Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

On 4/1/2023 at 12:21 AM, NyQuil said:

Bulldog was really high on Jackson and want the Bills to draft him back in 2018 so he's always been pro Jackson. Its getting pretty bad though with how he keeps defending him and calling out teams for not wanting to talk to him. I think a little bit of it has to do with the sunk cost fallacy. He's spent so much time being a fan that he just can't be objective. It's hard to say "I was wrong."

One thing that drives me mad whether if its Bulldog or other pundits is how they throw around that he is an MVP but never mention that it was four years ago and he hasn't finished that last two seasons. They also never bring up his 1-3 playoff record.

A lot of pundits who want industry cred tend to overlook that hard reality of a market every time a player is on the market.  I'm actually surprised no one has yet claimed that owners have colluded with each other to make sure another large pay-out for a QB does not happen.  Or maybe it has and I missed that.

I'd also expect owners to see that there are significant headwinds economically happening in the US right now and to balance a large expenditure, even at QB, against that consideration.  An outlay of 200M guaranteed is not the kind of financial decision a NFL team is going to take right now and especially not for someone who's had those injuries as you alluded to.   

40 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

A lot of pundits who want industry cred tend to overlook that hard reality of a market every time a player is on the market.  I'm actually surprised no one has yet claimed that owners have colluded with each other to make sure another large pay-out for a QB does not happen.  Or maybe it has and I missed that.

I'd also expect owners to see that there are significant headwinds economically happening in the US right now and to balance a large expenditure, even at QB, against that consideration.  An outlay of 200M guaranteed is not the kind of financial decision a NFL team is going to take right now and especially not for someone who's had those injuries as you alluded to.   

I've seen quite a few people make that claim.

31 people deciding they don't want to eat a ***** sandwich just because Cleveland likes their steamers doesn't mean it's collusion. It's just common sense.

• Like (+1) 4

On 3/30/2023 at 1:50 PM, Southern_Bills said:

It's 63,977,000 the next 3 years, good luck fielding a team lol.

His contract is set up so it can be restructured on a yearly basis. It clears about $30M against the cap each season to do so. They will simply continue to do so. 

On 3/28/2023 at 10:52 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Pretty straight forward. His $$$ "demands" are shooting himself in the foot. He could and should be sitting on a $20M Signing Bonus, and ~$150 guaranteed contract already, enjoying his offseason in South Florida.

But I am surprised the Atlanta Falcons haven't jumped on this yet. They have the cash, picks, and motivation.

This is the first time I've heard of any concerns regarding habits/training. 

If sleep habits and nutrition are concerns now then either that gets fixed or once he gets a few years older his body will just fall apart due to his demanding (on the body) style of play. You can get away with stuff when you're younger that you can't once you add a few years. 

Brady haunted us for as long as he did precisely because of that type of stuff, taken to an insane level of dedication and commitment. Even he started off not being anywhere near as disciplined though, and he's talked about that.

So Lamar can always start the avocado smoothies and yoga but he's really costing himself here.

Edited by TheFunPolice

On 3/31/2023 at 11:21 PM, NyQuil said:

Bulldog was really high on Jackson and want the Bills to draft him back in 2018 so he's always been pro Jackson. Its getting pretty bad though with how he keeps defending him and calling out teams for not wanting to talk to him. I think a little bit of it has to do with the sunk cost fallacy. He's spent so much time being a fan that he just can't be objective. It's hard to say "I was wrong."

One thing that drives me mad whether if its Bulldog or other pundits is how they throw around that he is an MVP but never mention that it was four years ago and he hasn't finished that last two seasons. They also never bring up his 1-3 playoff record.

as a middle of the first round pick, it’s hard to say anyone singing his praises was “wrong.” Objectively he’s been a great pick even with headaches.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Sorry but questioning someone's sleep habits and nutrition is speaking ill of their character

I dunno about that.

You can be a taco-eating night owl and still be an excellent human being.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

as a middle of the first round pick, it’s hard to say anyone singing his praises was “wrong.” Objectively he’s been a great pick even with headaches.

He was picked 32nd overall. Last pick in the 1st rd. 

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Very disturbing how dumb Jackson is being about almost all related to his new contract, from his initial decision to not get a real agent, to his unreasonable demands,  to his most recent tweet.

While I do not think it is likely he would have been be a QB consistently leading a team to contend for a championship, he could have had an excellent career and made a slew of money.

