Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Butler is already the defensive pass game coordinator. They probably make Babich or Holcomb defensive run game coordinator and McDeromott calls the plays. 

I don’t love the head coach calling plays because it distracts from the in game decision making, which he is already pretty bad at. But I think this is desperation mode a bit. If McDermott himself can’t do a better job getting the defense going, he really doesn’t deserve the job. 

I'd be SHOCKED if McD took over play calling. I dont think that is the type of HC he is trying to be here. He wants to be more of the Team CEO who can step in when/where needed, but allows his direct reports to handle the bulk of it.

• Agree 1

Just now, Billz4ever said:

Cincy scored TDs on their first two drives and made it look too easy. 14-0 hole right off the bat.  That set the tone for the entire game.

They let their foot off the gas in the second half.  They could've easily put up 40 if they had to.

The Eagles scored a TD to open the Superbowl.  Didn't stop the Chiefs from answering right back.

Three teams gave up more than 27 points in the playoffs and won.  No winning team scored fewer than 19.

Here's every Bills possession in the divisional round:

Punt (3 and out)

Punt (3 and out)

TD

Punt

FG

Punt (3 and out)

Turnover on downs

Interception

The defensive showing wasn't great, but it's about what you'd expect to give up against the Bengals.  Teams scored 27+ points 13 times in the playoffs.  Only one scored fewer than 10.

• Like (+1) 1

He's Buffalo's version of Eric Bienemey. Everybody talks highly about how they're the next hot commodity as a future HC but when the openings surface all you hear are crickets. 

Health wise I hope he's ok but I'm glad he's gone. His in game adjustments and playcalling has been God awful. His bend not break approach just doesn't work in the postseason.

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

No.  We had a chance to double dip and actually lead coming out of the half.

o repeatedly failed scoring 10 points.

The Bills were playing against backups at 3 out of 5 spots on the O-line.  Cincy clearly took their foot off the gas and just pounded the rock, which the Bills couldn't stop either. They could've easily hung 40 if they needed to.

And it's no secret out O-line sucks, so was it really a big surprise our offense didn't do anything? Doesn't change the fact our defense couldn't stop anything.

1 hour ago, dancing_joker said:

About Bieniemy or Frazier? I guess I’ll go both. Reid stood in front of all the owners at a meeting asking why hasn’t he been given a shot at being a head coach. And made it known that Bieniemy wasn’t retained in the hopes that he could spread his wings to one day become one. 

Now you have Frazier…who decides he’s going to “take a year off” and return in 2024. The bills have already hired other coaches to fulfill his duties. Is the plan for the bills to just “get by” while Frazier is out doing whatever? Sounds like a real Super Bowl contending team. If health issues caused him to step aside, that’s a serious gaffe by the bills pr team. But hey they thought Matt Azaria’s problems were okay before that leaked too. Think about the memo that Kim Pegula wrote a couple years ago about needing to maintain their “lifestyle” and fired a bunch of people…why do I need to pay Leslie Frazier a million plus dollars if I already have people in place that are capable? The whole thing is a joke.

Reid respected Bieniemy so much that he kept giving him 1 year contracts and trying to push him out the door. Actions speak louder than words. And there were numerous reports and speculation about arguments/falling out’s with Reid/Bieniemy/the offense before he got those two 1yr contract in a row.

I don’t think the plan is to “just get by” until Frazier comes back. His leaving doesn’t seem to be health related either. I don’t think we will see Frazier back as DC of Buffalo. I think this was him being fired. My guess is he was probably looking for another DC role behind the scenes and didn’t find one.

You asked in another post if this is what a team trying to win a super bowl would do and my answer would be “yes”. It seems they finally see the defensive failures in the playoffs as something that needs to be fixed.

Andy Reid moved on from his long time DC Bob Sutton (his DC for 6 years) in 2018 because he realized the defense was a limiting factor in the playoffs. It worked out pretty well for them.

I think most of us felt Frazier was hurting the bills in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Both sides of the ball failed hard that game. I'd say the Offense failed harder. That's all.

The offense failed harder when Cincy could've easily hung 40 on us?

In what aspect do you consider the defense played anything close to acceptable? They couldn't stop the run or the pass.

The mindset that the offense failed harder when the defense couldn't stop anything against a majority backup O-line is an odd take.

After listening to Beane’s presser, I think you all can put to rest the health speculations. It was clear to me this decision was made in the best interest of the Bills - even though they’re painting it as “Frazier wants time off.” The team wants to go in a different direction and Beane didn’t rule out McD calling the plays; which is exactly what I said should happen before all this went down. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Butler is already the defensive pass game coordinator. They probably make Babich or Holcomb defensive run game coordinator and McDeromott calls the plays. 

I don’t love the head coach calling plays because it distracts from the in game decision making, which he is already pretty bad at. But I think this is desperation mode a bit. If McDermott himself can’t do a better job getting the defense going, he really doesn’t deserve the job. 

I agree with that last paragraph up to a point.  McD is the Head Coach.  Let's treat him as that.  Put a real DC in place (I think Holcomb called plays in the past?), and let's see if that makes him a better HC who has to run the offense and defense.  If he can't, then it's time to look elsewhere.  Coordinator and HC are vastly different roles, as you point out.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He's Buffalo's version of Eric Bienemey. Everybody talks highly about how they're the next hot commodity as a future HC but when the openings surface all you hear are crickets. 

Health wise I hope he's ok but I'm glad he's gone. His in game adjustments and playcalling has been God awful. His bend not break approach just doesn't work in the postseason.

Huh? Frazier already was a head coach for multiple years and made the playoffs one year with Christian Ponder at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The defense has been great in the regular season… and been very bad(at times historically bad) in the post season under Leslie. No ill will. But I’m glad he’s not going to be back. The goal is the SB. Unacceptable playoff performances considering the massive investment on that side of the ball.

The reason its been worse in the playoffs is because they are playing the best of the best offenses, and in this day and age of football a good defense is not going to stop a good offense.   The Bills need to work on making their offense better than the Chiefs, not trying to stop them with defense.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

After listening to Beane’s presser, I think you all can put to rest the health speculations. It was clear to me this decision was made in the best interest of the Bills - even though they’re painting it as “Frazier wants time off.” The team wants to go in a different direction and Beane didn’t rule out McD calling the plays; which is exactly what I said should happen before all this went down. 

I mean he literally said Frazier would be the DC in 2023 if he wanted to be. I suspect Leslie is as hurt by what happened in the playoffs as anybody. 

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

The Eagles scored a TD to open the Superbowl.  Didn't stop the Chiefs from answering right back.

Three teams gave up more than 27 points in the playoffs and won.  No winning team scored fewer than 19.

Here's every Bills possession in the divisional round:

Punt (3 and out)

Punt (3 and out)

TD

Punt

FG

Punt (3 and out)

Turnover on downs

Interception

The defensive showing wasn't great, but it's about what you'd expect to give up against the Bengals.  Teams scored 27+ points 13 times in the playoffs.  Only one scored fewer than 10.

What does Eagles vs Chiefs have to do with how bad our D got blown off the ball vs Cincy?

But since you brought it up, the Chiefs had 14 points in the first half and only 7 of which were by the offense.

Cincy was up 14-0 after their first 2 possessions against us and that set the tone for the game.  Bills players are on record saying that Cincy going up 14-0 and making it look easy in the process took the wind out of their sails.

Cincy could've scored 40 that game without breaking a sweat.  They clearly let their foot off the gas.

Edited by Billz4ever

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.