Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

well, i expect two things.

1, i expect the new DC to be essentially an avatar of McD.  im thinking he sees how his former mentor and current despised rival Reid in KC has an avatar of himself but controls the O, and if you can't beat em join em.

2  I expect the D to be much more dynamic and multiple.  it might not be as good as last year given that i expect to lose some talent, but i think we will see more meaning changes on an opponent to opponent basis.

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course McDermott wanted Leslie to stay. McDermott watches the film and understands what he is seeing. He knows how much of the blame really belongs with Leslie Frazier and it is not a ton. 

If they wanted Frazier back , they would have tendered a contract extension a while back....and if they did, Leslie could of still said he needs to take a year off....but they did not....so there's that.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

100% believe this was Leslie's decision.

We'll, LOL, OK.  

Maybe it should've been McD's decision.

Then going for Al Holcomb, again, from Carolina, and their marvelous defense under him.  LOL

It's becoming clear that McD's DCs are little more than a face.

• Disagree 1

Just now, nosejob said:

If they wanted Frazier back , they would have tendered a contract extension a while back....and if they did, Leslie could of still said he needs to take a year off....but they did not....so there's that.

I think this did happen a little while ago (at least as in a week or two). 

15 minutes ago, General Soreness said:

But did Sean get head coaching offers after 2013?

Point is McD benefited from Newton’s MVP season and the bright spotlight of the Super Bowl, which is how things work of course.

At the time, teams could block coordinators from interviewing while they were still in the playoffs.

Since hiring teams wanted to get their staff settled, especially for HC, that meant the number of coordinators from Superbowl teams hired as HC was limited.

1 minute ago, nosejob said:

Or they offered one back then and he said no and they only announced it now.

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

This is a crucial year for McD. Let him call the plays.

This may be a good thing. Maybe he will really want to prove something.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Or they offered one back then and he said no and they only announced it now.

Did they announce having given a contract offer? Nope

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this did happen a little while ago (at least as in a week or two). 

I listened to beane's presser today and am and have been listening to WGR. Have not even heard a hint of this yet. McD will be on soon.

This is all very strange.   It is extremely rare for a DC or OC to request from management to take a year off, that just doesn't make sense.

I don't believe he was forced out either, he wouldn't just take a year off while being forced out, he'd want to coach elsewhere and there would be plenty of suitors.

My suspicions are that there were disagreements between the two and in the process Frazier requested a year off understanding that this was the end of his days as DC.  

2 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I listened to beane's presser today and am and have been listening to WGR. Have not even heard a hint of this yet. McD will be on soon.

I am basing it on the fact that even the staffing changes we know were decided weeks ago were only formally announced today. And I did think Beane sounded like this had been a process. Didn't suddenly happen this weekend.

29 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They didn’t though. They scored 14 points in the first Q and 13 the rest of the way.

The game was winnable if the offense showed up. 

The whole team did not show up.  But the defense was manhandled on the first two drives.  That set the tempo.  Cinci had receivers wide open all over the field.  And they ran the ball at will up the middle.  You could tell right away we were not ready to compete against the Bengals.  That game and to a lesser degree, the Miami game the week before (even though we won) was a total failure by the organization.  They need to own it, and do WHATEVER it takes to be a better overall team in all facets next season.  There is nothing we can not improve on from our play in the 2022 season.  It is not so much our record.  Because we will have a very difficult schedule.  But more are we just nasty to play against.  And can we impose our will on our opponents on offense defense and special teams whenever we need to?

And lets not leave out coaching.  It has to be much better against the best teams, especially come playoff time.  If McDermott and crew can not show that this season.  Time for a change after 2023.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.