Bobby Wagner - the solution to the Edmunds problem

Rigotz

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He went to a team that has 2 starting linebackers already and a top reserve. He’s going there to compete for a backup role. That leads me to believe we were not in on him. 

I understand we weren't in on him. I just don't understand our game plan for our biggest hole on the this team. There's not much left. We can't go into the season as we stand now. Are we really going with a rookie? 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

I understand we weren't in on him. I just don't understand our game plan for our biggest hole on the this team. There's not much left. We can't go into the season as we stand now. Are we really going with a rookie? 

Teams are probably waiting for Wagner to chose his team and sign. His contract will show where the market is and then we will see some lower priced deals done. Still some good options out there. Walker will likely re-sign with the Browns. Doesn’t seem to be much happening with anyone else on the list right now:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/inside-linebacker/all/

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Reality is we need more than just one LB. Huge upgrade over a guy like Klein and the money was easy, could have even gone two years to get this year hit even lower. 

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

At this point I do. I think they are going to hit the reset button there. I like this linebacker class a lot and there are a couple of plug and play guys. If its not Wagner I think its going to be a rookie. 

I mentioned him a few times, but I really like Anthony Walker as a stopgap, raise the floor. Outside or Wagner and outside shot Walker, I think the next guy is going to be a rookie. 

56 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Didn’t we do that with edmunds?   Wagner cant cover if they plan on same D. Draft looking more likely, Dodson isn’t bad, plus we have last years 3 rd round pick as well with experience,,,,,not playing experience but those mental reps are part of the process! Besides, this is the year of the O everybody called for since the CINCY loss!  PO is back and confident , feels great which is good to hear.

He and Hyde will be there unlike last year when both could be considered in all practicality, missing in action due to injury.  With them back , no matter who is inserted , the d will be better than last year ,  or at worst pretty equivalent.  If they could somehow luck into Jack Campbell , was listening to kirwin on Sirius , and he believes he is great athlete , plug and play and will be a starting iLB/MLB for a team like the bills this year.  There is also the 2nd ratedLB in the draft  , name escaping me , but the film room guys from cover one are very high on him so no need to panic.    The board , podcasts, all requesting  o line, another receiver, and weapons for ALLEN, so it’s going according to form so far…... It’s just early FA time, sit back and chill till preseason. Still haven’t even hit trade deadline, so this is the time to relax as no pressure and nothing fans can do anyhow.   ENJOY MARCH MADNESS, at least as good as any SB without the bills playing!  😁

• Eyeroll 2

7 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Didn’t we do that with edmunds?  

That team had no expectations. Not the same if we want to go to the SB. Do we really want to spend a 1st 2nd or 3rd on a ILB? We have other needs.

Thank goodness for March Madness.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

No idea what we are doing. This deal and even the David and Long deals are ones we should have been in on. 

1 hour ago, qwksilver said:

Just read Tranquil scored around 75 in coverage over the last 2 seasons.  Those are very good numbers.  Maybe they think Campbell is the option if Wagner doesn't sign?  Everybody else worth a damn is gone.  I just know I'm not starting my season with Dodson, Bernard or Spector at ILB.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Teams are probably waiting for Wagner to chose his team and sign. His contract will show where the market is and then we will see some lower priced deals done. Still some good options out there. Walker will likely re-sign with the Browns. Doesn’t seem to be much happening with anyone else on the list right now:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/inside-linebacker/all/

Whom do you like on that list ?

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

No idea what we are doing. This deal and even the David and Long deals are ones we should have been in on. 

Why do people keep making this point? It’s likely they were indeed “in on” them. Players opt to sign elsewhere.

• Agree 1

It certainly is strange. Even if we were gung-Ho on Terrell Bernard, how do you not at LEAST bring in a vet to compete for the starting job? The guy is a complete unknown right now. What is going on? Same thing with spending a draft pick on a MLB, it’s still an unproven rookie. Where is the vet signing!??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

At this point I do. I think they are going to hit the reset button there. I like this linebacker class a lot and there are a couple of plug and play guys. If its not Wagner I think its going to be a rookie. 

I mentioned him a few times, but I really like Anthony Walker as a stopgap, raise the floor. Outside or Wagner and outside shot Walker, I think the next guy is going to be a rookie. 

Not very excited to have a rookie calling plays.
 Edmunds did it , I know. But not sure I was happy about it back then either.

Probably had Hyde calling down corrections

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Plus we didn't have SB aspirations when he was a starting rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, qwksilver said:

Plus we didn't have SB aspirations when he was a starting rookie.

I have said they are going to have to tweak the defense regardless because of Edmunds leaving. Which is fine by me

Those that mention Campbell in the draft ? Thats fine with me  but many of our more in tune minds here suggest he is not a good fit if Bills were to run back the same Defense.
 Drue Tranquil was a miss imho at that price
and seems if they have interest in Wagner at all , they are waiting out the market and trying to leverage. Not always the best method to get a player on board.

starting to feel like they are fine with drafting one 🙄

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Why do people keep making this point? It’s likely they were indeed “in on” them. Players opt to sign elsewhere.

Problem is the contract #'s are coming on low. So if we are offering less then we didn't really want. If we offered same or more why do players not want to come here?

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Problem is the contract #'s are coming on low. So if we are offering less then we didn't really want. If we offered same or more why do players not want to come here?

Or we are offering their correct value because they are assessed as backups, and we arent paying high Free Agent money for a backup to start and under-perform for us. Our own draft picks can under-perform for us at a much cheaper cost.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

for reasons like these I keep thinking we HAVE to still be planning a vet signing at LB,  but the market is just Bobby Wagner now and that seems like a long shot? IS there anyone else? Myles Jack? Heck I’d honestly take that gladly at this point too

1 minute ago, BobBelcher said:

for reasons like these I keep thinking we HAVE to still be planning a vet signing at LB,  but the market is just Bobby Wagner now and that seems like a long shot? IS there anyone else? Myles Jack? Heck I’d honestly take that gladly at this point too

I dont know what they are thinking at this point. But i am getting a tad stressed  LOL

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

Didn’t we do that with edmunds?   Wagner cant cover if they plan on same D.

In 2020, when they've had Klein playing for Milano while he was on IR (big drop-off in coverage), I seem to recall Frazier explaining that they re-worked roles and responsibilities rather than taking a "next man up" philosophy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.