Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

4 minutes ago, arcane said:

Lamar is a pretty good quarterback, who wins regular season football games and is very dangerous with his legs. 

I don't understand how Bulldog and other pundits/fans around the country are so baffled that teams aren't lining up to offer their firstborns for him, or that the Ravens won't just hand over a fully guaranteed version of the Allen contract. 

He has spent the last snaps of his team's season injured and unable to play for three consecutive years. Despite playing 15, 12, 12 games the last three seasons, none of them had more than 3000 passing yards. In his last 24 games, he has 33 passing touchdowns and 5 rushing touchdowns. He has done nothing of note in the NFL playoffs. 

He is a lot better than what many teams have, for sure. Those teams are right to wonder if they should give up a trade haul and contract commensurate with a passer who can play full seasons deep into playoff runs and compete with Mahomes, Allen and Burrow. 

They act like it's unconscionable, and hint at nefarious undertones, because this is the kind of people they are. But it's really pretty simple. 

I never envied the Ravens having to make a decision to marry Jackson. I don't know why any team would put themselves in that position willingly. Even more so over a massive guaranteed contract. As far as nefarious undertones, if Lamar had an agent the agent would have said don't dig in on the guaranteed contract. That is the biggest reason nobody is interested. I mean the NFL is being accused of collision over this topic. It is not in the owners best interests to give out a contract that Lamar is seeking. So he is putting his potential suiters in a conflict of interest which is just not a good place to be in a negotiation. That is what is happening. Having said that, you can twist this into even worse. He's a black QB, black QB's have been black balled before. Omit a fact here or there. Just discuss how a former NFL MVP QB has no interest in the open market. Spin it around and it becomes whatever you want.  

40 minutes ago, arcane said:

Lamar is a pretty good quarterback, who wins regular season football games and is very dangerous with his legs. 

I don't understand how Bulldog and other pundits/fans around the country are so baffled that teams aren't lining up to offer their firstborns for him, or that the Ravens won't just hand over a fully guaranteed version of the Allen contract. 

He has spent the last snaps of his team's season injured and unable to play for three consecutive years. Despite playing 15, 12, 12 games the last three seasons, none of them had more than 3000 passing yards. In his last 24 games, he has 33 passing touchdowns and 5 rushing touchdowns. He has done nothing of note in the NFL playoffs. 

He is a lot better than what many teams have, for sure. Those teams are right to wonder if they should give up a trade haul and contract commensurate with a passer who can play full seasons deep into playoff runs and compete with Mahomes, Allen and Burrow. 

They act like it's unconscionable, and hint at nefarious undertones, because this is the kind of people they are. But it's really pretty simple. 

I agree. So he has 38 total tds & 25 total turnovers(20 ints, 5 lost fumbles) in the last 2 years combined. He's not worth top tier qb money, let alone that much guaranteed.

58 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I really do feel like Lamar is going to screw himself out of hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I really do feel like this is a Jedeveon Clowney type of situation. He’s coming across as a total basket case. Nobody will pay him what he seeks.

It feels even weirder than that. More like a Barry Sanders situation.

22 minutes ago, Governor said:

It feels even weirder than that. More like a Barry Sanders situation.

I'm not familiar with the Barry Sanders situation, but I will say Lamar is making the biggest contact blunder I have personally ever seen.

At this point I wonder if he's going to suddenly retire and dissappear for a year, might be best case scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I really do feel like Lamar is going to screw himself out of hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I really do feel like this is a Jedeveon Clowney type of situation. He’s coming across as a total basket case. Nobody will pay him what he seeks.

He did that a while ago.  He should have started to listen to negotiations after his 3rd season and got it done like Allen, and many other qbs, did.

Instead he bet on himself as a player and an agent and now he's kind of stuck.

I still think he's a good player but he's causing more problems at this point with his demands than anything and could end up getting even less than he wanted because of it.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

the question isn’t will someone pay him what he seeks. That answer’s apparent: No (at least for now.) The real question is whether he’s justified in asking what he is asking for. I think given the Watson contract he’s well within his rights to pursue something like that. 

I’m not saying he handled this well-it’s pretty apparent he hasn’t. And he has lost out on $ just on return over time. But I do give him credit for pointing at the owners, as a collective, and saying “hey, if you’re going to allow one of your own to pay a sex pest (with no MVPs) an unprecedented contract without so much as a peep publicly,” yeah, fight for all the dollars you can get. 

Like you hear all these pearl clutching owners now from Baltimore and Atlanta now when speaking about Lamar - were these guys asleep at the wheels of their yachts when Haslem did that deal with Watson? Could they not have convened one of their little covens with Goddell and told them “nah, that aint gonna fly, especially with this pervert”? Of course they could have. But they didn’t. Because if there’s one rule these owners follow it’s “we don’t eat our own.” Snyder is exhibit A of this - he should’ve been out 10 years ago. 

But Lamar is the one with the problems. Got it. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

One of the worst takes I've seen on this. Didn't this guy used to be funny? Just pay someone whatever they want otherwise you are a racist? When the highest paid QB is black and Lamar is trying to copy a fully guaranteed contract from another black QB? Embarrassing. People need to vilify such race bating posts

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

One of the worst takes I've seen on this. Didn't this guy used to be funny? Just pay someone whatever they want otherwise you are a racist? When the highest paid QB is black and Lamar is trying to copy a fully guaranteed contract from another black QB? Embarrassing. People need to vilify such race bating posts

It's insane. The real issue is other GMs/Owners are looking at Watsons contract wondering how Cleveland will field a competitive team next year.

