Bobby Wagner - the solution to the Edmunds problem

Rigotz

5 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Yup, I thought we should have traded Edmunds last year and signed Wagner- but of course, that would have taken foresight from our FO…😉

Actually, it would have taken inept shortsightedness by the FO.  Even though Wagner had a good season, he has just about run out the string.  Why is he being released from a bad roster?  The answer to that may tell us all we need to know.  At this stage of his career, he isn't the guy that takes away the intermediate pass routes in the center of the field.  This is an important function in the scheme run by the Bills' defense.  Edmunds is the guy that lets the Bills do many of the things that they do in pass coverage.  The Edmunds haters would do well to watch a bunch of all 22 video of the Bills defense before making some of these pronouncements.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We probably have enough cap space to afford one splash player after all available restructures are executed. Do we really want to use that one splash signing on a LB? That logic applies to Wagner and Edmunds. It's time to make a splash signing on offense.

You are missing the point.  By signing Wagner you rid yourself of Edmunds.  Edmunds you tag and trade.  You get Wagner who is an upgrade at LB, you avoid a long term deal with Edmunds, and you probably net a first and a 3rd round pick for Edmunds.  It's win, win, win! And win the SuperBowl!

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Actually, it would have taken inept shortsightedness by the FO.  Even though Wagner had a good season, he has just about run out the string.  Why is he being released from a bad roster?  The answer to that may tell us all we need to know.  At this stage of his career, he isn't the guy that takes away the intermediate pass routes in the center of the field.  This is an important function in the scheme run by the Bills' defense.  Edmunds is the guy that lets the Bills do many of the things that they do in pass coverage.  The Edmunds haters would do well to watch a bunch of all 22 video of the Bills defense before making some of these pronouncements.

Are there any decent QBs who worry about Edmunds presence in the middle of the field? If Edmunds is key to the defense, what does it say that the unit consistently comes up short when it matters? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think the Rams are done and Stafford is old, expensive and had two concussions last year.  If he hung it up it wouldnt shock me at all then the rams will really flounder.

They are doing a mild rebuild cuz $ already spent

2 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Good insight to Bills game.

But I suggest that Bills need to change the defense up to some degree regardless. Since it has been figured out : (

21 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Depends on what edmunds wants and what Wagner is willing to take for a SB run. There's a real chance that edmunds thinks he can get around 20 mil and there's probably teams like the giants that would pay it. Bills should not tie up that kind of money.

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t care what he’s done I wanna know what he’s gonna do for us now, and in the future

something different than Edmunds ?

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We probably have enough cap space to afford one splash player after all available restructures are executed. Do we really want to use that one splash signing on a LB? That logic applies to Wagner and Edmunds. It's time to make a splash signing on offense.

I think the FO can do several moves, not many splash though.  But I am with you and would like to see more resources put towards the offensive side..  I'd like to see the FO get a FA OLman, and draft one.  Then also get a veteran skill position offensive player - an OBJ/Hopkins/Evans/Thomas or D Henry.

To do multiple moves it would mean unloading defensive salary - Edmunds gone, Poyer gone, I wouldn't mind seeing Oliver traded.    

I do not think that Edmunds is the only backer who can run our defense but Wagner is not one of the solutions. The solution is primarily fast, secondly long, and thirdly large enough to disrupt. Wagner is not fast enough or long enough, but dude has the third part in spades, much more than Edmunds. 

15 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We should be able to re-sign Edmunds with a hit of about $9M this year. Would need to get Wagner under that when he was set to have a $12M cap hit this year.

If we can get him on a 3/$30M with a $7M cap hit this year, then maybe.

I don't see it. Edmunds is 24 years old, with 5 years of experience, a relatively clean bill of health, elite measurables and athleticism for a man his size, and 2 Pro Bowls while QB'ing one of the top ranked Defenses in the NFL.

Regardless of how people feel about him around here, those are a lot of qualities that go into what makes one HIGHLY overpaid on the open market. He's already said he's going to test that field and that market is going to be well beyond our price range.

He's gone and people on this board are going to be shocked by the contract he signs for with another team.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think the Rams are done and Stafford is old, expensive and had two concussions last year.  If he hung it up it wouldnt shock me at all then the rams will really flounder.

When Stafford led the Rams to a title, he was a savior.  Now he’s trash?

Remember, he had a shoulder injury to start the year, lost his best O-lineman to retirement and then lost his best receiver early in the year.  

I recently read an article about all the NFL teams’ QB situations, and they also said they needed a new QB.  I could be wrong but I don’t think he’s done.

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't see it. Edmunds is 24 years old, with 5 years of experience, a relatively clean bill of health, elite measurables and athleticism for a man his size, and 2 Pro Bowls while QB'ing one of the top ranked Defenses in the NFL.

Regardless of how people feel about him around here, those are a lot of qualities that go into what makes one HIGHLY overpaid on the open market. He's already said he's going to test that field and that market is going to be well beyond our price range.

He's gone and people on this board are going to be shocked by the contract he signs for with another team.

I won't be shocked....probably laughing. I would have targeted the Bears or Lions last year for high picks rds. 2-4 in some way. I had my eye on Christian Harris LB from Alabama. Looks like the LB class is better this year.

14 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

I prefer TJ Edwards 

Close to Zero chance they pursue him. They have shown zero interest in that type of linebacker in the past. I think they pursue Germaine Pratt, Cole Holcomb, Bobby Okereke, Cody Barton, maybe a Zach Cunningham, Anthony Walker Jr. or Leighton Vander Esch if Edmunds goes. Those guys are the types of athletes they typically pursue. A lot of people have mentioned Shaq Thompson if cut, I could see that as well. 

Don’t get me wrong, I like Edwards, I just don’t think he is their type. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The 5/$100M deal Roquan Smith just signed has his cap hits as $9M and $13M the first 2 years because of the long term deal.

Edmunds will likely sign a 5 or 6 year deal as well. So even if it is for $120M, his cap hit in 2023 should be under $10M.

I urge everyone to take a good look at the structure of the Smith deal as an example of how we could bring Edmunds back cheaper than what he cost us this past year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/roquan-smith-25103/

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.