Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

4 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

Yet to be seen if the Browns made a monumental mistake. I get it, the Browns have a horrible track record, but they did what they thought they had to do. Lurking beneath their reputation is a pretty decent football team, & if Watson can shake the cobwebs off the Browns will definitely be a factor in the AFC this season.

Lamar for 150 Million or Watson for 200 million? I'm paying the 200 million. Watson doesn't have anything in his game that should put a ceiling over him while Lamar arguably does. I just couldn't commit the kind of money he wants until he shows he's better as a passer. He certainly  can be exciting at times. He's an incredible athlete. But for premium money I need a guy that can win from the pocket. Investing a large sum in somebody who can't is a disaster and certainly worth additional money to get somebody who can. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Lamar for 150 Million or Watson for 200 million? I'm paying the 200 million. Watson doesn't have anything in his game that should put a ceiling over him while Lamar arguably does. I just couldn't commit the kind of money he wants until he shows he's better as a passer. He certainly  can be exciting at times. He's an incredible athlete. But for premium money I need a guy that can win from the pocket. Investing a large sum in somebody who can't is a disaster and certainly worth additional money to get somebody who can. 

Watson is 31-28 (Jackson is 45-16).  Both are 1-2 in the playoffs for their careers. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Watson is 31-28 (Jackson is 45-16).  Both are 1-2 in the playoffs for their careers. 

I would say the Ravens had a slightly better core than Houston 🤣

I would also triple down on Watson going deeper in the playoffs in his career. Lamar will never see a championship game, Watson has a legit chance at a Super Bowl with the right group. Much better passer and that's what matters. Not regular season wins under Romans joke offense that Tyrod Taylor made the pro bowl with. 

• Agree 1

Lamar would already be signed to a large money contract if he had an agent, and this whole absurd dance would likely never have happened, the Lamar mindset is best described as a classic case of the Dunning Kruger syndrome…

7 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I would say the Ravens had a slightly better core than Houston 🤣

I would also triple down on Watson going deeper in the playoffs in his career. Lamar will never see a championship game, Watson has a legit chance at a Super Bowl with the right group. Much better passer and that's what matters. Not regular season wins under Romans joke offense that Tyrod Taylor made the pro bowl with. 

Watson won't see a championship game.  "The right group" is the Browns?

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Watson had a cutthroat agent and Lamar didn’t.  That’s the difference.

No...Watson has an idiot for an owner.  That's the difference.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Watson won't see a championship game.  "The right group" is the Browns?

Watson in Cleveland > Jackson in Baltimore

Look at what Watson did in Houston vs Lamar in Baltimore in playoff games (I don't know where you got 1-2 from, Lamar is 1-3). It's not close. 

Lamar Jackson 1-3

75 for 136,  55.88%,  225 Yards,  3 TD's and 5 INT's, 68.3 Passer rating

Deshawn Watson 1-2

80 for 126, 63.5%,  290 Yards, 4 TD's and 1 INT, 91 Passer Rating 

No, again, the difference is Lamar can't throw the ball. He would be signed right now if he could throw the ball. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Look at what Watson did in Houston vs Lamar in Baltimore in playoff games (I don't know where you got 1-2 from, Lamar is 1-3). It's not close. 

Lamar Jackson 1-3

Deshawn Watson 1-2

No, again, the difference is Lamar can't throw the ball. He would be signed right now if he could throw the ball. 

They each have a single career playoff win. Jackson wasn't good in the playoffs (I didn't suggest otherwise), but 4 passing TDs over 3 playoff games (in 2 of the games he had  a whopping total of 101 attempts completing only 59%)...stinks.  

Watson isn't taking the Browns to the SB, no matter how much you triple down on it

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's also a reason but if Lamar had an agent he wouldn't have stepped on the field for the 2021 season without a contract given his stock was sky high at the time being only one year removed from an MVP season.  Now it's two straight years without being able to finish the season with them due to injuries.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's also a reason but if Lamar had an agent he wouldn't have stepped on the field for the 2021 season without a contract given his stock was sky high at the time being only one year removed from an MVP season.  Now it's two straight years without being able to finish the season with them due to injuries.

Do you think his agent would have forced him somehow to accept a deal offered?

13 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Lamar Jackson 1-3

Deshawn Watson 1-2

Lamar has not been what one can call effective in the post season, he at this point is very likely to be a limited passer for the duration of his career. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Do you think his agent would have forced him somehow to accept a deal offered?

I think with an agent he would have gone a similar route as Kyler Murray. I think Murray's team knew the more he played the worse it was going to look, that, and he was under risk of injury given how he played. So instead of letting the deal expire then having the Cardinals in a position where they saw another year with god knows what possibly happening, Murray's camp aggressively pursued a new contract. Which ended up being pretty smart given Murray only hurt his stock prior to suffering a season ending injury.  

Edited by KzooMike

33 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I think with an agent he would have gone a similar route as Kyler Murray. I think Murray's team knew the more he played the worse it was going to look, that, and he was under risk of injury given how he played. So instead of letting the deal expire then having the Cardinals in a position where they saw another year with god knows what possibly happening, Murray's camp aggressively pursued a new contract. Which ended up being pretty smart given Murray only hurt his stock prior to suffering a season ending injury.  

Murray's agent would have gone aggressively after that deal because Murray wanted that deal, confident he was worthy of it.  It wouldn't make sense that only the agent, and not the team's FO, would take into consideration the potential for injury when demanding or offering a certain contract amount.  If the Cardinals were as worried about Murray's next injury they wouldn't have given him that crazy deal.

Having said that,  certainly the Ravens have Jackson's injury prone nature in mind in current negotiations.  There's no agent who could make that go away. 

On 4/16/2023 at 8:03 PM, Doc said:

OK then, it's only $25M. 

3% of $30m (max for agents, he could have negotiated lower).. so he has only lost $29.1m 😎

On 4/18/2023 at 5:43 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Murray's agent would have gone aggressively after that deal because Murray wanted that deal, confident he was worthy of it.  It wouldn't make sense that only the agent, and not the team's FO, would take into consideration the potential for injury when demanding or offering a certain contract amount.  If the Cardinals were as worried about Murray's next injury they wouldn't have given him that crazy deal.

Having said that,  certainly the Ravens have Jackson's injury prone nature in mind in current negotiations.  There's no agent who could make that go away. 

The Murray deal did not favors to Lamar or the Ravens. Is Murray a guy you want leading your franchise. At least up to this contract fiasco, Lamar has shown leadership and a great work ethic. Bad owners in Cleveland and Arizona have created an unwarranted market. The Hurts deal could possibly do the same but a bit early to tell. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.