Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Th "team" thing confuses me the most in all of this.

The Ravens took a chance on Lamar when a lot of the league didn't believe in him and traded up to draft him with a SB winning,

high dollar QB, on the roster.

They made Lamar the starter and designed a team around him to succeed.  Then they gave him an extremely good offer at the start

of his 4th season.  I can only look at life through my own eyes, but I would have shown my "loyalty" to the team and signed it.

The Baltimore ownership and management have to feel a lot of regret where they find themselves now.  I wonder if Lamar even considers that?

Obviously not, he believes he has more value than he does and he is going to lose out because of it most likely.   I mean in the grand scheme of things he will be fine, filthy rich and whatnot.  But he does not seem like someone who is team first, he is "me first" and teams pick up on that.  I mean did he sit out at the end of last season for injury or was that a contract thing?  There are rumblings it was about a contract....if true, the guy you want to be your leader left his teammates out to dry and he is the opposite of what you want.   Many people I think are loyal to a greater good and agents have to walk them through the business process.   But not all... This reminds me of the Leveon Bell thing...he ended up costing himself a lot but turning down what the Steelers were offering.  If Lamar does not get an offer it will be very interesting to see how this goes.

• Agree 1

A team will have to trade 2 first round picks to obtain Lamar if the Ravens decide to not match the offer. However, if the Ravens are actually willful trade partners in that scenario, couldn't the Ravens send back a second and third round pick or whatever picks they want to sweeten the deal so a deal gets done. If teams are hesitant to trade for Lamar due to the two first round picks but the Ravens really want to move off of him for the equivalent of say one first rounder and a 3rd rounder than they would have to send picks back to the team that acquires him. 

Or do the rules of the franchise tag prevent manipulation of the established 2 first round pick trade value? 

I ask because I keep hearing " it will cost a team two first round picks" wondering if that is actually true. Heck technically couldn't the Ravens send back a 2024 first round pick which would basically make acquiring Lamar the cost of just one first round pick. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

A team will have to trade 2 first round picks to obtain Lamar if the Ravens decide to not match the offer. However, if the Ravens are actually willful trade partners in that scenario, couldn't the Ravens send back a second and third round pick or whatever picks they want to sweeten the deal so a deal gets done. If teams are hesitant to trade for Lamar due to the two first round picks but the Ravens really want to move off of him for the equivalent of say one first rounder and a 3rd rounder than they would have to send picks back to the team that acquires him. 

Or do the rules of the franchise tag prevent manipulation of the established 2 first round pick trade value? 

I ask because I keep hearing " it will cost a team two first round picks" wondering if that is actually true. Heck technically couldn't the Ravens send back a 2024 first round pick which would basically make acquiring Lamar the cost of just one first round pick. 

My understanding is the tag rules are written in stone.  I can't ever recall anyone mentioning that is an option, but I could be wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The following guys got 15s Dan Marino, Donovan McNabb, Jim Kelly & Terry Bradshaw. 

Is 2 points lower really that bad?  

Did anyone prepare for the Wonderlic/take it seriously some 40-50 years ago?

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The following guys got 15s Dan Marino, Donovan McNabb, Jim Kelly & Terry Bradshaw. 

Is 2 points lower really that bad?  

The test has changed and unlike then agents prep clients doing practice tests and teaching how to read & diagnose questions.

Lemar's mother did none of this.

She is a bad mother.

5 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

Shut up 

Lamar Jackson quit on his team last year and is injury prone and doesn’t show up in the playoffs.

RG3 just talks so people pay attention to his busted leg that can’t play anymore 

What, all he wants is something north of 230 million guaranteed. How can you not see that he is heroically fighting against the Man?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

9 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Th "team" thing confuses me the most in all of this.

The Ravens took a chance on Lamar when a lot of the league didn't believe in him and traded up to draft him with a SB winning,

high dollar QB, on the roster.

They made Lamar the starter and designed a team around him to succeed.  Then they gave him an extremely good offer at the start

of his 4th season.  I can only look at life through my own eyes, but I would have shown my "loyalty" to the team and signed it.

The Baltimore ownership and management have to feel a lot of regret where they find themselves now.  I wonder if Lamar even considers that?

You all are wild.  Why should he consider that?  This is basic business. Watson signed a deal for 230 million guaranteed.  Jackson is no less accomplished and his contract talks were coming up.  Of course he’ll want what Watson received plus more.  That’s usually how it works.   Lamar doesn’t have the issue.   The Haslem’s bad decision making is the issue.  

if I’m Lamar Jackson I won’t take less from Baltimore.  If I have to take less it will be in another uniform and I would not play on the tag either.  Sit out.  In that scenario they will trade him eventually.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

You all are wild.  Why should he consider that?  This is basic business. Watson signed a deal for 230 million guaranteed.  Jackson is no less accomplished and his contract talks were coming up.  Of course he’ll want what Watson received plus more.  That’s usually how it works.   Lamar doesn’t have the issue.   The Haslem’s bad decision making is the issue.  

if I’m Lamar Jackson I won’t take less from Baltimore.  If I have to take less it will be in another uniform and I would not play on the tag either.  Sit out.  In that scenario they will trade him eventually.

He won't get what he's looking for from anyone.  And in the meantime he'll cost himself $50M+.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, purple haze said:

so far that ego you share is costing him money he will never get back.

he may be well served to pay more attention to his own house instead of trying to outdo his neighbor. He’d not only likely be wealthier but also happier. His choice though.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

I think the Ravens are praying someone trades for him but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. At that point they’re basically screwed and he will probably sit or the Ravens could make an example out of him and just bench him. It could get ugly.

I said 2 years ago that the Jackson experiment in Baltimore was coming to a close and I still believe that. That first Bills game made their decision for them. That was his ceiling.

It’s time to move on before they all get fired.

Edited by Governor

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.