Looks like Poyer is more than willing to leave and play for Miami of all places.

Tipster19

After the Bills lost to the Titans in the 1999 playoffs (the illegal forward pass leading to the Music City Miracle), the cap-strapped Bills cut Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, and Thurman Thomas.  Smith and Reed went to Washington, but Thomas, in full snit, signed with the Dolphins.  He just wanted to stick it to the Bills front office, not really hurt the Bills or their fans.  After a year, when everyone realized Thomas was finished, he retired and moved back to WNY, where he's loved and respected, and his Dolphin episode is forgiven if not forgotten.

Poyer knows what buttons to push to try to get the Bills to give him a rich, long-term contract.  I don't think it will work.  But if he does sign elsewhere and then later on decides to move to WNY, I'm sure he'd be welcome.  Not that that's likely for a glamour couple like Poyer and Bush. 

1 hour ago, offyourocker said:

Let’s not forget about property tax being significantly more.  I used to have a 100k house in Rochester NY.  Taxes were 4k per year.  

I have a $400k house in Vegas. My taxes are less than $2k

Edited by uticaclub
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You talk about how a rich person can have someone on their payroll can avoid paying taxes then describe an ordinary person paying next to nothing in taxes.  

And sure there are things athletes can do to lessen tax burden involving starting businesses and whatnot but they pay plenty. And playing for a team in a state with no income tax does attract athletes.  It’s well known, agents sell it, teams sell it and players know it.  It is considered when comparing offers you can bank that. 

#1 I would not describe military members as ordinary people.  #2 Athletes do not pay plenty.  When someone making less than $20K per year (working poor) is paying a higher income/tax percentage than an athlete or politician who is making millions I would not say they pay plenty or their share.  You speak in absolutes but can’t back this up with any data points.  Look at all these players lining up to play for the Texans and Jaguars because of state tax free salary!  In fact the Jags had to drastically overpay every 2022 FA because they suck.  

• Eyeroll 1

20 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I don’t think that he could say any more than what he already did in the following article.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2023/2/24/23614259/does-jordan-poyer-want-to-play-for-the-miami-dolphins-tua-tagovailoa-mike-mcdaniel-buffalo-bills

Not for nothing (forgive me if it's already been said), but he also has made it clear that his preference is to stay with the Bills.  His wife may have something to do with him wanting to play for Miami, or somewhere in Florida. I have tried to ignore her (and references to her) social media activity, but even before the season was over, I think she has made reference to wanting to live in Florida. It would suck to lose the guy, he's been such a leader for this team...but it's going to happen sooner or later. There is still part of me who thinks he could end up back in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

IT's not NY taxes FFS.  Most of these guys maintain multiple residences and it's not that hard to make a place like FL your domicile meaning no state income tax.  Come on man.

It's the area, the weather, (for some guys; some don't care at all) and I wonder if there isn't a growing sentiment within the team that our coaching staff ain't gonna get it done.

Anyone who thinks this is about anything other than money is clearly mistaken.  He knows this is his last contract to get any more real money, and if Buffalo was to offer him what he would get somewhere else, he would absolutely stay in Buffalo.  

And honestly, all this talk by him sounds a lot like a guy angling to get the Bills to pony up and make him a proper offer.  Don't try and drum up some lame conspiracy theory and all this other junk.  

You need more gears in your gear box other than negative gear.  You try and paint the most negative situation with every story.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:08 AM, RunTheBall said:

Poyer is done. He’s played great for us, a true warrior. 

But he’s an aging vet playing through multiple injuries who’s looking to get paid. I get it from his point of view, but unless he comes back on a somewhat team friendly deal I can’t see us retaining him.

Poyer is a product of Frazier's soft zone coverage,  he is turning 32 and maybe has 1-2 seasons left.  Bills cannot start paying big money to fringe stars who are on the wrong side of 30.  They already have Hyde under contract for one more year,  the transition to younger and less expensive players needs to begin now. I dare anyone to show me one amazing game changing play that Poyer made in the past 4 playoff years and games.  

Right now he is teasing some emotional Bills fans about signing with the Dolphins,  who cares.  Given his age and injuries he had last season I would not be surprised to see him be another Beasley,  thinks he will receive better offers and then end up signing for far less.  

