Sunday Throwback Football Bills @ Dophins ‘83

Chandler#81

18 minutes ago, Beast said:

Mike Mosley. I remember him actually being a pretty good kickoff returner for a short period of time.

Darryl Talley made a big play in this game…I just can’t remember what it was. 🤪

The sack. Pushed them back and made it 3rd and 24. Fins almost got the 1st... But had to attempt the longer kick in OT. Missed. In fact, Dolphins missed 2 OT kicks that would have won it. 

You figure... It's 1983... Bills haven't won in Orange Bowl since 1966! That's 17 tries in 17 years! And you thought "The Drought" and playing the Cheatriots was bad!

Anyway,  Marino's first game and the Bills owned him the rest of his career. He went to one SuperBowl, lost and never back again! By today's standards people would say he sucked. I guess he did. 

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty sure this was Fegy’s best game as a Bill. Great to see some of these players again! 
No team was ever another teams’ Beotch like the Bills were to Miami in the 70’s. Even though we’ve gotten the better of them since, I doubt I’ll live long enough to ever see the Head to Head record draw even…

🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

Bills went downhill after this game. Kay Stephenson replaced Chuck Knox that year and Dolphins rolled the Bills who were terrible until Kelly arrived.  I lived in Miami during those years and it was tough being a Bills fan. There was only a shocking victory over the Cowboys from what I remember of the mid 80s teams. My 5 year old son became a lifelong Dolphins fan during those years. Marino was a special QB and deserved better but never really had the supporting cast on offense or defense.

3 minutes ago, Dave in Avon Lake now said:

Bills went downhill after this game. Kay Stephenson replaced Chuck Knox that year and Dolphins rolled the Bills who were terrible until Kelly arrived.  I lived in Miami during those years and it was tough being a Bills fan. There was only a shocking victory over the Cowboys from what I remember of the mid 80s teams. My 5 year old son became a lifelong Dolphins fan during those years. Marino was a special QB and deserved better but never really had the supporting cast on offense or defense.

You could easily be talking about #17.

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Pretty sure this was Fegy’s best game as a Bill. Great to see some of these players again! 
No team was ever another teams’ Beotch like the Bills were to Miami in the 70’s. Even though we’ve gotten the better of them since, I doubt I’ll live long enough to ever see the Head to Head record draw even…

🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The Dolphins are 61-52 vs the Bills all time regular season. Hang in there Chandler ...🤞😃

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The sack. Pushed them back and made it 3rd and 24. Fins almost got the 1st... But had to attempt the longer kick in OT. Missed. In fact, Dolphins missed 2 OT kicks that would have won it. 

You figure... It's 1983... Bills haven't won in Orange Bowl since 1966! That's 17 tries in 17 years! And you thought "The Drought" and playing the Cheatriots was bad!

Anyway,  Marino's first game and the Bills owned him the rest of his career. He went to one SuperBowl, lost and never back again! By today's standards people would say he sucked. I guess he did. 

I think it's more likely (and accurate) to say that the Dolphins (as a team and an organization) underachieved during Marino's tenure after getting to the Super Bowl.  

And before anyone pokes fun at them or calls them out, this is exactly what we're seeing with the Bills and Josh Allen's tenure ... minus going to a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think it's more likely (and accurate) to say that the Dolphins (as a team and an organization) underachieved during Marino's tenure after getting to the Super Bowl.  

You can thank Dolphin Killer Thurman Thomas for a large part of Miami's failure.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And before anyone pokes fun at them or calls them out, this is exactly what we're seeing with the Bills and Josh Allen's tenure ... minus going to a Super Bowl.

Thank You... But let's reserve the Bills critique and evaluation until AFTER Josh's career.

Steve Young got off to a slow start. Geesh...

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

I should have said his coaching staff too. They are the ones that transformed him, his mechanics especially,  in the first place.

Geesh...

Steve Young won the Super Bowl in his 4th season starting for the 49ers. 

55 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That is a good point about the Dolphins under-achieving, largely because their front office let Marino down. That said, theirs did it in a different way than ours has with Allen. Miami did, in fact, surround Marino with top level WRs (the Marx brothers, etc.) and built a quality offensive line to protect him. Let's hope that Beane can make the right moves to fortify the OL to better protect Josh. And adding another quality WR (or 2) would not hurt.

2 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

That is a good point about the Dolphins under-achieving, largely because their front office let Marino down. That said, theirs did it in a different way than ours has with Allen. Miami did, in fact, surround Marino with top level WRs (the Marx brothers, etc.) and built a quality offensive line to protect him. Let's hope that Beane can make the right moves to fortify the OL to better protect Josh. And adding another quality WR (or 2) would not hurt.

Agreed. And I also think that it was Marino who didn’t want any kind of significant run game, which if true, was pretty dumb. 

As far as the Bills go, the sooner Beane and McDermott (and the Pegulas) understand that defense doesn’t win championships anymore, the better off the Bills will be. 

Going into seasons planning on Josh and Diggs to somehow make this offense work deep into the playoffs has proven to be a pretty crappy plan. 

F*ck defense. Build an offensive powerhouse. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.