Bobby Wagner - the solution to the Edmunds problem

Rigotz

Some of us wanted him last year alongside an Edmunds trade. He ended up signing with the Rams at about $12M/per.

Now Bobby and the Rams are “mutually agreeing to part ways because he wants to be with a contender.”

How about Bobby Wagner and a late round pick to groom at MLB? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

If they can get him for the right price, sure.  He is a definite improvement over Edmunds.

If he wants a bunch of guaranteed money that creates a difficult cap situation, then no.  He is 32 years old; this team cannot afford to lock up more money with aging players on defense.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We should be able to re-sign Edmunds with a hit of about $9M this year. Would need to get Wagner under that when he was set to have a $12M cap hit this year.

If we can get him on a 3/$30M with a $7M cap hit this year, then maybe.

Yeah the issue the Bills have with short term deals for good veteran players is that they can't do much to mitigate the first year cost without leaving them with dead money in the near future.

With Edmunds.........they can give him a long term deal and re-structure it over and over again as long as he is playable.    The dead money might be as far away as 2028 or 2030.

If Edmunds was 29 and looking at $15M aav he'd not be an option for the Bills, IMO.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Some of us wanted him last year alongside an Edmunds trade. He ended up signing with the Rams at about $12M/per.

Now Bobby and the Rams are “mutually agreeing to part ways because he wants to be with a contender.”

How about Bobby Wagner and a late round pick to groom at MLB? 

This move would be a quick fix at MLB for about a season.  But despite his age, he played well in 2002, and I’m guessing he’s going to want a multi-year deal.  

I also think with their needs the Bills won’t take a LB high enough to groom this season

It makes sense on paper but is highly unlikely 

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We should be able to re-sign Edmunds with a hit of about $9M this year. Would need to get Wagner under that when he was set to have a $12M cap hit this year.

If we can get him on a 3/$30M with a $7M cap hit this year, then maybe.

You think Wagner would go for that?  

If he wants big money guaranteed up front, forget about it.

Not sure what to make of Edmunds.  Him saying he's going to test FA makes me think he doesn't believe the Bills will give him what he wants (or already knows that).

Edited by Billz4ever

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Not if he's going to want $12M still. That's more than Milano is making.

Yeah because Milano signed 2 years ago for a team friendly price even at the time. Milano would get paid $15M per year at minimum if he was an UFA this year. $12M per year for Wagner would be an absolute BARGAIN.

15 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Yeah because Milano signed 2 years ago for a team friendly price even at the time. Milano would get paid $15M per year at minimum if he was an UFA this year. $12M per year for Wagner would be an absolute BARGAIN.

I would sign him for a 1-year deal at that.  If he wants a multi-year deal, that all depends on how it's structured.  He's good but is also going to turn 33 in June.  

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

You think Wagner would go for that?  

If he wants big money guaranteed up front, forget about it.

Not sure what to make of Edmunds.  Him saying he's going to test FA makes me think he doesn't believe the Bills will give him what he wants (or already knows that).

I have no idea what Wagner would go for at this stage of his career. Just saying, if the argument is that "Wagner would be cheaper" it would have to be a reeeeeally cheap deal because Edmunds will get a much longer term with much smaller hits upfront.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I have no idea what Wagner would go for at this stage of his career. Just saying, if the argument is that "Wagner would be cheaper" it would have to be a reeeeeally cheap deal because Edmunds will get a much longer term with much smaller hits upfront.

Honestly, at his age, I would be very hesitant to give him a multi-year deal.  I'd rather just sign him for a 1-yr deal that doesn't tie our hands in future years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I'd do it - 1-2 year deal.

A fan here posted a statistic that showed Wagner had as many interceptions in one season as a Ram (in a new defense) as Edmunds has in his entire career.  That was interesting.  

I'm inclined to do this sort of deal to take advantage of what's likely Von Miller's last year of playing football at a "great" level and that it'd be great if the Bills got into a Super Bowl (or win one) before the new stadium opens.  I saw this year as an all-in year and given the disappointment of the 22 season, the 23 season is even more desperate.  

If I were the Pegulas, I'd want everyone in OBD feeling like it's Super Bowl or else this year.  No more "aww shucks, we'll work harder!" crap.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.