Bobby Wagner - the solution to the Edmunds problem

Rigotz

On 2/24/2023 at 11:43 AM, JaCrispy said:

Yup, I thought we should have traded Edmunds last year and signed Wagner- but of course, that would have taken foresight from our FO…😉

I actually had that same idea. Thought we could save cap space and get a second or more

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I actually had that same idea. Thought we could save cap space and get a second or more

I too was thinking the same when Bobby was available
But i have no link for you Dan D 

1 hour ago, Hit Man #47 said:

Rigotz

Community Member

Author

Posted 3 hours ago

5 hours ago, Hit Man #47 said:

Wagner was still good against the run… but a liability in pass coverage…

Yes, Wagner’s presence in the middle of the defense helped fortify the Rams run defense into one of the top units in the league in that regard. Though similar to his time with the Seattle Seahawks, LA gave up a high volume of pass completions in the short, middle area of the field where Wagner and second-year linebacker Ernest Jones were in coverage. The veteran linebacker is not the same player that he was in his prime, but that’s understandable for someone who is 32 - and the Rams didn’t sign Wagner last offseason with the expectation they were getting the best football of his career.

He was the #1 graded inside linebacker by PFF last season, so I’d say he wasn’t exactly a liability.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

from SB Nation/LA Rams- gleaned from Your PFF reference- 

While Wagner led the best rushing defense the Rams have put on the field in recent memory, he also struggled in pass coverage and that’s just not something you can stomach in the modern NFL. According to Pro Football Focus (PFF) data, the veteran was targeted in coverage 48 times during his first (and seemingly only) season in LA - allowing 37 catches and a 77% completion percentage. Receivers in Wagner’s coverage accumulated 420 yards and a touchdown, while he forced two interceptions. Opposing quarterbacks tallied a quarterback passer rating of 92.4 when targeting Wagner in coverage.

So yes, Wagner is still an elite run defender and his PFF rushing defense grade of 90.1 backs that up; however, the aforementioned target data and his pass coverage grade of 76.1 show his coverage skills are in decline - and that’s a major reason why Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks decided to move on from the linebacker a year ago.

_______________________________________________________________________________   Wagner was a Liability in pass coverage last year - Imagine what the Pass Heavy AFC QB's will do to him- Just Sayin ..

Or you could begin to play more press coverage with Hyde over the top ? Just sayin  😊

I just don't understand what is holding up signing a MLB to replace Edmunds. If a rookie is expected to start at such an important position , it will be unfair to him and we will be frustrated by his growing pains . Kelce and the like will have a field day. While I read that Wagner isn't great at pas coverage any more, he is at least experienced.

What is Beane's plan anyway . And please don't say it is a hope that the undersized Bernard will magically fill that void 

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I just don't understand what is holding up signing a MLB to replace Edmunds. If a rookie is expected to start at such an important position , it will be unfair to him and we will be frustrated by his growing pains . Kelce and the like will have a field day. While I read that Wagner isn't great at pas coverage any more, he is at least experienced.

What is Beane's plan anyway . And please don't say it is a hope that the undersized Bernard will magically fill that void 

Easy answer.  $

3rdand12

Community Member

Posted 1 hour ago

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

I too was thinking the same when Bobby was available
But i have no link for you Dan D 

2 hours ago, Hit Man #47 said:

Or you could begin to play more press coverage with Hyde over the top ? Just sayin  😊

________________________________________________________________________________________________

with WR's Waddle, Hill, Jeudy, Sutton, Lamb, Brown, Watkins, Chase, Higgins, Adams, Keenan Allen and Mike Evans on the schedule ?? It's not like we have corners who can consistently play press man- factor in a D line that cannot pressure The QB...and you arrive back at Leslie Frasiers bend don't break Coverage Scheme- but maybe an occassional 3rd and 12- may work  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.