How bad were the Bills receivers this year? Hint really really bad

78thealltimegreat

We don't draft well, our O-line is terrible, our OC and DC are not competent and need to be replaced, we need to have someone else pay our MLB, etc, etc, and now we learn our WRers are terrible. How did we win a game last season?

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, no.

You've vastly mis-represented what Graham actually broke down.

He didn't break down how ridiculously bad the Bills receiving corps were this year.

He broke down how ridiculously bad the Bills pass  ... in one facet of the game.

And he's right. At drops they were really bad. And that's sure not good, at all. But it's also not everything a wide receiver does. It affects 6% of the Bills passes.

There's another 94%.

You kinda just confirmed the bills receivers are bad and Allen has no help but thank you for chiming in 

• Disagree 1

And a player they’d invested 3 years into and who had a reputation for ‘good hands’ they let slip away to play for Dabol in NY. 
I’ve always been of the opinion, given a choice of speed or hands, I’ll take hands all day long. Few things more frustrating than 10 players executing a pass play to perfection, only to have it squandered by a guy with butterfingers. 
Say, maybe the WR group (minus Diggs) could do an TV ad for the Butterfingers candy bar. 😉

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I never claimed you said that… you keep pointing out how good the offense was and then point out that Josh has flaws in his game that need to be better and yet you completely ignore the fact that the Bills offense IS because of Josh Allen…. The “bitching” is that Josh is asked to do way too much because of the lack of quality offensive players around him.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I never claimed you said that… you keep pointing out how good the offense was and then point out that Josh has flaws in his game that need to be better and yet you completely ignore the fact that the Bills offense IS because of Josh Allen…. The “bitching” is that Josh is asked to do way too much because of the lack of quality offensive players around him.

False. He is the qb, but the offense is the result of 11 players on the field. They each have flaws, including Josh and yet we thrive on offense. Yes, I said thrive. If you want to argue 2nd in points per game and 2nd in yds per game in the ENTIRE league isn’t thriving, save it.

KC is 1st in points per game, by 8 tenths of a point.  

The reason I bring up Josh is that he’s conveniently left out of the equation when a lot of you complain about the offense. 
There’s one person who would probably tell you he has work to do. Josh, himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

And a player they’d invested 3 years into and who had a reputation for ‘good hands’ they let slip away to play for Dabol in NY. 
I’ve always been of the opinion, given a choice of speed or hands, I’ll take hands all day long. Few things more frustrating than 10 players executing a pass play to perfection, only to have it squandered by a guy with butterfingers. 
Say, maybe the WR group (minus Diggs) could do an TV ad for the Butterfingers candy bar. 😉

Minus Diggs, huh. These are the leaders in drops for 2022.  There is a flaw in your thinking. 😉

image.thumb.png.82b7d3b59bf34e72b81dd9776e3849ad.png

Edited by Dopey
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

image.thumb.png.160c2e5df4689a147a22cd1b6597df28.png

Tim Graham has your panties in a bunch over this? All of the highlighted teams were playoff teams. Even the SB champs made the list. They all need to gut the receiver corps. and start over, right? The Bills need to do a butterfinger commercial, minus Diggs? OK, sure. 😄.

On 2/26/2023 at 12:44 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

He never was the problem.  The problem is Dorsey. The problem is stone hands receivers like Gabe. The problem is scrub olineman like Brown & Q getting Josh's arm torn off.  Josh haters are so adorably stupid.

Agreed… I don’t think you can boil it all down to “WR’s are bad.”  They certainly underperformed as evidenced by the drops.  I also think that Josh’s elbow injury affected his ball placement on touch throws.  Then you had some questionable route spacing on pass plays from Dorsey, and a lack of protections from the OL to let the routes develop.

There were a number of factors but yes, the WR’s could have been better

On 2/26/2023 at 2:22 AM, JaCrispy said:

No way McD allows Beane to move Oliver in a trade- especially to allow for offense…

Now, prove me wrong McBeane…Hopefully this jinx helps…😉

Sadly, you're likely right, we'll remain saddled with oliver

I'm looking at Josh Downs. We can't afford drafting our next receiver who has a history of catching under 60% of his passes. 

Downs caught 94 out of 116 targets last year, good for over 80% catch rate. 

Super quick, good short, intermediate and vertical. 

Would love to trade down and take him at the end of the 1st too of the 2nd and pick up and extra pick...

Anyway, I think Downs has the best hands out of the early slot guys. He can be the underneath safety blanket that keeps the chains moving, and also torch the defense deep.

Also need another outside threat. I like A.T. Perry right now if he lasts to the 4th. Tall and fluid, very good body control. 

I feel like we need to add two legitimate receivers, and probably have to trade back... 

Another dark horse of mine to help improve the passing game. A late pick on RB Evan Hull. Had over 500 yards receiving this year and is nick named baby Ekler. Was clocked at almost 20moh during the senior bowl and rushed for 75 yards...

Very fluid recover out of the backfield, might make those quick swings to the back just that much easier for Josh to take in rhythm.

we got bease and brown on not so big contracts (first go round that is), im hoping we get a high value/high production/low cost/low profile guy in free agency this offseason.  

dquan and von and bease/brown when we got them and hyde and poy make me think we can get just enough added value from a cheaper FA pick up to keep us in super bowl running.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, it still applies for 31 teams.

And we're still looking very competitive for next year.

Yeah, a few trolls. Virtually nobody else.

Plenty of Bills fans reasonably say that he was part of the problem in the Cincy game. He was. He, and the entire team, didn't play well. And we have to remember that he is still recovering from a partially torn ligament in his throwing arm.

Other than the trolls, are there really people out there arguing that Josh is a problem going forward? I haven't seen 'em but I don't look at every thread and post.

Very weak response Thurman.

The goal is to win the Super Bowl. Beane's words not mine. Allen, Diggs, and Miller aren't satisfied with being very competitive.

The fact that 31 other teams don't succeed is no excuse. While true, it should never be used to vindicate or justify failed results. I think it's safe to say that's what you are implying perhaps unintentional. 

Secondly, I agree the Bills are and will be very competitive.

You should always be very competitive when you have a top QB. That goes without saying. A healthy Allen should keep this team competitive for many years.

In short, I don't give a damn if 31 teams don't win the Super Bowl. I'm concerned about one team winning it. That's the Buffalo Bills. The goal posts have moved from being competitive to very competitive to winning it all. 

They have been in position to achieve the goal. The team and organization have failed in the Allen era. Years are marching by with inadequate and disappointing results. Very competitive has yielded very disappointing results. Especially, the last three years.

Thurman, something has to change in order to get this team and organization over the top. It's debatable what that is.

• Agree 1

Our mistake started when you lack competition for positions. 

WR, G, T are the best examples this year. 

Players are not pushed to what they are capable of doing if they are just given the job without earning it. We did not create or bring in enough talent to compete and bring out the best of these players..

It really is this simple. We could afford to bench a McKenzie for drops the prior year cause we had competition at the position he was in. This year with Davis? Who would replace davis for playing like trash? No one. Thus... it becomes acceptable as time goes on.

6 hours ago, Dopey said:

Minus Diggs, huh. These are the leaders in drops for 2022.  There is a flaw in your thinking. 😉

image.thumb.png.82b7d3b59bf34e72b81dd9776e3849ad.png

Maybe percentage of drops to targets would be a better measure. Are Diggs drop numbers high because the Bills are a pass-happy team that doesn’t share the spread out targets equitably among tight ends, backs, and other receivers? 
Raw stats can be misleading without a broad understanding. 
Maybe Diggs is guilty of a high percentage of drops, but that’s not my memory of his 2022 performance. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.