10 hours ago, Utah John said:

After the Bills lost to the Titans in the 1999 playoffs (the illegal forward pass leading to the Music City Miracle), the cap-strapped Bills cut Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, and Thurman Thomas.  Smith and Reed went to Washington, but Thomas, in full snit, signed with the Dolphins.  He just wanted to stick it to the Bills front office, not really hurt the Bills or their fans.  After a year, when everyone realized Thomas was finished, he retired and moved back to WNY, where he's loved and respected, and his Dolphin episode is forgiven if not forgotten.

Poyer knows what buttons to push to try to get the Bills to give him a rich, long-term contract.  I don't think it will work.  But if he does sign elsewhere and then later on decides to move to WNY, I'm sure he'd be welcome.  Not that that's likely for a glamour couple like Poyer and Bush. 

Insane to even mention giving a 32 year old fringe star a rich- long term deal.  Not even the Dolphins are giving him that,  he will ben lucky to see 2-3 deal with 12 -15 mllion guaranteed. A good but not great player who got a lot of tipped ball interceptions.  Time to move on,  either move White to safety or Benford.

22 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

These guys should just look over at Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson and read the situation. Poyer is a difference maker in this defense. He may not be a difference maker elsewhere. Sure he will get a bag, but his career will toil in relative obscurity and he will be cut in two years. 

And seriously, people are afraid of the Dolphins? 

He is not getting the bag,  should have tried to leave when he was younger.  No NFL team is giving him huge money

On 2/25/2023 at 8:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is what is happening with Poyer, but the general point is one I have wondered about too. I don't know enough about the US tax system though to really understand whether it is significant.

Pretty simple math:  Live in NYS and make the average NFLstarter pay, say $5m per year,  liberal/welfare state like NY you pay 11% income tax, conservative well run state like Fla or Tx, you pay 0%.   People say they make it up in real estate taxes?   Nope:  Erie country real estate taxes around 3% depending ; Dade County Fla, 1%

So if you make $10m per year and have a $1m house (pretty typical NFL Free Agent signee) , if you play in Fla or Tx , you keep around $1.5m in cash each year in your pocket vs playing in WNY.

I think the real driver is Rachel Bush, Poyer's wife.   She seems like a total diva who probably can't stand it in WNY.   

On 2/25/2023 at 8:10 AM, Gunsgoodtime said:

To keep it simple, NY state income tax is 10.9%, Florida is 0.  That's a pretty significant difference

I lived there for 25 years and believe me they make up for no income tax with fees for everything, vehicle registration and insurance are twice NY's, property taxes are as high there as NY,  home owners insurance is higher plus you have to pay for hurricane and flood insurance separately. For someone making seven figures it's okay, but it's not nirvana.

On 2/25/2023 at 7:40 AM, Tipster19 said:

I don’t think that he could say any more than what he already did in the following article.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2023/2/24/23614259/does-jordan-poyer-want-to-play-for-the-miami-dolphins-tua-tagovailoa-mike-mcdaniel-buffalo-bills

Let's just hope Beane looks at what the Chiefs did and how they went young in the secondary last season and won a Super Bowl. This included letting their best secondary player and safety Tyrann Mathieu walk,  he is also one year younger than Poyer. You cannot keep guys forever Tyrann Mathieu was a very good player for the Chiefs and helped them win a Super Bowl but was he getting older and they decided to go younger/cheaper. 

Poyer will wind up going to who ever has the deepest pockets loyalty is only about the dollar amount any more & has absolutely nothing to do with a team that has given you your best chance to be the best you you can be .

So Poyer will be riding off into the sunset on his pony with his saddle bags filled with hundred dollar bills that didn't come from the Bills . Plus him saying he wants to go some where where it's warmer & the sun shines tells us all a lot about how he felt playing here i believe sounds like he's not a huge fan of Buffalo .

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Anyone who thinks this is about anything other than money is clearly mistaken.  He knows this is his last contract to get any more real money, and if Buffalo was to offer him what he would get somewhere else, he would absolutely stay in Buffalo.  

And honestly, all this talk by him sounds a lot like a guy angling to get the Bills to pony up and make him a proper offer.  Don't try and drum up some lame conspiracy theory and all this other junk.  

You need more gears in your gear box other than negative gear.  You try and paint the most negative situation with every story.  

Which is why I still think there is a chance he stays in Buffalo. No disrespect to him at all, but I think he may find that the Bills value him more than a lot of other teams might. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.