Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I heard Mike Florio and Chris Simms make this point. The people in the media egging him on are much worse than the people telling him to stop being stupid. It's like a bystander at a high roller table cheering on as some idiot makes big stupid bet after big stupid bet. It's fun watching someone bet it all on red when it isn't your money to lose. When the high roller inevitably loses and ends up broke, the bystander will just sheepishly walk on over to the next table.

That's a good point.  I wonder who he surrounds himself with as there seems nobody in his inner circle that will give him some tough love and tell him why he needs an agent now more than ever.  Growing up without a father is tough as mine would've hit me beside the head and say hire a darn agent you idiot.

2 hours ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

Let Lamar sit - then he’ll learn. It’s not his league.  If he had won a SB & played every game of a season - then he might make demands, but he is nowhere close.  Bye-bye Greedy 

clown take. What has Watson ever won? Cousins? But Lamar should just shut up and take what he’s offered right? 

5 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

I don’t think that reported text was meek mills, I believe this is from “Meloveulongtime Mills”. 

Kraft had his contacts confused 

Wait...so some random guy with the handle “Meloveulongtime Mills” has Kraft's cell number? Wow.

EDIT: oh, wait...this was a joke...I get it now [I'm a little slow].

Edited by chongli
  • Haha (+1) 1

What I do is offer him a 5 year $250 million dollar contract with $150 mil guaranteed or 5 year $150 mil and all is guaranteed. That way he gets the option of all guaranteed or some. I no this won't happen and he would not accept the second option, but his demands and reasons are not realistic based on injuries the last 2 seasons. Also I get tired of former players stating that Patrick and Josh ruined it for the others. I say that Minnesota with Cousins and the Browns with Watson are who cause this problem. 

12 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah like BB is going to give that guy a 250+mil fully guaranteed contract.  They paid Brady peanuts.

lol so true! But let’s be honest it’s Kraft who would say No it’s real money and won’t agree to that.  Add to it LamR injury history and any team be dumb give up 2 1st and all that guarantee money for someone that’s game is based mostly on his legs.

• Agree 1

Usually a player (of Lamar Jackson's caliber) can look towards the Top 5 contracts at his position as the rough parameters of a deal.  But the NFL is in a very unique place when it comes to Quarterback contracts right now.  Especially when it comes to the guaranteed money.

• Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen would normally be a standard benchmark, mostly due to age and talent.  But both of them signed extremely team-friendly deals without much long-term money guaranteed.  
  • Deshaun Watson is considered an outlier, because he DID get a fully guaranteed contract despite off-field concerns.  Teams are trying to make a point not to make his deal the norm.
  • Russell Wilson signed the big contract and then totally busted, which acts as a warning against giving out a fully guaranteed contract.

Then you have Jackson himself, who has been dealing with injuries the last two seasons.  His style of play is a long-term concern.  Whether he can succeed outside Greg Roman's unique offensive scheme is a concern.  It's totally understandable why teams are reluctant to give him what he wants.

• Like (+1) 2

The Lamar stuff is so confusing. He bet on himself and lost and then doubled down by not getting an Agent so the restricted free agency period essentially is a bust. So now his best offer is going to be the offer sitting on the table that the Ravens are giving him. Just crazy stuff 

Pretty straight forward. His $$$ "demands" are shooting himself in the foot. He could and should be sitting on a $20M Signing Bonus, and ~$150 guaranteed contract already, enjoying his offseason in South Florida.

But I am surprised the Atlanta Falcons haven't jumped on this yet. They have the cash, picks, and motivation.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

No surprise and what most of us thought from the beginning.  The question is, what do the owners do to prevent a Browns (and to a lesser extent Vikings) type panic move in the future?

I dont think they should. If one team wants to make a huge mistake, let them. It'll just be up to the other teams to be smarter and not do the same thing. If players see the one bad move as a precedent, that's on them.

8 hours ago, PaBills said:

What I do is offer him a 5 year $250 million dollar contract with $150 mil guaranteed or 5 year $150 mil and all is guaranteed. That way he gets the option of all guaranteed or some. I no this won't happen and he would not accept the second option, but his demands and reasons are not realistic based on injuries the last 2 seasons. Also I get tired of former players stating that Patrick and Josh ruined it for the others. I say that Minnesota with Cousins and the Browns with Watson are who cause this problem. 

Cousins IMO was not an issue.  it was a three year contact and he showed that he was available just about every game unlike Jackson.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Cousins IMO was not an issue.  it was a three year contact and he showed that he was available just about every game unlike Jackson.

Exactly. Furthermore, it was for a lower amount because it was fully guaranteed. He took less than market value, fully guaranteed.

Kirk signed 3/$84M, which gave him $28M/year. At the same time most other franchise QBs were making ~$32-35M/yr. There has to be a trade off.

Lamar wants to have his money and eat it too.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, PaBills said:

Why in god's name would he not take the former?  He'd be playing for 50 million a year in your first option and 30 million a year in your second option with the exact same amount of guaranteed money.  If it was a shorter term deal (3 years, 150 million guaranteed) that would make a lot more sense.  I'm not sure Lamar would agree to that though.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

Lamar is a pretty good quarterback, who wins regular season football games and is very dangerous with his legs. 

I don't understand how Bulldog and other pundits/fans around the country are so baffled that teams aren't lining up to offer their firstborns for him, or that the Ravens won't just hand over a fully guaranteed version of the Allen contract. 

He has spent the last snaps of his team's season injured and unable to play for three consecutive years. Despite playing 15, 12, 12 games the last three seasons, none of them had more than 3000 passing yards. In his last 24 games, he has 33 passing touchdowns and 5 rushing touchdowns. He has done nothing of note in the NFL playoffs. 

He is a lot better than what many teams have, for sure. Those teams are right to wonder if they should give up a trade haul and contract commensurate with a passer who can play full seasons deep into playoff runs and compete with Mahomes, Allen and Burrow. 

They act like it's unconscionable, and hint at nefarious undertones, because this is the kind of people they are. But it's really pretty simple. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.