Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

Just now, John from Riverside said:

There is nothing to say that that would happen

You're absolutely right, but like they say "The definition of madness is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

I don't think Frazier was horrible, but a change is needed. He never performed well in the post-season.  Our post-season success is Allen going superman on teams, and herculean efforts by individual players (Taron Johnson's 98 yard pick six).

Frazier turtled in the big moments. I feel like we need somebody a bit more bold.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

This board is hilarious.   Guy gets his team in the top 10 for all but one year he is here and you guys automatically think the next guy will be better.   Grass isnt always greener.  

That's not it for me.  But our D has collapsed in the playoffs consistently.  I'm not saying that entirely on Frazier, and we have faced great offenses - but I'm more interested to find out if someone else CAN be better, than possibly seeing more of the same year in & year out.

This might be a smart move by Frazier.  Like it or not, true or false, there's a belief that deficiencies in play calling and scheme that have resulted in some big failures are on Leslie.  So he takes a year off.  Now we'll find out if its Leslie or Sean.  If the Bills defense continues to make these scheme and play calling gaffes with a new coordinator then we can be pretty sure its on McDermott.  And Frazier can go into next season looking for work and rightly claim its not on him.  The danger is the Bills improve in those areas and it is him. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

This board is hilarious.   Guy gets his team in the top 10 for all but one year he is here and you guys automatically think the next guy will be better.   Grass isnt always greener.  

He may have fielded a consistently good defense on the field during the regular season but they've also consistently fallen flat against top caliber teams in post season.   Fans here want someone who might get us over that peak isntead of always 10ft short of the summit.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Nope. Because the new DC might not be able to stop the rest of the league. 

Yes, because the entire team will be so depressed that Leslie is gone they won’t be able to play anymore…

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is really weird timing, and not too long after Chad Hall decided to leave. What is going on with the coaching staff?

https://www.king5.com/article/sports/nfl/seahawks/seahawks-fire-offensive-coordinator-brian-schottenheimer/281-15c625cd-b3d6-4e1d-a4b3-76c1cb1da4b4#:~:text=The Seattle Seahawks fired offensive,%2C citing "philosophical differences."

Sometimes you need to shake things up even when things look good statistically. 

• Agree 1

Hope springs eternal!

Frazier has been a good coach/DC throughout his career. It has been no different in his time with the Bills.

But it was definitely time for a new DC. We need a scheme that compliments our offensive scheme more, and with all the turnover/changes to this year's defensive roster, it's the perfect time.

I wish Frazier the best, but defensive play calling has been such a HUGE problem as soon as we get to the playoffs every year for the past 3 seasons.

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Losing your 2 defensive captains and DC is a mighty big shake.

I hope it’s not health related. I hadn’t even really considered that until I saw it mentioned here.

Personally, I still think this was McDermott’s “classy” way of moving on from Frazier. When they say he intends to be back next season I think they mean as an NFL coach, not necessarily in Buffalo.

I think he may have been looking for another DC job behind the scenes and when all those roles were filled they moved to this “take a year off” thing.

well, whatever the reason he’s leaving I wish Frazier well! I thought it was time to move on. I thought he took us as far as he could. But I still feel bad for him. I’ve did a lot of good here and seems like a great man. Hope he’s able to find a DC role next year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Frazier won’t be back after the one year hiatus unless it’s in a senior analyst role. 

This was a nice way of we’re moving on but probably have an internal candidate they’re going to give the job to.  I hope it’s someone who wants to be more aggressive like Spagnuolo who gets crushed sometimes but always dials up the right one or two calls to get a stop when they need it

17 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I mean I get it because we have Super Bowl aspirations and the bar is set higher. But Frazier by every metric is better at his job than 90% of the world is at theirs. He obviously has flaws but what was he supposed to do this year? All the safety injuries, Miller, Tre White not being Tre yet, and spending high picks on d linemen who just might not be that good. 

easy thing in the world is to blame the coach. What if the talent isn’t really that good?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.