Bobby Wagner - the solution to the Edmunds problem

Rigotz

2 hours ago, qwksilver said:

That team had no expectations. Not the same if we want to go to the SB. Do we really want to spend a 1st 2nd or 3rd on a ILB? We have other needs.

Thank goodness for March Madness.

The chief won a SB with key contributions from their rookies.  

18 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Whom do you like on that list ?

Great question. I can only give a limited answer though as I don’t know all of the players on it. Wagner is obviously the best of the lot, probably by a wide margin. Walker is a good player and should be cheap. He is wanted back in Cleveland, but that’s not a done deal. I’d take him here. 

Myles Jack seems to be a solid LB who keeps getting overpaid and then cut. He’d be fine at the right price. The knee issues he had when drafted should be looked at as they were expected to end his career early.

Jones is interesting. I honestly do not know what happened there. Second round pick in Atlanta who played very well early on, got paid after year 3 and then mid-season (his 6th) got traded to Cleveland for nothing. Atlanta even ate almost his whole salary. He was a very good LB, but I don’t know if he still is. And I don’t know why they dumped him. 

Perryman should be a solid starter too. That’s it for me. I don't know annything about the others. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

It’s in California to pick up Jessie after Indian Wells and fly her to the next tournament in Miami.

For those not familiar with the area, Van Nuys is about 150 miles from Indian Wells. 

Maybe they came for some corned beef and cabbage.

Edited by SoCal Deek

Wagner was still good against the run… but a liability in pass coverage…

Yes, Wagner’s presence in the middle of the defense helped fortify the Rams run defense into one of the top units in the league in that regard. Though similar to his time with the Seattle Seahawks, LA gave up a high volume of pass completions in the short, middle area of the field where Wagner and second-year linebacker Ernest Jones were in coverage. The veteran linebacker is not the same player that he was in his prime, but that’s understandable for someone who is 32 - and the Rams didn’t sign Wagner last offseason with the expectation they were getting the best football of his career.

2 hours ago, Hit Man #47 said:

Yes, Wagner’s presence in the middle of the defense helped fortify the Rams run defense into one of the top units in the league in that regard. Though similar to his time with the Seattle Seahawks, LA gave up a high volume of pass completions in the short, middle area of the field where Wagner and second-year linebacker Ernest Jones were in coverage. The veteran linebacker is not the same player that he was in his prime, but that’s understandable for someone who is 32 - and the Rams didn’t sign Wagner last offseason with the expectation they were getting the best football of his career.

He was the #1 graded inside linebacker by PFF last season, so I’d say he wasn’t exactly a liability.

Rigotz

Community Member

Author

Posted 3 hours ago

5 hours ago, Hit Man #47 said:

He was the #1 graded inside linebacker by PFF last season, so I’d say he wasn’t exactly a liability.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

from SB Nation/LA Rams- gleaned from Your PFF reference- 

While Wagner led the best rushing defense the Rams have put on the field in recent memory, he also struggled in pass coverage and that’s just not something you can stomach in the modern NFL. According to Pro Football Focus (PFF) data, the veteran was targeted in coverage 48 times during his first (and seemingly only) season in LA - allowing 37 catches and a 77% completion percentage. Receivers in Wagner’s coverage accumulated 420 yards and a touchdown, while he forced two interceptions. Opposing quarterbacks tallied a quarterback passer rating of 92.4 when targeting Wagner in coverage.

So yes, Wagner is still an elite run defender and his PFF rushing defense grade of 90.1 backs that up; however, the aforementioned target data and his pass coverage grade of 76.1 show his coverage skills are in decline - and that’s a major reason why Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks decided to move on from the linebacker a year ago.

_______________________________________________________________________________   Wagner was a Liability in pass coverage last year - Imagine what the Pass Heavy AFC QB's will do to him- Just Sayin ..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.