But he has made all of the wrong moves, greatly diminishing his value and the respect people once had for him. These moves may define his career if he doesn't change his mindset soon and also get some good, professional representation.

Just wait until he’s black balled and not signed and then he starts to claim all his bad decisions on CTE 

• Haha (+1) 1

Lamar has done everything in the book wrong.  No team is going to deal with him now because he does not have an agent, and no GM or coach is going to want to hear a guy like this plead his case when he is shooting for completely unrealistic and over inflated contract numbers $ wise.  Just like Lamer himself.  He is is tooting his own horn and is so full of himself.  He is a choke artist and IMO not even not a top 10 QB in this league.

I absolutely hate every sports show and analyst out there that says pay the man.  Pay him for what?   He is average at best compared to his competing QB talent on other teams.  He won a MVP,  whoop dee doo,  that is all this guy has done.  His MVP year personally was nothing to write home about.  He only received it because he ran all over the place that year.  If he is "SO GREAT" why did the lose in the Divisional playoffs to the Titans.

Lamar Jackson had a passer rating of 63.2 with 365 yards, 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions in 1 game against the Titans in the 2019 playoffs.

As a matter of fact he has never had over a 74 QB passer rating in any playoff gave he has ever started.

Yeah these type of playoff stats and performances warrants the highest guaranteed QB money ever!!   LOL,  smoke some more........

The Munsters Smoking GIF

He played like crap in all the playoff games he started, and hasn't done anything in the playoffs for his team, accept for losing.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/1/2023 at 12:21 AM, NyQuil said:

I mean he’s a 26 year old former MVP, Heisman winner, who has basically a 100 qb rating, who is the best rushing qb ever and has a 45-16 record, who is struggling to get a deal signed. This never happens. Scrub qbs get paid all the time. Daniel Jines is getting $40 million after throwing 15 td passes.

obviously there are a lot of valid reasons why this has been a tough negotiation. But to act like there are other reasons that makes people question things is valid too. He was called a rb (and still is by some fans) after an amazing college career. He got drafted behind garbage qbs. Everything he does good gets discounted. I get both sides but with dudes like Wentz, Goff, Jones, Murray, etc get paid, it’s weird that a guy with such a better resume doesn’t. And I get the reasons but Jackson has been disrespect since he entered the nfl. 

13 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Lamar has done everything in the book wrong.  No team is going to deal with him now because he does not have an agent, and no GM or coach is going to want to hear a guy like this plead his case when he is shooting for completely unrealistic and over inflated contract numbers $ wise.  Just like Lamer himself.  He is is tooting his own horn and is so full of himself.  He is a choke artist and IMO not even not a top 10 QB in this league.

I absolutely hate every sports show and analyst out there that says pay the man.  Pay him for what?   He is average at best compared to his competing QB talent on other teams.  He won a MVP,  whoop dee doo,  that is all this guy has done.  His MVP year personally was nothing to write home about.  He only received it because he ran all over the place that year.  If he is "SO GREAT" why did the lose in the Divisional playoffs to the Titans.

Lamar Jackson had a passer rating of 63.2 with 365 yards, 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions in 1 game against the Titans in the 2019 playoffs.

As a matter of fact he has never had over a 74 QB passer rating in any playoff gave he has ever started.

Yeah these type of playoff stats and performances warrants the highest guaranteed QB money ever!!   LOL,  smoke some more........

The Munsters Smoking GIF

He played like crap in all the playoff games he started, and hasn't done anything in the playoffs for his team, accept for losing.

He’s 26 and you yadda yadda a mvp. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

56 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Lamar ... IMO not even not a top 10 QB in this league.

His MVP year personally was nothing to write home about. 

Go on then, who are the 10 (or more) QBs ahead of him? I would not have him in my top 5 for sure but I am not at all sure I could pick 10+ who are better than him.

As for his MVP season, I would say that throwing for 3,127 yards with a passer rating of 113.3 and 36 TDs and rushing for 1,206 yards and 7 TDS was most definitely somthing to write home about.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely in the camp that he has handled the whole contract thing badly and I suspect that at the start of the season he will either be playing on the tag or sitting the season out as I can't see anyone paying him what he wants (and, frankly, I don't think he is worth it) but I don't get the hate on him as a QB.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean he’s a 26 year old former MVP, Heisman winner, who has basically a 100 qb rating, who is the best rushing qb ever and has a 45-16 record, who is struggling to get a deal signed. This never happens. Scrub qbs get paid all the time. Daniel Jines is getting $40 million after throwing 15 td passes.

obviously there are a lot of valid reasons why this has been a tough negotiation. But to act like there are other reasons that makes people question things is valid too. He was called a rb (and still is by some fans) after an amazing college career. He got drafted behind garbage qbs. Everything he does good gets discounted. I get both sides but with dudes like Wentz, Goff, Jones, Murray, etc get paid, it’s weird that a guy with such a better resume doesn’t. And I get the reasons but Jackson has been disrespect since he entered the nfl. 