I think his cap hit is in the 60s the next couple of years, because they converted some salary to signing bonus this year. On a fully guaranteed contract those tricks don't work as well.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

It's insane. The real issue is other GMs/Owners are looking at Watsons contract wondering how Cleveland will field a competitive team next year.

I think his cap hit is in the 60s the next couple of years, because they converted some salary to signing bonus this year. On a fully guaranteed contract those tricks don't work as well.

On Watson’s K? I don’t think the cap hit is that high.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

I mean, you’re the one signal boosting a stupid take by Marlon Waynes. I guess you’re doing it just to “vilify” it right?

15 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

On Watson’s K? I don’t think the cap hit is that high.

I mean, you’re the one signal boosting a stupid take by Marlon Waynes. I guess you’re doing it just to “vilify” it right?

Absolutely. Unless people speak out against such nonsense then the real unjust situations in the world will never be taken seriously

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

It's a combination of a lot of things. Cleveland messed up with that contract. 31 other teams know that and I'd argue most of the players do too. Lamar is a pretty unique player. He's arguably the best athlete on the field on any given play but he also isn't a fantastic passer. Would he be as effective in a different offense? It's hard to say but the fact he has been injured and his passing numbers are good, not great makes it extremely difficult to justify spending at least two 1's and a fully guaranteed deal. NFL owners will do just about anything to win, but they didnt become billionaires by making dumb deals 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I'm not familiar with the Barry Sanders situation, but I will say Lamar is making the biggest contact blunder I have personally ever seen.

At this point I wonder if he's going to suddenly retire and dissappear for a year, might be best case scenario. 

He won't disappear he's got that gym thing he's trying to sell. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Here's a pundit, former player, who I disagree with. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-lamar-jackson-being-hurt-by-patrick-mahomes-b-s-contract-according-to-former-nfl-star/ He's saying:

Former NFL star Richard Sherman blames that on other quarterbacks like Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen. The five-time Pro Bowler says Mahomes should have looked to set a "precedent" with a fully guaranteed deal instead of taking the "B.S." 10-year contract that he ended up accepting. 

and

Sherman is essentially saying that Jackson lost any leverage he might have had for a fully guaranteed deal when Mahomes and Allen didn't try to get one. Also, the Watson deal hasn't helped things, because his contract has backfired so far with Watson struggling through his first season in Cleveland. 

Like Cleveland over-valued Watson, I think Sherman here over-values Jackson. And to angrily call out Mahomes and Allen out as the root cause of Jackson's situation is just over the top.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, boater said:

Here's a pundit, former player, who I disagree with. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-lamar-jackson-being-hurt-by-patrick-mahomes-b-s-contract-according-to-former-nfl-star/ He's saying:

and

Like Cleveland over-valued Watson, I think Sherman here over-values Jackson. And to angrily call out Mahomes and Allen out as the root cause of Jackson's situation is just over the top.

I mean he's not wrong, if you're not giving those contracts to players at the same position winning their teams more games in the post season then why would you give him one?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boater said:

and

It's Mahomes' and Josh's faults that they're not selfish and greedy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:25 PM, arcane said:

Bulldog was really high on Jackson and want the Bills to draft him back in 2018 so he's always been pro Jackson. Its getting pretty bad though with how he keeps defending him and calling out teams for not wanting to talk to him. I think a little bit of it has to do with the sunk cost fallacy. He's spent so much time being a fan that he just can't be objective. It's hard to say "I was wrong."

One thing that drives me mad whether if its Bulldog or other pundits is how they throw around that he is an MVP but never mention that it was four years ago and he hasn't finished that last two seasons. They also never bring up his 1-3 playoff record.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/30/2023 at 2:59 PM, boater said:

and

I agree with him as far as Mahomes goes. That man at that time only losses in the playoffs were to Brady. He could have gotten a lot more if he wanted to, maybe he like Allen saw how BIG deals hurt the team.. look at Rogers, always got top tier deals but has won 1 SB and the Packers always under perform in the playoffs.  While Brady took less and constantly was in the SB and championship games.  

• Like (+1) 1

Very disturbing how dumb Jackson is being about almost all related to his new contract, from his initial decision to not get a real agent, to his unreasonable demands,  to his most recent tweet.

While I do not think it is likely he would have been be a QB consistently leading a team to contend for a championship, he could have had an excellent career and made a slew of money.

But he has made all of the wrong moves, greatly diminishing his value and the respect people once had for him. These moves may define his career if he doesn't change his mindset soon and also get some good, professional representation.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I agree with him as far as Mahomes goes. That man at that time only losses in the playoffs were to Brady. He could have gotten a lot more if he wanted to, maybe he like Allen saw how BIG deals hurt the team.. look at Rogers, always got top tier deals but has won 1 SB and the Packers always under perform in the playoffs.  While Brady took less and constantly was in the SB and championship games.  

That likely was a large part of why they accepted those contracts. They realize they’re competing against each other and they’ll need that extra lineman, wr, etc. They’re also aware that winning gets endorsement cash. Heck, Montana still gets endorsements. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.