What was the one play that made you fall in love with the Buffalo Bills?

PrimeTime101

Curtis Brown off right tackle to go up 21-10 over the Steelers on the way to a 9-3 record in week 12 of the 1980 season. Pittsburgh was the defending Super Bowl champion and it felt like a changing of the guard to this then-6th grader, watching with my dad in Rochester. I still remember, 43 years later, him leaping up and signaling “touchdown” as Brown surged through the Steel Curtain to score…

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think that's kind of an odd question. I mean, maybe there are *some* people that became a fan of the team because of a single play. But I think most of us are fans because they were the local team, the team they were raised on, or simply liking players or play style.

I think a better question would be what's your favorite Bills plays and/or what made you a fan? I don't think you're going to find many posters on this board that will point to a play being the thing that made them love this team.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

For me it was three plays.  I happened onto the Van Miller Saturday afternoon show, he had the head coach on (can't remember who) and they were reviewing the previous Sunday's game.  Van played three clips;

OJ to the right for 4 yards,

OJ to the left for 4 yards,

OJ up the middle for 2 yards and a first down. 

I have been following the Bills ever since.

There is no one play.

I was born to this.

9 hours ago, seattlebillsfan said:

Curtis Brown off right tackle to go up 21-10 over the Steelers on the way to a 9-3 record in week 12 of the 1980 season. Pittsburgh was the defending Super Bowl champion and it felt like a changing of the guard to this then-6th grader, watching with my dad in Rochester. I still remember, 43 years later, him leaping up and signaling “touchdown” as Brown surged through the Steel Curtain to score…

Curtis Brown top shelf where momma hides the cookies!

Wait... wrong dude

• Haha (+1) 1

I was a little kid and I recall seeing Don Beebe getting dumped on his head against the Browns. I dunno why that one stuck with me, but it always has. 

When I was little I picked my favorite teams based on uniform. First I liked the orange and black of the Bengals but then Joe Montana to John Taylor in SB24 bummed me out cause I wanted the "tiger guys" to win. 

After that I switched to the silver and black Raiders. Happened to be the same year they faced the Bills in the AFC Championship. By halftime I had retired my Raiders shirt and fully embraced the Bills. I think I always knew I was a Bills fan but as a little kid I wanted to go against the grain and have "my own team" because I knew all of the fam were Bills fans. But then it was just too awesome not to jump on the bandwagon when they decimated da Raidahs that one January day. 

This was the first game my dad took me to. I was 11 and we sat behind the end zone that saw the winning field goal, by Nick Mike-Mayer in Oooooooverrrrrtiiiiime! (Ooops Wrong sport)  Up to that point, I was watching Roger Staubach and Danny White lead the Cowboys on CBS in our basement every Sunday … I got rid of my Cowboys helmet after that. Ever since, I couldn’t help but love the Bills even through those 2-14 seasons.

Bills Shade Rams, 10-7, In Overtime - The Washington Post.pdf

I can't really narrow it down to one play. I became a fan in the 70's and the Bills were mostly terrible that decade. The first truly great moment would be the 80 opener and the 17-7 win over Miami. For a play that season I would say Nick Mike-Mayer kicking a game winning field goal in OT that gave the Bills a 10-7 win over the Rams at Rich Stadium and clinched a playoff spot that season. Other notable plays the hail mary to Roland Hooks that beat the Pats in the 81 season 20-17. Also, later that year in the WC game at Shea Stadium, Bill Simpson's INT at the goal line with seconds left preserving a 31-27 win over the Jets.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.