The only person stopping Lamar from getting paid is Lamar. The only people that don’t realize that are Lamar and you, apparently. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

His contract is set up so it can be restructured on a yearly basis. It clears about $30M against the cap each season to do so. They will simply continue to do so. 

And that works great when it isn't fully guaranteed. So if they convert 20 million next season then the next 2 years will be 73,977,000.

Then there is only 2 years left do 20 again and his final year will cost 93,977,000.

Players aren't going to leave cash on the table, he wants every penny, like all players. When contracts aren't guaranteed it leaves way more room to fudge numbers.

It's simple math, players will have to take less overall if they want guaranteed contracts, or a massive raise in the salary cap is coming.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I dont think he is a good enough passer but I also agree with what you are saying to a certain extent.  Where you lose me is acting like its a surprise when other QBs have gotten paid.  Outside of the Watson outlier those QBs didnt get paid what Lamar is looking for.  Lamar could have had a contract in Mahomes/Josh area but that wasnt good enough for him.  He wanted to be max max contract.  He isnt good enough for that contract.  Its his own fault that he hasnt gotten paid... he turned down getting paid.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Its fully guaranteed.  At some point the restructure will cost them the entire salaray cap.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, mrags said:

He was picked 32nd overall. Last pick in the 1st rd. 

Just wait until he’s black balled and not signed and then he starts to claim all his bad decisions on CTE 

touche- by memory I thought he was like 20th. 

to take a qb that is a tier or two down the board and get what they’ve got is a big win. Hard to call the pick anything but a massive success however this plays out.

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

And that works great when it isn't fully guaranteed. So if they convert 20 million next season then the next 2 years will be 73,977,000.

Then there is only 2 years left do 20 again and his final year will cost 93,977,000.

Players aren't going to leave cash on the table, he wants every penny, like all players. When contracts aren't guaranteed it leaves way more room to fudge numbers.

It's simple math, players will have to take less overall if they want guaranteed contracts, or a massive raise in the salary cap is coming.

the fully guaranteed nature doesn’t change the restructure accounting much. 

16 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

touche- by memory I thought he was like 20th. 

to take a qb that is a tier or two down the board and get what they’ve got is a big win. Hard to call the pick anything but a massive success however this plays out.

the fully guaranteed nature doesn’t change the restructure accounting much. 

Because of where he was picked I’d say he has been 50/50. He was still a first round pick. And as good as Lamar has been at times, he’s also been an issue, mainly with health/injuries. But his consistency hasn’t been the greatest either. 

either way, they’ve fumbled the whole situation by allowing it to get as bad as it has. Or maybe they are right as an Org and don’t want to waste their future on a guy that has proven that availability isn’t his strong suit. 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Because of where he was picked I’d say he has been 50/50. He was still a first round pick. And as good as Lamar has been at times, he’s also been an issue, mainly with health/injuries. But his consistency hasn’t been the greatest either. 

either way, they’ve fumbled the whole situation by allowing it to get as bad as it has. Or maybe they are right as an Org and don’t want to waste their future on a guy that has proven that availability isn’t his strong suit. 

if the bills pick a guy with 75% of the impact we would call him an absolute steal at our first round pick. You don’t have to like the guy to acknowledge he was a great pick.

8 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is the first time I've heard of any concerns regarding habits/training. 

If sleep habits and nutrition are concerns now then either that gets fixed or once he gets a few years older his body will just fall apart due to his demanding (on the body) style of play. You can get away with stuff when you're younger that you can't once you add a few years. 

Brady haunted us for as long as he did precisely because of that type of stuff, taken to an insane level of dedication and commitment. Even he started off not being anywhere near as disciplined though, and he's talked about that.

So Lamar can always start the avocado smoothies and yoga but he's really costing himself here.

Really???  Was always reported he'd skip town on off days to party in Florida etc 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.