Bobby Wagner - the solution to the Edmunds problem

Rigotz

23 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

You think Wagner would go for that?  

If he wants big money guaranteed up front, forget about it.

Not sure what to make of Edmunds.  Him saying he's going to test FA makes me think he doesn't believe the Bills will give him what he wants (or already knows that).

depends, if he really wants to be released to play for a contender he might.  We should def try, if he says no, then I'd draft Overshow from Texas or the guy from Ark whose name I cannot recall.  

I agree Edmunds is likely gone, and that's fine, we get crushed on D with him there and without him there, so I'd rather spend big money on offense.  (again, would only want Wagner at a good deal, but he is better than Edmunds, so ok spending money there, then instead of drafting Overshow this year, keep drafting offense.)  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/24/2023 at 8:10 PM, John from Riverside said:

I don’t care what he’s done I wanna know what he’s gonna do for us now, and in the future

So ... he was rated the best linebacker in the league last year, but he's getting older.

He'll give the Bills 1-2 more years of elite production, because that's what he's done his entire career including last year.

If he was the best linebacker in the league and was 24 years old, we wouldn't be able to afford him and his team probably wouldn't let him go.

Not sure what kind of answer you're looking for outside of this.

On 2/24/2023 at 11:56 AM, Jerome007 said:

Are the Rams really done? They won the SB just one year ago! They had so many injuries you can't even gauge their "power rankings".

If Edmunds can get 12M, yes, it'd probably be better to get Wagner instead.

The Rams went all in and now have few picks and a salary cap mess, plus a bunch of older guys.  Donald has talked about retirement multiple times, Stafford should retire, they have no weapons on O outside of Kupp at this point.. it ain’t great.  If I we’re running the show there, I’d go all out this year.  Dump Stafford, sign Baker for a short deal, try to get Donald to retire or get traded, Wags is already gone.  Maybe MAYBE even move Kupp for picks.  They need to re-stock the cupboards. 

Anyone else get the feeling that we think this defense is hinging on this position? I mean, I know it’s an important position, but should such a great defense (statistically) be held hostage by Edmunds.. which is crazy because he’s not even a game changer. Should a defense with this much invested in it be more complete on the field and not so dependent on the talents of one position? 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cant compare todays deals with the larger cap to deals other players signed already in the past, they are not equally comparable. 

Agree. 2 year inflation does that regardless, but also Milano signed in the cap down year I think didn't he? If my timing is right. So deals that year were all affected and a lot of teams got a relative bargain.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cant compare todays deals with the larger cap to deals other players signed already in the past, they are not equally comparable. 

Point being I don't think Edmunds is worth more than Milano as a player on this team.  I'm sure some team will pay him Roquan Smith-type money, but hopefully it's not the Bills unless it's a very light up-front contract that's more backloaded and gives the Bills an out in a couple years.

Edited by Billz4ever

On 2/25/2023 at 12:52 AM, BobbyC81 said:

When Stafford led the Rams to a title, he was a savior.  Now he’s trash?

Remember, he had a shoulder injury to start the year, lost his best O-lineman to retirement and then lost his best receiver early in the year.  

I recently read an article about all the NFL teams’ QB situations, and they also said they needed a new QB.  I could be wrong but I don’t think he’s done.

I didnt write or infer he is "now trash" but now he has had two serious documented concussions, the Rams have a lot of holes and  Stafford now has a Ring....those are all a lot of excellent reasons to retire.

On 2/24/2023 at 12:22 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

We should be able to re-sign Edmunds with a hit of about $9M this year. Would need to get Wagner under that when he was set to have a $12M cap hit this year.

If we can get him on a 3/$30M with a $7M cap hit this year, then maybe.

This is the best logic.

While I think Wagner could actually be a short-term improvement, given Edmunds age, you can spread out his guaranteed $$ over say a 7 year contract, with outs later on, so his cap next year is lower than anyone else you could sign. That gives us more room to bring in a FA WR and G.

However, really we should look to add a playmaking LB from the draft. You can get fine production from rookie LBs 

1 hour ago, harmonkillebrew said:

This is the best logic.

While I think Wagner could actually be a short-term improvement, given Edmunds age, you can spread out his guaranteed $$ over say a 7 year contract, with outs later on, so his cap next year is lower than anyone else you could sign. That gives us more room to bring in a FA WR and G.

However, really we should look to add a playmaking LB from the draft. You can get fine production from rookie LBs 

Thanks.

WRT bold, hate to say it but this is where we miss Whaley. He had a knack for later LBs. Bradham, Johnson, Milano...

For Beane and Co. trying to replace Edmunds through the draft means an early pick, and I'd say a 50/50 shot on hitting.

I already wanted our first 3 picks to be IOL/IOL/WR, in whatever order necessary. I guess if we use the money to sign Ben Powers we could get away with only drafting 1 IOL early. Maybe have a draft of LB/IOL/WR, in that order.

I dunno. I dont think it's that easy to pluck a playmaking LB from the draft as needed.

16 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thanks.

WRT bold, hate to say it but this is where we miss Whaley. He had a knack for later LBs. Bradham, Johnson, Milano...

For Beane and Co. trying to replace Edmunds through the draft means an early pick, and I'd say a 50/50 shot on hitting.

I already wanted our first 3 picks to be IOL/IOL/WR, in whatever order necessary. I guess if we use the money to sign Ben Powers we could get away with only drafting 1 IOL early. Maybe have a draft of LB/IOL/WR, in that order.

I dunno. I dont think it's that easy to pluck a playmaking LB from the draft as needed.

I'm thinking WR/ILB/OL in first three rounds

G and WR in FA

hopefully re-sign Poyer

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

I'm thinking WR/ILB/OL in first three rounds

G and WR in FA

hopefully re-sign Poyer

I'm not one to just assign positions to rounds.........but the way the board looks to me that really might be the way the value falls for them.    

And yes on the FA.

I will be surprised if they go into the draft with MLB as a need though..........I think they sign one of the many off-ball LB in UFA to be the starter in the event the draft doesn't produce one.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.