Bobby Wagner - the solution to the Edmunds problem

Rigotz

14 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I would sign him for a 1-year deal at that.  If he wants a multi-year deal, that all depends on how it's structured.  He's good but is also going to turn 33 in June.  

Only way this works is if you add a void year to lower the cap - then it truly is a 1 year deal.  More likely a 2 with a void year afterwards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

I'd do it - 1-2 year deal.

A fan here posted a statistic that showed Wagner had as many interceptions in one season as a Ram (in a new defense) as Edmunds has in his entire career.  That was interesting.  

I'm inclined to do this sort of deal to take advantage of what's likely Von Miller's last year of playing football at a "great" level and that it'd be great if the Bills got into a Super Bowl (or win one) before the new stadium opens.  I saw this year as an all-in year and given the disappointment of the 22 season, the 23 season is even more desperate.  

If I were the Pegulas, I'd want everyone in OBD feeling like it's Super Bowl or else this year.  No more "aww shucks, we'll work harder!" crap.

I think Von can play at a very high level for another 3 years if he acl allows it.  Bruce and Reggie had their best seasons in their mid-late 30's 

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Only way this works is if you add a void year to lower the cap - then it truly is a 1 year deal.  More likely a 2 with a void year afterwards.

His cap hit is likely lower than Edmunds would be

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Are the Rams really done? They won the SB just one year ago! They had so many injuries you can't even gauge their "power rankings".

If Edmunds can get 12M, yes, it'd probably be better to get Wagner instead.

I think the Rams are done and Stafford is old, expensive and had two concussions last year.  If he hung it up it wouldnt shock me at all then the rams will really flounder.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Are the Rams really done? They won the SB just one year ago! They had so many injuries you can't even gauge their "power rankings".

Edmunds is going to get 17 - 20 million average annual value from someone. The Bills could structure the contract so his cap hit is less than 12 million for the first year or two. But dude is going to get paid. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We probably have enough cap space to afford one splash player after all available restructures are executed. Do we really want to use that one splash signing on a LB? That logic applies to Wagner and Edmunds. It's time to make a splash signing on offense.

Make more space by trading Ed Oliver. He has 3 strong games per season and disappears for the rest 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the issue the Bills have with short term deals for good veteran players is that they can't do much to mitigate the first year cost without leaving them with dead money in the near future.

With Edmunds.........they can give him a long term deal and re-structure it over and over again as long as he is playable.    The dead money might be as far away as 2028 or 2030.

If Edmunds was 29 and looking at $15M aav he'd not be an option for the Bills, IMO.   

Wagner will be 33 in June, grew up in LA. Not sure Buffalo weather will appeal to him. He was PFF's highest rated LB for the 2022 season, which is great, but he hasn't been part of anything but mediocre to moderately below average defenses since 2017. I know Seattle has had secondary problems, which suggests to me that great LBs can't make up for problematic secondary play or a weak pass rush. The running backs of the defense, as it were.    

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Some of us wanted him last year alongside an Edmunds trade. He ended up signing with the Rams at about $12M/per.

Now Bobby and the Rams are “mutually agreeing to part ways because he wants to be with a contender.”

How about Bobby Wagner and a late round pick to groom at MLB? 

First, Wagner signed a 5 year $50M contract at $10M per year.  Rams went crazy with only a $2.5M cap hit in 2022.

IF he could be the fit for a couple of years in McDermott's D and he signs a 3/$30M with an out after 2, I could be interested.

He could be an anchor in the transition to a new D.  Signing him for a $7M cap hit in 2023 is doable.  This is of course if he is

the fit they are looking for and not want him to do something he hasn't done in the past.

Signing one 33-year-old (along with Von) is not too crazy as long as Beane lets a bunch of these older guys walk.

Players over 30 that I'm including are T. Jones (34), Keenum (34), Safford (34), Beasley (33), Brown (32), Quessenberry (32),

Von Rotten (32), Klien (31) and Poyer (31), Kumerow (30), Matakevich (30).  Not to mention it's Hyde's (32) last year.

The locker room was getting old but letting these guys go rebalances the age even with a Wagner signing.

Wagner could bring a vet presence to a D that is going to get real young real fast.

25 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Make more space by trading Ed Oliver. He has 3 strong games per season and disappears for the rest 

I'm really not a fan of this idea. We would then have to sign a 3T just to have starting caliber talent there. Let's say we pay $5 million to replace him. That would save us just $5 million on the cap as opposed to just keeping him. I'd rather just keep the young player who has shown flashes and who will be motivated to show out in his contract year. I don't expect us to re-sign him but we might as well use up his 5th year option at this point.

31 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Edmunds is going to get 17 - 20 million average annual value from someone. The Bills could structure the contract so his cap hit is less than 12 million for the first year or two. But dude is going to get paid. 

I hope he does get 17-20 and it’s not with the Bills.  If Poyer signs a monster deal we could be sitting pretty next year with comp picks.  

• Eyeroll 1

Wagner will be 33

Von Miller turns 34 next month

Micah Hyde is 32

Jordan Poyer is 32 in April.

I'd take a flyer on Wagner.

Besides, isn't Wagner busy fighting a war in Ukraine ? I keep seeing his name in headlines.

At some point we need to have younger core players on D.

Not players in their twilight.

New blood please

4 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

I think they need to reset into being a normal football team for a minute. They’ve continued to trade draft picks for vets for forever. They need to reload. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.