier a few years ago and the defense improved significantly.  I have not heard of it happening since then, but perhaps it should have happened during playoff games....

I hope we get a bit more of a risk-taker.  Press the receivers at the line - don't play off of them.  Be willing to give up a big play once in awhile so you can make more of them and get more impact plays on defense.

I know New England used the "bend, don't break" thing for years successfully.  But I'm just not a fan.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Someone who likes to attack instead of sitting in prevent all day watching people run by you and balls sailing over your head…. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

I think Brian Flores would be a good DC. Whether the Bills core defensive players would agree is unknown. He’s got a rep as an old school, military disciplinarian. That’s polar opposite from Frazier. I’m anxious to see Sean’s selection.

The Vikings have already hired him to be their DC.

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

I'm not against McDermott calling the defensive plays in principle, but I am concerned about it distracting him from his HC duties/CEO on game day role. 

McD can still clap & pat guys on the back in between calling defensive plays.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.